Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

Well shoot.  Got the bootloop issue on mine. <_<

If you try to get it fixed or refunded please keep us posted on what LG/Google does. I'm really worried that my replacement one is gonna bootloop.

I can't recall how long I have had mine.  I got it under projectFi and made a junk account.  If I can remember the name, I use a generic password for junk accounts.  I have been reading if you do RMA through LG, they are just refunding you the cost of the phone if you have the receipt.  They no longer make the piece of hardware that breaks. 

However, at the same time, I am unsure if I want to send my phone in if I am able too.  Doing a full refund is an easy way to get being to send phones with lots of data on them.  Sure it is by default encrypted, but still don't fully trust it.

I had a very favorable experience with LG repair fixing my 5X bootloop. It took around 2 weeks in total. I chronicled my experience on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5l66de/_/dbx1oim

It seems to me that the issues and delays people experienced were due to lack of parts at LG in combination with the holiday season. Now it seems that LG has the parts on hand and is able to repair the phones in a timely manner.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I had a very favorable experience with LG repair fixing my 5X bootloop. It took around 2 weeks in total. I chronicled my experience on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5l66de/_/dbx1oim

It seems to me that the issues and delays people experienced were due to lack of parts at LG in combination with the holiday season. Now it seems that LG has the parts on hand and is able to repair the phones in a timely manner.

So they are getting parts back in?

The December articles are saying LG started to do full refunds due to lack of hardware. 

I don't mind either way, whether I get a refund, a new refurb phone (even of different model, read someone got a G4) or my exact phone back. 

I however filled out the RMA on LGs site this morning and got the phone sent off at lunch.  If I get the phone back, will most likely just end up being a solid backup device.  I have a Nexus 5 backup but isn't ideal.  I shattered the screen a while back and the screen replacement I ordered turned out to be rubbish.  And boy does the N5 camera suck.

I looked back through this thread and couldn't find any updates - is the engineering screen still not showing when CA is active? I did a couple speed tests while I was out last night, and got 95 and 115 Mbps down, but never saw the second download channel filled in.

I looked back through this thread and couldn't find any updates - is the engineering screen still not showing when CA is active? I did a couple speed tests while I was out last night, and got 95 and 115 Mbps down, but never saw the second download channel filled in.

The engineering screen never showed 2xCA. Been broken since the start.

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm it was still broken, and that I wasn't doing something wrong. :)

If you root, you can get all that info from Network Signal Guru and even turn off Band 25 and Band 26 so your phone can ride B41 indoors (albeit weak, but still faster than the sub 1 Mbps B25/26 offer). Unfortunately the app is a battery hog and heats up the phone quick, even when it sits in the background.

I like to turn off bands and exit the app to enjoy slightly faster speeds. B41 at -120 RSRP is still faster than the -95 RSRP B25 gives me. I also turn off CDMA PCS and SMR so that when I'm on fringe areas, my phone can roam perfectly instead of holding on to a weak Sprint 1x.

If you root, you can get all that info from Network Signal Guru and even turn off Band 25 and Band 26 so your phone can ride B41 indoors (albeit weak, but still faster than the sub 1 Mbps B25/26 offer). Unfortunately the app is a battery hog and heats up the phone quick, even when it sits in the background.

I like to turn off bands and exit the app to enjoy slightly faster speeds. B41 at -120 RSRP is still faster than the -95 RSRP B25 gives me. I also turn off CDMA PCS and SMR so that when I'm on fringe areas, my phone can roam perfectly instead of holding on to a weak Sprint 1x.

The new update wants $50 a month to use advanced features.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Edited by Staff

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever experienced problems using Clearwire towers with the 5X? There's a particular tower near my son's workplace that my 5X doesn't like. Voice and text work fine, but data is pretty much unusable, even with a good signal (I don't have signal check numbers handy). My kids' iphones seem to work fine there, and I recently got a Nexus 5, and it works just fine there too, with speed test results of 20-25Mbps. Speedtest won't even load there on the 5X. I'm wondering if a forced network settings update would help.

I swapped back to the 5X this evening, and as expected, data would not work at all on the Clearwire tower again. Before I left, my phone decided to switch to 1900 LTE from another nearby tower, and performance was typical for 1900, between 4.5 and 6 Mbps. When I switched back, it automatically updated the network settings, so that didn't help.

• 5 weeks later...

Contact Google, then LG to see if they offer you anything.

If all fails, join the class action lawsuit and get whatever few bucks that come out of the settlement.

Here's my dilemma: I bought Google protect, so if I contact them they might tell me to open a claim. Maybe they won't, but I have a feeling they will. I can't create a claim via Assurant without providing credit card info, and I don't think I should have to pay for a replacement for such a widespread defect that is pretty clearly a trend with LG devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If I roll back to the older radio (pre 7.1.2), will LTE roaming still work on the N5X? The new update has made both Band 41 for Sprint and Band 17 for At&t a lot weaker.

What is your phone set to, to roam on AT&T? "Global" or "LTE"?  Better yet, what does is it set to if you go into the radio diagnostic menu?  if you use signal check and then click system shortcuts and then radio info.

I don't roam on At&t. I just have both services and switch out sim cards when I'm driving out to the farm. No native Sprint service on the highway and data roaming on Verizon doesn't work, which is why I switch SIM cards as needed.

But it is my understanding that Nexus/Pixel phones on Sprint can now roam on LTE.

If I roll back to the older radio (pre 7.1.2), will LTE roaming still work on the N5X? The new update has made both Band 41 for Sprint and Band 17 for At&t a lot weaker.

Are you having issues just on Clearwire band 41 or all band 41? My 5X, going back to at least Dec 2016, had a really hard time with Clearwire band 41 towers. There are two towers near me that when I was connected to them, I would have a good signal according to SCP, but data was usually unusable. Occasionally I would be able to actually connect to sites, but the vast majority of times, it was dead. If I fell back to band 26 or 25 it would work. But other devices, my family's iPhones, and my Nexus 5, have no trouble in those locations. Sprint band 41 towers never gave me an issue. I have searched, and asked Sprint Care, and have never found anything indicating it was a common issue, but for me it was very frustrating. Now the phone is dead, and I'm likely​ going to buy something different.

• Like 1

Are you having issues just on Clearwire band 41 or all band 41? My 5X, going back to at least Dec 2016, had a really hard time with Clearwire band 41 towers. There are two towers near me that when I was connected to them, I would have a good signal according to SCP, but data was usually unusable. Occasionally I would be able to actually connect to sites, but the vast majority of times, it was dead. If I fell back to band 26 or 25 it would work. But other devices, my family's iPhones, and my Nexus 5, have no trouble in those locations. Sprint band 41 towers never gave me an issue. I have searched, and asked Sprint Care, and have never found anything indicating it was a common issue, but for me it was very frustrating. Now the phone is dead, and I'm likely​ going to buy something different.

All Band 41 from Sprint/Clearwire and a slightly weaker B17 when I slip on my At&t SIM.

I've notice recently that my Ride-Fi hotspot does not like that Clearwire tower either, so it's definitely not isolated to my old 5X. But I know it's not just the tower, because the family's iPhones and my N5 don't have any problems with them. Shame SMS stops working several times a day on the N5, or I'd just keep using that.