Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

Guys, need your opinion on a way around the lease with the Note 5 in about 12 months.

I am thinking of switching over to Sprint and the only phone that appeals to me is the Note 5 since Sprint doesn't carry the LG V10 (current phone with T-Mobile). Anyhow I'm use to the jump on demand at T-Mobile where you can upgrade 3 times a year by just returning my phone and they wipe the balance clean and I start with another phone I want payment wise.

Now my options are with the current $200 buy back (bring in any working smart phone and they give you a $200 credit towards any Samsung phone) it makes the lease $400 over 2 years. Instead of $25 mo x 24= $600 you minus the $200 credit and it's $400 divided by 24 mo = $16.66 mo

Now you take that $16.66 mo x 12 mo = $ 200 rounded off (.08 cents). So the balance would be approx. $200 left in one year if I wanted to upgrade next year to the Note 6 I would have to payoff $200 just to upgrade?? Is there any way around this to upgrade every year without paying $10 mo for the privilege of upgrading annually?

I can't remember the last time I had a phone for 2 years! I usually upgrade every 6 months to 12 months, and with the jump on demand with T-Mobile it hasn't even been something I have thought about because of your ability to upgrade whenever you want without paying off the bal and just turning the phone into them.

Any way around this guys??

Thx

Qbking77's review!

Super stoked for one ridiculous thing, being able to silence the charging noise finally! It looks like Sammy made a few nice tweaks and conformed some to what stock Android currently is (double swipe down for quick toggles, etc).

Very excited for this.

Sent from my Sprint Note5 for your reading pleasure

• Like 2

Guys, need your opinion on a way around the lease with the Note 5 in about 12 months.

I am thinking of switching over to Sprint and the only phone that appeals to me is the Note 5 since Sprint doesn't carry the LG V10 (current phone with T-Mobile). Anyhow I'm use to the jump on demand at T-Mobile where you can upgrade 3 times a year by just returning my phone and they wipe the balance clean and I start with another phone I want payment wise.

Now my options are with the current $200 buy back (bring in any working smart phone and they give you a $200 credit towards any Samsung phone) it makes the lease $400 over 2 years. Instead of $25 mo x 24= $600 you minus the $200 credit and it's $400 divided by 24 mo = $16.66 mo

Now you take that $16.66 mo x 12 mo = $ 200 rounded off (.08 cents). So the balance would be approx. $200 left in one year if I wanted to upgrade next year to the Note 6 I would have to payoff $200 just to upgrade?? Is there any way around this to upgrade every year without paying $10 mo for the privilege of upgrading annually?

I can't remember the last time I had a phone for 2 years! I usually upgrade every 6 months to 12 months, and with the jump on demand with T-Mobile it hasn't even been something I have thought about because of your ability to upgrade whenever you want without paying off the bal and just turning the phone into them.

Any way around this guys??

Thx

Tmobile has the best upgrade options. Sprint is currently pushing really hard to get people to lease but most phones can't get yearly upgrades with this option. I think if you get easy pay you can. Also I agree Sprint dropped the ball being the only carrier not to carry the gear S2 and LG V10.

I agree with you that T-Mobile has the best upgrade program (Jump on Demand) /options. What is the easy pay option? I haven't heard of this in the stores when I've been inquiring lately on maybe making the jump over to Sprint?

Agreed on the V10 I love this phone! I guess I can't understand why Sprint is shooting themselves in the foot with decisions that would clearly bring people over to them.

Example:

- Copy T-Mobile on the Jump on Demand program who cares if it's blatant, they did with the recent unlimited data match option @ $150 it would one less reason to stick with T-Mobile if that's a concern/holding somebody back.

- Get a variety of phones on Sprint for crying out loud their phone selection is awful!! Not carrying the LG V10 when the other three did, maybe carry the new Windows phones (950, 950XL) for a variety and to set Sprint apart??

I just don't get some of their marketing decisions, meanwhile T-Mobile kills it in the marketing game no doubt!!

• Like 1

You are correct in your thinking of what you would have to pay in order to upgrade. Turn the device back in, in good shape, pay the remaining lease payments plus the tax and then upgrade.

We do it all the time at the store I work at. Mainly with people with iPhones on leases but not on iPhone forever.

Example:

- Get a variety of phones on Sprint for crying out loud their phone selection is awful!! Not carrying the LG V10 when the other three did, maybe carry the new Windows phones (950, 950XL) for a variety and to set Sprint apart??

I think there is more to it than just sprint getting the phone. There is probably a lot of money invested into each phone to guarantee compatibility and function. T mobile has the benefit of using the same tech as AT&T and can ride on their work with minimal investment of their own.

Vz and sprint have a similar relationship. The v10 is a special case that probably had political reasons behind its absence on sprint.

You guys are talking about claiming an offer for some headphones. I just added a card to my samsung pay on my Note 5. Where do I go to redeem this? Been looking for a new set of headphones and you can't beat free.

