Google Nexus 5X by LG User Thread (LG H790)

WiWavelength

Got in touch with google and the tech support guy said he himself has already 20 cases of the bootlooping issue. It's a well known issue internally and he's trying to get higher ups to just outright replace them somehow even though warranty (as in my case) may be over. 

=\ Currently going to get a standby phone while I sit through this... sigh.

Got in touch with google and the tech support guy said he himself has already 20 cases of the bootlooping issue. It's a well known issue internally and he's trying to get higher ups to just outright replace them somehow even though warranty (as in my case) may be over. 

=\ Currently going to get a standby phone while I sit through this... sigh.

I got lucky. I contacted LG on what I'm pretty sure was either the last day of my warranty or the day before. I hope you have a better experience with Google's CS than I did with LG's.

I got lucky. I contacted LG on what I'm pretty sure was either the last day of my warranty or the day before. I hope you have a better experience with Google's CS than I did with LG's.

Nope. Told to contact LG. My google warranty expired Nov 10... 

Good thing I pay my bills with a Wells Fargo card... time to contact them and use their telephone protection plan. 

• Like 1

Need the booklet for my extended warranty via credit card. Also got a claim and am sending it to LG in Ft. Worth, TX. 

Guess i'm getting a new phone now. 

• Like 1

Need the booklet for my extended warranty via credit card. Also got a claim and am sending it to LG in Ft. Worth, TX. 

Guess i'm getting a new phone now. 

http://imgur.com/a/cFHK2

Hope this is enough.

I assumed you went through Google because you got a statement from a human being. Up until I emailed LG the entire process was automated for me. Did you do live chat?

Well that sucks. I've been happier with this phone than any previous device, and none of Sprint's current offerings meet my minimum criteria. I must've gotten one of the last boards.

Unless they sent me a G4 or something. That'll be a weird surprise tomorrow if so.

I really don't know what I'll do if that's the case, or the replacement doesn't work. I guess I'd have to find a used M9 or something. The ~$400 I'd get from a refund wouldn't get me anything decent currently sold by Sprint.

• Like 1

http://imgur.com/a/cFHK2

Hope this is enough.

I assumed you went through Google because you got a statement from a human being. Up until I emailed LG the entire process was automated for me. Did you do live chat?

Well that sucks. I've been happier with this phone than any previous device, and none of Sprint's current offerings meet my minimum criteria. I must've gotten one of the last boards.

Unless they sent me a G4 or something. That'll be a weird surprise tomorrow if so.

I really don't know what I'll do if that's the case, or the replacement doesn't work. I guess I'd have to find a used M9 or something. The ~$400 I'd get from a refund wouldn't get me anything decent currently sold by Sprint.

Thanks!

Google referred me to LG since i'm 13 days passed warranty...

Apparently LG has like 15 months warranty .. "shrug"...

I'll be sending it in to the repair center tomorrow. Get the refund hopefully ( $461) and help put that towards funding the Pixel I just purchased.  

• Like 2

Thanks!

Google referred me to LG since i'm 13 days passed warranty...

Apparently LG has like 15 months warranty .. "shrug"...

I'll be sending it in to the repair center tomorrow. Get the refund hopefully ( $461) and help put that towards funding the Pixel I just purchased.  

No prob. I always keep those kind of things. Everyone calls me crazy but they usually end up coming in handy.

The more I read over at the 5x subreddit the more worried I get. It's starting to look like the problem was present through the entire year or so of manufacturing and no boards are safe.

No prob. I always keep those kind of things. Everyone calls me crazy but they usually end up coming in handy.

The more I read over at the 5x subreddit the more worried I get. It's starting to look like the problem was present through the entire year or so of manufacturing and no boards are safe.

At this point it's time to jump ship imo while you can. 

At this point it's time to jump ship imo while you can. 

I will if I can, but I don't have enough $$$ lying around to pick up another phone and I don't think they'll let me get the refund unless the problem is happening when I initiate the request. And I'm really getting sick of this Viper.

It all depends on what's in the box tomorrow.

I will if I can, but I don't have enough $$$ lying around to pick up another phone and I don't think they'll let me get the refund unless the problem is happening when I initiate the request. And I'm really getting sick of this Viper.

It all depends on what's in the box tomorrow.

"looks at Moto G Play"..   I feel ya. 

