Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

Was your phone rooted? Or were you running full stock without modifications?

It's a hardware failure as it froze while browsing on chrome and the OS / Bootloader could not be found. Stock Rooted. 

It's a hardware failure as it froze while browsing on chrome and the OS / Bootloader could not be found. Stock Rooted.

Yikes. I've searched and haven't found this to be a common issue. Looks like you got that one defective unit.

While the Google replacement comes sometime next Monday or Tuesday, I saw the Amazon Prime had 1 day delivery for a Nexus 5x in my area so I got it. I figure I can use it for the weekend and give back the G4 to my father (he has no phone atm) and then refund and return it to amazon when the replacement from google arrives. 

Much less stressed about the broken phone now.. 'phew'

then refund and return it to amazon when the replacement from google arrives. 

I feel like you are going to get flamed for even admitting to doing this.  Unethical, bad faith etc etc. :D

I feel like you are going to get flamed for even admitting to doing this. Unethical, bad faith etc etc. :D

Meh. People return crap everyday. How do we know lilomitz won't decide to keep both phones at the end of the day? He may enjoy carrying two phones. You just never know.

As far as the Google Fi deal, a rep I talked to basically confirmed that Google didn't care what people did with their phone...keep it on Fi, take it to another carrier, or return it. If anyone is interested in picking up a cheap Nexus 5x, I highly recommend the Fi deal. I tried the deal and after asking for the price of an extra phone, the rep said to just create a new Google account and order the Nexus and cancel Fi right after activating. I was pretty surprised how open he was about it.

So anyone needing an unlocked phone to test drive another network, the Nexus 5x for 199 is the phone for you. Especially when you consider that Google will support this phone until at least 2018-2019 (Android O).

Now this is interesting. The 5x now has a USB C to micro USB adapter.

Yeah, my brother's came with one (ordered in April). Must be a new thing because I haven't seen anybody mention it anywhere else on the internet.

I ordered mine 3 weeks ago. I didn't get that adapter, just the Type C to Type C cable and wall charger.

But interesting to note that others around the world have claimed that they received LG branded headphones with their Nexus orders.

Yeah, my brother's came with one (ordered in April). Must be a new thing because I haven't seen anybody mention it anywhere else on the internet.

Wait, this USB C to micro USB adaptor allows the Nexus 5X to be powered by traditional micro USB chargers?  Or the vast majority of micro USB devices to be powered by the Nexus 5X USB C charger?  Or both?  This is what I have wanted from the beginning.  One charger + adaptor to rule them all.

On a somewhat related note, I accidentally let my Nexus 5X almost fully discharge one night.  So, I turned to my 2015 Moto X for the first time in a few months.  Absent no finger print sensor and a borked engineering screen, the 2015 Moto X is the superior handset.  I had forgotten how Moto's OS, launcher, and app implementation is so snappy, silky smooth.  On the other hand, the Nexus 5X can be fast -- or it can be so slow and stutter like crazy.  Maybe that forced encryption is a real bitch.

AJ

You just can't catch a break!

Sigh... When the going is going good then all is good.

When the going is going bad then all is bad... :(

At least this time I can actually use the phone (minus wifi). Amazon return intiated for defective device... 

Sigh... When the going is going good then all is good.

When the going is going bad then all is bad... :(

At least this time I can actually use the phone (minus wifi). Amazon return intiated for defective device... 

Maybe you are the cause.  You are RF kryptonite, anathema to cellphones.  You should move to the National Radio Quiet Zone (NRQZ) in West Virginia.  It is even better than than the IBEZ.

AJ

Wait, this USB C to micro USB adaptor allows the Nexus 5X to be powered by traditional micro USB chargers?  Or the vast majority of micro USB devices to be powered by the Nexus 5X USB C charger?  Or both?  This is what I have wanted from the beginning.  One charger + adaptor to rule them all.

AJ

That is correct. micro usb recepticle on one end and the USB C plug on the other. 

