Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

Hey guys I'm new to posting but have been lurking for a few months now. Anyways I live up near 84th and i-25 and can see lte slowly spreading down. I was up at 92nd and washington this week and was getting lte. Needless to say we were both excited to see how fast the speed was compared to what we get now. I ran a few speed tests.

post-22411-0-22354700-1376087864_thumb.png

Sprint 3G speeds have always been more like EDGE speeds, but yes I agree it's been slower than usual.

At US-36 and Pecos is probably one of the worst coverage zones I pass through on a regular basis. Something is wrong with their network around there since I always drop 3G while looking at the Signal Check app. My fear is that it's going to be that way even when NV takes over because it seems like a coverage black hole.

At US-36 and Pecos is probably one of the worst coverage zones I pass through on a regular basis. Something is wrong with their network around there since I always drop 3G while looking at the Signal Check app. My fear is that it's going to be that way even when NV takes over because it seems like a coverage black hole.

There is hope, As they turn on 1x800 voice (part of the NV plan) those frequencies have a longer coverage range and better building penetration. Most NV towers are listed as getting 1x800 voice. Long term, there will also be 800 LTE.

Guess where I work, right smack in the middle of that hole. :(

xiutehcuhtli: Are you still picking up LTE downtown?  I have been trying to pick it up and have yet to and I pass by 17th and Broadway frequently (as in every day twice a day).  How many floors up are you when you pick it up and how strong is the signal when you do get it?

xiutehcuhtli: Are you still picking up LTE downtown?  I have been trying to pick it up and have yet to and I pass by 17th and Broadway frequently (as in every day twice a day).  How many floors up are you when you pick it up and how strong is the signal when you do get it?

I can get it in one corner of my building and think I can see the tower way in the distance from the window.  I'm 18 floors up, but if I stand in that corner I know I will get 4G.  I do it almost every day.  I have started leaving my phone over there and tethering my tablet it is that reliable for me.

Interestingly, I can't get on the 16th floor or 20th in the exact same spot, the signal seems to hit JUST 17-19.

My god is Denver slow.  There are like no NV sites in the main metro areas of Denver.  I hope Sprint really picks up the pace soon.  While they might have LTE 2600 in Denver, the majority of LTE customers cannot take advantage of that right now since triband LTE phones have not been released.

My god is Denver slow.  There are like no NV sites in the main metro areas of Denver.  I hope Sprint really picks up the pace soon.  While they might have LTE 2600 in Denver, the majority of LTE customers cannot take advantage of that right now since triband LTE phones have not been released.

Not really sure what the point of this post is. Yes, we're a third round market and just got our first LTE tower two months ago. Welcome to Colorado. Now go back to SoCal and tell all your friends that it's absolutely horrible out here and they sure as hell don't want to move out here. I mean, it's SOOO SLOW with "like no NV sites". LA is where it's at. 

• Like 3

My god is Denver slow. There are like no NV sites in the main metro areas of Denver. I hope Sprint really picks up the pace soon. While they might have LTE 2600 in Denver, the majority of LTE customers cannot take advantage of that right now since triband LTE phones have not been released.

Yea, they have LTE 2600 all around the metro, but they also have WiMax all over too. I'll take Denver's position with WiMax/LTE 2600 and actively receiving LTE 1900 deployment. And when you consider it is a Samsung market, they'll get CDMA 800 earlier than most, and probably LTE 800 too!

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Yup, it's a bit frustrating. Not all the cells are slow, there are some towers near my house that I can get over 1.5 Mb download speeds with 3G even thought they are not listed as being upgraded to NV. So far the NV project for Denver seem to have only hit a few towers in the NE quadrant of the metro area with none in the city limits.  They've also hit a few towers in Colo Spgs, Hopefully they'll get their a** in gear before the winter slows them down.

Yup, it's a bit frustrating. Not all the cells are slow, there are some towers near my house that I can get over 1.5 Mb download speeds with 3G even thought they are not listed as being upgraded to NV. So far the NV project for Denver seem to have only hit a few towers in the NE quadrant of the metro area with none in the city limits.  They've also hit a few towers in Colo Spgs, Hopefully they'll get their a** in gear before the winter slows them down.

Exactly.  Once the winter comes, its going to be harder for the Denver crews to get sites up and running since the conditions to climb up the towers to install the panels and RRUs is more dangerous.  I just hope it has a bunch of sites in the metro area are upgraded to NV equipment before the winter comes regardless if LTE is accepted at that time.  The key is to take advantage of the better weather now to climb up those towers to install the RRUs and panels and install the cabinets.  Lighting up LTE when waiting for backhaul shouldn't be that bad when its mainly ground work which can be done in the winter.

There are dozens of sites I've seen from Walsenburg up through Denver that have new panels/RRU's installed but not yet accepted. They do have their ass in gear. Please stop the blathering.

• Like 6

Yea, they have LTE 2600 all around the metro, but they also have WiMax all over too. I'll take Denver's position with WiMax/LTE 2600 and actively receiving LTE 1900 deployment. And when you consider it is a Samsung market, they'll get CDMA 800 earlier than most, and probably LTE 800 too!

No, No, NO! Robert. It's horrible out here, right?? <wink wink> Why leave the glory of SoCal <gag> with all it's LTE and fast NV, and come out here to cow-town Colorado, with its <supposedly> God-awful slow NV progress?

I think I need to explain some things to you about Californians and Coloradans and how the former shall not inhabit the latter's state. We need them to think that this is the crazy Wild Wild West out here, not NV nirvana. Ya pickin' up what I'm throwin' up?? :D  

• Like 1

No, No, NO! Robert. It's horrible out here, right?? Why leave the glory of SoCal with all it's LTE and fast NV, and come out here to cow-town Colorado, with its God-awful slow NV progress?

I think I need to explain some things to you about Californians and Coloradans and how the former shall not inhabit the latter's state. We need them to think that this is the crazy Wild Wild West out here, not NV nirvana. Ya pickin' up what I'm throwin' up?? :D

You are my new best friend. Just thought you should know.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

No, No, NO! Robert. It's horrible out here, right?? <wink wink> Why leave the glory of SoCal <gag> with all it's LTE and fast NV, and come out here to cow-town Colorado, with its <supposedly> God-awful slow NV progress?

Heh, heh.  You just said you're throwing up.  :rofl:

Robert

Can't help myself..lived in Denver for almost 30 years..raised two kids who both are actually

productive adults paying taxes into the system  read->not just consumers and facebook addicts!

Denver, when I moved there is 1971 from Utah had <1 Mil people  plenty of open areas and easy

to get to the ski areas..fast fwd 42 years and > 4 Mil people for Denver...whatever Denver

had over LA/OC is long gone..take it from someone that has lived it!  The Eagles Hit Paradise Lost

applies to other places besides SoCal, methinks...God, Robert will kill me for this one!