• Like 1

"looks at Moto G Play"..   I feel ya. 

/wince

Snapdragon 410? Well, I guess it'd be a step up from the unnamed 1.2Ghz dual core in the Viper. I actually forgot about the cheaper motos. Thanks for the heads-up. Really hoping I won't need to get one though.

The G4 has a better display + a 617 compared to the 410 in the G4 play :(.... also this thing has no 5 Ghz wifi!

The only feature my wife misses on the G4, coming from her Moto X 2014 is waving her hand over the display to show the time. Otherwise, she's gaga for it. To her, it feels like a 5.5" flagship phone. And to have only paid $200 for it feels like a crime. It doesn't do CA, but she'll never notice.

Robert

Welp it's here. They just swapped the board. Housing is the same as what I sent them. (There are some new nicks around the camera bump.  <_< I was very careful to avoid such scratches during my year of owning the phone. :td: )

They really must be out of parts for this thing because they used an OG Nexus 5 screen protector which only covers about seven eights of the glass instead of a factory 5X one.

It hasn't started bootlooping on me, so I guess I just have to use it and try not to worry about it dying on me again. The reddit thread I made asking about the cause indicated it was LG's infamous bad solder, but I still worry that all units were affected. They didn't resolder my board like they have for some people; they just popped in a new one.

Edit: there's actually a new 1 inch vertical scratch halfway between the logo and the right side of the phone. Booooooooooo.

And Sprint's activation system is broken again. Woohoo live chats.

• Like 1

Wooooooow. They managed to scratch my screen too. Stay classy, LG.

There's a little s-shaped scrape about an inch down from the top speaker grille.

That seriously grinds my gears. But at this point there's essentially nothing I can do about it. I didn't take pictures of it before I sent it in.

Don't think I'll ever buy anything LG again.

There's a little s-shaped scrape about an inch down from the top speaker grille.

That seriously grinds my gears. But at this point there's essentially nothing I can do about it. I didn't take pictures of it before I sent it in.

I'm wondering if you received your original phone back? Is it possible they were able to move over like an 'image' of your old device apps and software and put it on a new device? I have no idea how that could be possible, but it almost sounds like your describing someone else's phone physically. Bizarre.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I'm wondering if you received your original phone back? Is it possible they were able to move over like an 'image' of your old device apps and software and put it on a new device? I have no idea how that could be possible, but it almost sounds like your describing someone else's phone physically. Bizarre.

Nope. It's a new board in my old housing. Same back plate and midframe. I can tell based on some scratches around the sim slot and camera I made. And the repair form says they just dropped in a new board.

And they didn't move an image over. I had to do new device setup. Not that it would've mattered; I OEM locked it/erased it before I sent it.

• Like 1

Nope. It's a new board in my old housing. Same back plate and midframe. I can tell based on some scratches around the sim slot and camera I made. And the repair form says they just dropped in a new board.

And they didn't move an image over. I had to do new device setup. Not that it would've mattered; I OEM locked it/erased it before I sent it.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm waiting on my 6P coming back from Huawei and kind of concerned over what I end up getting back. Guess I will know Monday. Hopefully Huawei is better than LG in this regard.

• Like 1

I do not repair my handsets nor sell them.  I just keep them in near mint condition through careful, moderate use.  So, this does not affect me.  But most modern handsets are constructed in a way such that almost any repair is destructive.  See iFixit teardowns. That is why competent refurbishment or repair should entail screen and external body replacement in most instances.

AJ

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Perhaps this is a FAQ and I'm just not finding the answer.

I purchased a used Nexus 5X for my son to use on Sprint.  What app should he use for voice mail?  I don't think he can find the same app my HTC One M8 had pre-installed. 

He can call into voice mail, but there isn't an app that appears to be pre-loaded (or available from Sprint on the Play store) so I'm wondering what others use, if any.

Thank you!!!

Hi,

Perhaps this is a FAQ and I'm just not finding the answer.

I purchased a used Nexus 5X for my son to use on Sprint. What app should he use for voice mail? I don't think he can find the same app my HTC One M8 had pre-installed.

He can call into voice mail, but there isn't an app that appears to be pre-loaded (or available from Sprint on the Play store) so I'm wondering what others use, if any.

Thank you!!!

Use Google Voice Lite

• Like 1