This phone acts extremely weird with Band 41. Sometimes, it is too quick to drop it, but other times it sticks to it like its life depended on it. Sorry for the SpeedTest, but it's just to show that the phone was still making a successful (yet terrible) connection to the cell tower.

On a positive note, SMS was fine both inbound and outbound at this RSRP level.

Fz1pgmh.png

This phone acts extremely weird with Band 41. Sometimes, it is too quick to drop it, but other times it sticks to it like its life depended on it. Sorry for the SpeedTest, but it's just to show that the phone was still making a successful (yet terrible) connection to the cell tower.

On a positive note, SMS was fine both inbound and outbound at this RSRP level.

Holy old speedtest.net app batman.

• Like 2

I know. While it is old, it is lighter and has no annoying Verizon Wireless ads (or ads at all).

Just brought back memories.  For a minute, I thought I was looking at a post from 2010.  For what it is worth, I just used my Google Opinion Rewards to pay for an ad-free version.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Picked up a used 5X last week from B&H Photo to replace my Nexus 5 which the WiFi had stopped working on. Today was my 5th day with the device as my daily driver and here are my impressions so far.

Build: Solid. I'd say it's better than the OG Nexus 5. Much more stiff and feels great in the hand. The size is a good upgrade over the N5 in my opinion. The N5 has started to feel a little small to me.

Performance: Great for everyday tasks, which is all I use it for. I don't game or anything so I don't have issues with the device overheating. It can get a little warm at times from the A57's being active but that will change with N. Battery generally lasts me all day, although this needs more testing.

Network: Much improved over the N5. The LTE scan intervals are much shorter and the device holds on to LTE better from what I've seen. The only strange issue I have seen is the poor 3G reception. Signal check generally reports that 1x and EVDO around 5dBm+ worse than the Nexus 5. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a reporting error because I am still able to make and receive calls, texts and MMS even when SC reports 1x800 at -110dBm and EVDO at -100dBm. Another reason I suspect some sort of bug is that the engineering screens report 1x receive power of -95dBm when SC reports -110dBm. 

Overall a great upgrade from my 2 year old Nexus 5. I tried out the N preview for a bit but it has some battery issues so I reverted back to MM. The N preview definitely kept the phone cooler because it turns off the A57 cores under normal use. N should bring much improvement to the phone on the performance and battery side.

• Like 2

Picked up a used 5X last week from B&H Photo to replace my Nexus 5 which the WiFi had stopped working on. Today was my 5th day with the device as my daily driver and here are my impressions so far.

Build: Solid. I'd say it's better than the OG Nexus 5. Much more stiff and feels great in the hand. The size is a good upgrade over the N5 in my opinion. The N5 has started to feel a little small to me.

Performance: Great for everyday tasks, which is all I use it for. I don't game or anything so I don't have issues with the device overheating. It can get a little warm at times from the A57's being active but that will change with N. Battery generally lasts me all day, although this needs more testing.

Network: Much improved over the N5. The LTE scan intervals are much shorter and the device holds on to LTE better from what I've seen. The only strange issue I have seen is the poor 3G reception. Signal check generally reports that 1x and EVDO around 5dBm+ worse than the Nexus 5. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a reporting error because I am still able to make and receive calls, texts and MMS even when SC reports 1x800 at -110dBm and EVDO at -100dBm. Another reason I suspect some sort of bug is that the engineering screens report 1x receive power of -95dBm when SC reports -110dBm.

Overall a great upgrade from my 2 year old Nexus 5. I tried out the N preview for a bit but it has some battery issues so I reverted back to MM. The N preview definitely kept the phone cooler because it turns off the A57 cores under normal use. N should bring much improvement to the phone on the performance and battery side.

Yes there is a reporting issue on the 5X. 1X and EV are swapped.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

...wow. Can't believe I never figured that out. That explains a lot.

I thought that too, but the discrepancy between engineering screens and signal check doesn't make any sense. The reported 1x RX power from the engineering screen doesn't match the value for 1x or EVDO as reported by signal check.