The offer should be sitting in the Events section of the settings.  However, it's closed on my device as of today

Yea that makes sense, I realize there must some political/corporate reasoning behind them not carrying the flagship of LG (considering Sprints relationship with LG being good over the years).

Also how come when I hit the Quote button to quote somebody and respond to them directly it never shows the quotes and only shows what I typed in response?? I was trying to respond to member Jones above and it never quoted his response to me?

Edited by MileHI38
  • Like 1

The offer should be sitting in the Events section of the settings. However, it's closed on my device as of today

Dammit. Shows closed for me too. I registered before it closed though. Might shoot an email to Samsung and see what they can do for me.

Edit.

Chatted Samsung real quick and they said you can still claim them through today. I'm at work so I can't call them right away but for anyone else who wants to call in and try and claim them the number is 855-726-8721.

• Like 1

Yea that makes sense, I realize there must some political/corporate reasoning behind them not carrying the flagship of LG (considering Sprints relationship with LG being good over the years).

Also how come when I hit the Quote button to quote somebody and respond to them directly it never shows the quotes and only shows what I typed in response?? I was trying to respond to member Jones above and it never quoted his response to me?

The quote issue has happened to me too when using Internet Explorer on Windows 10, yet it works fine using Microsoft Edge. There seem to be issues with Windows 10 that were not present on Windows 7, at least based from my experiences.

• Like 1

38c7020f0a954b9809fb0d6bf8f1f73a.jpg

Anyone know what this could be.. Just got notification of it. I haven't done it yet.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hmmm...

I haven't received that.

did this update include anything else? Such as the S5 video to image snapshot frame by frame? I have a root will this mess anything up?

I have no idea. It's just an app update, albeit a system app, so I think it should be fine.  There were no other effects as far as I can tell. 

• Like 1

So had to unexpectedly change my G3 to the Note 5 on Monday. My G3 decided to give me the lovely "blue screen of death"...

Now I'm trying to learn Samsung's interface again since it's entirely different even from my Tab 3. While I already miss my G3, I am getting better battery life and the stylus is kinda cool. But IDK yet, any hidden features I need to know about?

I'll read through this thread this weekend when I have more time. 

• Like 1

So had to unexpectedly change my G3 to the Note 5 on Monday. My G3 decided to give me the lovely "blue screen of death"...

Now I'm trying to learn Samsung's interface again since it's entirely different even from my Tab 3. While I already miss my G3, I am getting better battery life and the stylus is kinda cool. But IDK yet, any hidden features I need to know about?

I'll read through this thread this weekend when I have more time. 

Hidden features?  I don't know about that exactly, most of the things are just Android things in general, which you likely already know about. 

• Definitely enable developer mode and speed up animations, IMO, it makes a difference: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/speed-up-your-android-by-adjusting-animation-settings/
  • I used the S-pen for the first 2-3 weeks, now the only reason I touch it is because it came unclicked on the base accidentally and I have to click it back down.  Thought I would use this more, but I don't, turns out. 
  • Disable all of Samsung BS, like S-Voice and any other S-application that you can if you won't use it. 
  • Beware the roaming settings reset to stock (which is no data roaming, plus a nice warning) when you do a profile update. 
  • Double click to launch camera is super great and faster than any camera I've seen yet.  Should be about 100 times faster than your G3! 
  • Use something like Nova Launcher instead of the Samsung stock launcher and if you use a Material Theme (dark or light, etc.) from the Theme Store, you won't really know you're using TouchWiz at all. 
  • Lots of options in accessibility like Smart Stay and alternatives to answer your phone/interact with it.  They kind of buried it all in this OS version on the Note5. 
  • Set up your fingerprint, it's the fastest way to unlock the phone.  I've stopped using the Smart lock features (generic android). 
  • Keep an eye on Samsung Pay for promotions, even if you don't want to use it, they run promos all the time for activating a card on it.  I think likely because they use that as leverage against banks when they say, "hey look how many people use our system!".  But you should want to use it.  When I had a card that worked with it, it's amazing how well it works. I know others here will agree with me. 
  • Not sure how bad it was on the G3, but it's wise to clear out the cache partition occasionally on the Note5. Details and instructions can be found here: http://goo.gl/7G1Cct I tend to do this action once a week or if something odd starts happening like rapid battery drain. Also, go into your phone settings -> Storage -> Cached Data and wipe that out as well.  Apps can cache a bunch of data that you don't need anymore.
  • Oh get some wireless chargers and QC2.0.  There's a bunch on sale on Amazon today, actually from Aukey.  Reliable chargers, I've used them for a couple years. 

Other than that, it's just a super solid phone. Welcome and enjoy! 

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with my phone? From all the reviews I've read, they say the note 5 should easily last you all day even with heavy use. I can barely get 10 hours out of it. I don't consider 2 hours of screen time to be heavy use either. I know all the tricks, Bluetooth off when unnecessary, GPS, etc, etc. What are you guys getting in terms of battery life? I think the best I ever got was about 15 hours and it was because I barely used my phone that day.