T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

The T-Mobile executive team is full of asshats. That is why it is perfectly reasonable to "hate on T-Mobile" anywhere. In fact, it is the primary reason. If Magenta CEO and his gang would cut down on the douchebaggery and act more professionally, then there would be little reason to "hate on T-Mobile."

AJ

Nothing sticks to these people, that's what I can't get. Legere can make misogynistic remarks at a keynote and nothing happens. I don't get it, it seems like most of the tech media gives them a free pass except for Android Central recently and The Verge.

• Like 6

Nothing sticks to these people, that's what I can't get. Legere can make misogynistic remarks at a keynote and nothing happens. I don't get it, it seems like most of the tech media gives them a free pass except for Android Central recently and The Verge.

Well if thy don't go big at this auction then you'll see articles about the future of T-Mobile but in a not so positive light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you imagine if Softbank bought all 30mhz of the reserve? It'd be hilarious to see John's reaction.

If Softbank goes through with massive funding on this, I can see them getting all of the reserved 30 mhz of reserved spectrum, at least.

That assumes there will be a 30 MHz reserve -- or any reserved spectrum.  It is not as if up to the first 30 MHz is always reserved for Sprint and T-Mobile on which to bid.  No, enough spectrum must be cleared in order to trigger reserved spectrum in the first place.  And if enough broadcasters opt out, then there may be little, if any reserved spectrum.

AJ

• Like 1

The T-Mobile executive team is full of asshats. That is why it is perfectly reasonable to "hate on T-Mobile" anywhere. In fact, it is the primary reason. If Magenta CEO and his gang would cut down on the douchebaggery and act more professionally, then there would be little reason to "hate on T-Mobile."

AJ

I completely agree.

I really can't fault Marcelo Claure for what he said to John Legere the other day, which clearly showed the many months of professionalism he tried having with John Legere and the patience through all of the taunting, finally just got to him.

The really sad, shameful part to it, was John Legere's continuance in his taunts, when he should have been able to see this was really bugging Marcelo and not just some sort of "having fun", which John Legere used as an excuse for his own behavior a few years ago. Very pathetic.

• Like 1

Well if thy don't go big at this auction then you'll see articles about the future of T-Mobile but in a not so positive light.

Serious question: what allowed Dish to go gangbusters in the AWS auction and not T-Mobile? T-Mobile could have also acquired more debt to finance a better spectrum position. They certainly didn't have to take such a conservative tact. If their thought is "count on Dish acquisition", I wouldn't since Verizon could still act on buying Dish. If Verizon buys Dish that would certainly put T-Mobile in a rough spot. No band 23 20x20, no AWS-3 either. Everyone also assumes Dish won't be around for the 600 MHz auction, but what if they are? That certainly throws a monkey wrench in the proceedings if they go all out.

• Like 2

Serious question: what allowed Dish to go gangbusters in the AWS auction and not T-Mobile? T-Mobile could have also acquired more debt to finance a better spectrum position. They certainly didn't have to take such a conservative tact. If their thought is "count on Dish acquisition", I wouldn't since Verizon could still act on buying Dish. If Verizon buys Dish that would certainly put T-Mobile in a rough spot. No band 23 20x20, no AWS-3 either. Everyone also assumes Dish won't be around for the 600 MHz auction, but what if they are? That certainly throws a monkey wrench in the proceedings if they go all out.

I've written plenty about how odd T-Mobile's partipation in the AWS-3 spectrum auction was, which now could very well end up hurting them in the long run.

If Sprint participates in the 600mhz auction as I expect them to do, and if Sprint is able to get the spectrum T-Mobile wants, then that'll be a major turning point towards the worse for T-Mobile. They will have to merge with Dish then, in order to remain relevant.

If Verizon were to change its mind about purchasing Dish, or if Verizon is just saying its not interested in purchasing Dish as a means of concealing its true intentions, as some here have suggested for me to consider, then I can imagine one of two remaining scenarios for T-Mobile.

Either Softbank works with T-Mobile on coming up with some sort of arrangement that would suit the FCC, even if not a merger. Wouldn't it be possible, say for Softbank to purchase the shares of T-Mobile from DT, but keep it as a separate company from Sprint. The two companies could share spectrum, but have separate operations, plans, etc.

The other solution for T-Mobile may be to wait out for an administration change for another merger attempt with AT&T, which may not be as difficult to pass through in the current circumstances where AT&T is not in as good of shape as it was during the first merger, which if T-Mobile suffers from further loss at spectrum auctions, then perhaps another merger attempt with AT&T might be possible.

To note, I'm not advocating for these ideas, just looking at what is possible for T-Mobile if things don't start improving for them.

• Like 1

If Verizon were to change its mind about purchasing Dish, or if Verizon is just saying its not interested in purchasing Dish as a means of concealing its true intentions, as some here have suggested for me to consider, then I can imagine one of two remaining scenarios for T-Mobile.

http://www.businessinsider.com/verizon-were-not-buying-aol-2015-1

http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/12/investing/verizon-buys-aol/

Honestly, this one is too easy. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have a song dedication, for my good friends at Basking Ridge and 140 West Street.

[emoji3]

• Like 1

T-Mobile could have took on more debt but they are playing for today and not the long haul. If they were they would have spent. Even though there is a very little money they are assuming they will be bought out soon. So they are just buying spectrum to keep them afloat. That is a dangerous game to play because they may not be bought out until 5 years from now and if they keep adding subs like they are, in no time they will be the new sprint with slow speeds.

