AT&T Band 30

red_dog007

So...

AT&T had stated summer Band 30 deployments iirc.

Has Band 30 been spotted anywhere yet? Or B30 equipment if it is still just in testing mode?

They're popping up rapidly in numerous places. Building permits and zoning are coming through. 4T4R Ericsson RRUS32 band 30 equipment. Unsure if Alcatel-Lucent is still supplying the band 30 equipment to them considering the Nokia buyout.
  • Like 1

I'm seeing B30 capable antennas going up all over the place.

Here's some on the ground waiting to be hoisted up:

FGFRyfD.jpg

And the bottom of the antenna (notice the 2360Mhz upper limit):

Svm4M9s.jpg

(This is Ericsson gear BTW, they supply equipment for everybody except Sprint in CLT)

Deployment here seems to be pretty random. Some sites getting it need it but others are totally fine on capacity. I guess they're just deploying wherever the permits clear first.

• Like 3

They're popping up rapidly in numerous places. Building permits and zoning are coming through. 4T4R Ericsson RRUS32 band 30 equipment. Unsure if Alcatel-Lucent is still supplying the band 30 equipment to them considering the Nokia buyout.

I'm guessing AT&T is rolling out 5x5 and 10x10 chunks?  In my area (Jax, FL), AT&T seems to have rolled out Band 5 almost everywhere where capacity was an issue and since they have all of the Cellular 800 licenses, they have LTE on 10x10 everywhere around me.

• Like 1

I'm seeing B30 capable antennas going up all over the place.

Here's some on the ground waiting to be hoisted up:

And the bottom of the antenna (notice the 2360Mhz upper limit):

(This is Ericsson gear BTW, they supply equipment for everybody except Sprint in CLT)

Deployment here seems to be pretty random. Some sites getting it need it but others are totally fine on capacity. I guess they're just deploying wherever the permits clear first.

The antennas are capable but they're the bog standard ones. Plus that's a RRUS12 with an A2 model so it's one of their standard B4/2 deployments. 

True Band 30 equipment is more like this..

nW1FaaQ.jpg

qss4qGd.jpg

• Like 4

The antennas are capable but they're the bog standard ones. Plus that's a RRUS12 with an A2 model so it's one of their standard B4/2 deployments. 

True Band 30 equipment is more like this..

Yes... that's right. 8T8R antennas. 

So the antennas I have pics of are deployed for spectrum consolidation with the possibility of adding B30 via RRU later?

So the antennas I have pics of are deployed for spectrum consolidation with the possibility of adding B30 via RRU later?

They could. Most depoyed antennas are just standard off the shelf models other than Sprints 8T8R band 41 equipment. If a manufacturer wants to simplify their product line and make an antenna compatible with most available bands then more power to them. 

• Like 1

f91542ffc7dd1e0589d0bb0429f4267e.jpg

b33f547618117667ea1faf957b331737.jpg

Spotted a crew at my local tower. The tower has Sprint tmobile and att. The guy confirmed they were putting up att antennas. He said they have been putting it up all over the place around here. The location is highway 9 in Alpharetta GA

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well shoot.  AT&T is making it really hard to spot that new equipment!  Antenna just has subtle changes and that RRU too would be hard to identify in a drive by.

Cool antenna, wide flexibility.

So no live B30 access out in the wide discovered yet?

Band 30 will be live by my house soon. Noticed the att phone had no service and I went out to check on the tower and saw ppl working on it. The att engineer said they were installing band 30 equipment everywhere which would be live soon. He couldn't give me specifics on when but be on the lookout for live band 30. Im sure it will be on "soon" in other markets as well.

• Like 1

Is Band 30 10x10 or 5x5?

It can be either.  WCS A/B blocks are each 5 MHz FDD.

AJ

It can be either. WCS A/B blocks are each 5 MHz FDD.

AJ

Realistically though, are there any areas where AT&T doesn't own both?

They've been doing 10x10 in my market for a while. I can't see them going to the trouble for anything less.

AT&T deployments gotta be wacky with their spectrum holdings. 

Looks like some nice great though! Looks to give them some great flexibility.  The antenna looks similar to some of what they are currently using, other than many the addition of WCS and maybe 4T4R?

How come Sprint doesn't use an antenna like this.  I mean, they use a dual band antenna as well, but antennas that support low band frequencies are much longer than Sprint's.  Sprints PCS/SMR antenna looks to be only inches bigger than the 2.5GHz antenna.  Wouldn't the size have a negative impact on propagation?

Looks like some nice great though! Looks to give them some great flexibility.  The antenna looks similar to some of what they are currently using, other than many the addition of WCS and maybe 4T4R?

How come Sprint doesn't use an antenna like this.  I mean, they use a dual band antenna as well, but antennas that support low band frequencies are much longer than Sprint's.  Sprints PCS/SMR antenna looks to be only inches bigger than the 2.5GHz antenna.  Wouldn't the size have a negative impact on propagation?

The 8T8R antennas are large because they have to fit 8 transmit and 8 receive elements inside. Sprint's dual band NV antennae are only 2T2R capable on each band. The overall size depends on the extra spacing required in the 2T2R antenna for low band elements.

Here's a look inside one of those dual band antennas: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3760-ever-wonder-whats-inside-one-of-those-big-cellular-panel-antennas/?p=253166

Looks like some nice great though! Looks to give them some great flexibility. The antenna looks similar to some of what they are currently using, other than many the addition of WCS and maybe 4T4R?

How come Sprint doesn't use an antenna like this. I mean, they use a dual band antenna as well, but antennas that support low band frequencies are much longer than Sprint's. Sprints PCS/SMR antenna looks to be only inches bigger than the 2.5GHz antenna. Wouldn't the size have a negative impact on propagation?

The 8T8R antennas are large because they have to fit 8 transmit and 8 receive elements inside. Sprint's dual band NV antennae are only 2T2R capable on each band. The overall size depends on the extra spacing required in the 2T2R antenna for low band elements.

Here's a look inside one of those dual band antennas: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3760-ever-wonder-whats-inside-one-of-those-big-cellular-panel-antennas/?p=253166

Uhm... The 8t8r antennas are relatively small like the 4' Clearwire antennas . They're approx 5' by 1' where traditional low midband antennas are around 6-7' and 1 to 1.5' wide.

Sprint does have triband antennas they use in certain situations. They usually run 2 8t8r radios with one in split mode where it runs two different sectors from one radio and one running in 4t4r operation or just three 8t8r radios running 4t4r mode. It's not an optimal situation which is why sprint avoids using such antennas where it can since it doesn't take advantage of the 8t8r antenna and radio pairs significant technological advancements.

• 3 weeks later...

A tower I am sure is AT&T had some work done this week.  Went from four panels per sector to five.  I figure this is B30 antenna.  I also figure they would have brought down a panel.  Five seems a bit excessive, no? All the antennas look the same but different shades of white/grey. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

To bad it doesnt say the bandwidth. Hope we can find someone with a samsung device. samsung servicemode will show it.

The high speed means it's probably a 10x10. But you're right: we can't be sure until someone with a proper engineering screen connects.