• Like 1

Nope, they're collectively like the Teflon Man. While still deriding Sprint's 600 kbps gaffe and almost immediate retraction, the Magentans conveniently forget this little fiasco:

http://consumerist.com/2014/04/04/t-mobile-takes-employee-discounts-away-gives-them-back-after-outcry/

It was quite amusing seeing Legere tap dancing on Twitter trying to convince people that an increase in their monthly bill was somehow in their best interest. Of course, after only a few days the Cult of Legere was back in full worship mode.

Awful-Coworker_10.jpg

• Like 4

This is what I don't get either; by going to the FCC pleading for a price cut, Legere is basically admitting he's mismanaged funds. "How can I pay for full-priced spectrum? Ive already spent my money on dozens of promotions, and AWS spectrum a year ago". Claure sold bonds to finance projects Ocean and Cedar. He slashed operating costs to the bone, and flew to Japan to seek funding. Sprint has offered discounted service, but they're not giving anything away. Legere pretty much quit trying to secure funding after DTK told him no. As CEO, it's part of his job to find funding for these purchases, whether its issuing new shares (their shares are overvalue as it is), selling debt, cutting costs, etc. He's been so wrapped up in giving their network away for free and being 'the rockstar', now that he needs money, he doesn't have it. The guy is a terrible CEO, but at least a bunch of 20-somethings think he's cool!

• Like 4

This is what I don't get either; by going to the FCC pleading for a price cut, Legere is basically admitting he's mismanaged funds. "How can I pay for full-priced spectrum? Ive already spent my money on dozens of promotions, and AWS spectrum a year ago". Claure sold bonds to finance projects Ocean and Cedar. He slashed operating costs to the bone, and flew to Japan to seek funding. Sprint has offered discounted service, but they're not giving anything away. Legere pretty much quit trying to secure funding after DTK told him no. As CEO, it's part of his job to find funding for these purchases, whether its issuing new shares (their shares are overvalue as it is), selling debt, cutting costs, etc. He's been so wrapped up in giving their network away for free and being 'the rockstar', now that he needs money, he doesn't have it. The guy is a terrible CEO, but at least a bunch of 20-somethings think he's cool!

He is not the best CEO but something good did come from him. Leases on Sprint, better global rates, free text global, better data bucket plans, ect I doubt the big 2 and Sprint would have done much if Tmobile stayed quiet so while he is a douche and there is no doubt about that he did bring some much need change to the wireless industry and for that I'm grateful.
  • Like 2

So I'm sitting here near Munster Centennial Park waiting for fireworks, where thousands of people are already at the park and more piling in for the show at 9 and so far T-Mo LTE is holding its own at .8-1.8 Mbps down and .2 Mbps up. Meanwhile DC-HSPA has already crashed. Last year by comparison H+ continued to work while LTE crashed. Nothing surprising considering the shift of spectrum from WCDMA over to LTE in the Chicago area.

Meanwhile on AT&T I had .2 Mbps down on LTE and 2.6 Mbps on HSPA+.

So I'm sitting here near Munster Centennial Park waiting for fireworks, where thousands of people are already at the park and more piling in for the show at 9 and so far T-Mo LTE is holding its own at .8-1.8 Mbps down and .2 Mbps up. Meanwhile DC-HSPA has already crashed. Last year by comparison H+ continued to work while LTE crashed. Nothing surprising considering the shift of spectrum from WCDMA over to LTE in the Chicago area.

Meanwhile on AT&T I had .2 Mbps down on LTE and 2.6 Mbps on HSPA+.

And Sprint?

And Sprint?

IDK, I didn't have a Sprint device with me. Last year B25 crashed, B26 was semi usable, and EVDO crashed and B41 was out of range. It shouldn't have been any different this year as that area already had both B25 carriers, B26, and B41 live last year.

IDK, I didn't have a Sprint device with me. Last year B25 crashed, B26 was semi usable, and EVDO crashed and B41 was out of range. It shouldn't have been any different this year as that area already had both B25 carriers, B26, and B41 live last year.

They could have brought in a COW this year to cope with the demand.

They could have brought in a COW this year to cope with the demand.

I doubt that, it's only an afternoon-evening event and the network crushing crowd only lasts an hour.

• Like 1

I doubt that, it's only an afternoon-evening event and the network crushing crowd only lasts an hour.

You never know. Sprint actually set up a COW in Brooklyn for the fireworks by the Brooklyn Bridge and they hadn't done so last year. I'm uncertain how long the event is but perhaps Sprint is being more aggressive on COWs this year.

• Like 1

Sprint had a COW for the fireworks here on Columbus, OH.

• Like 1

Sprint and T-Mobile were both around 1mbps at a suburban (Bridgeview, IL) fireworks show last night. Tonight, I'm going to Navy Pier where 100k people are expected tonight for the fireworks. We shall see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Here's an FCC filing from Public Knowledge, LTE-U and LTE-LAA gut WiFi and make it unusable in a lot of test cases.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=60001105564

Everyone should read this filing by Public Knowledge. Lots of innovation comes from the unlicensed bands and WiFi, like the Republic Wireless and Cablevision mobile plans that extensively use WiFi. The only way LTE-LAA should be kosher is to see the 3GPP and IEEE sit down and come up with a neutral approach that doesn't gut free and open WiFi.

This is all part of T-Mobile's plan to Recarrier, I'm afraid. And if Sprint continues to shoot itself in the foot, T-Mobile will fall more in line with the Duopoly. Remember what John Legere really wants is the Triopoly. He was going to be the CEO of T-Mobile after they ate Sprint, but Chairman Wheeler fortunately thought better of it.

Ha. All I can say is "I knew it." I stand by my position that LTE-LAA/LTE-U is a really bad idea for everyone but the carriers.

• Like 2

Sprint had a COW for the fireworks here on Columbus, OH.

sEuMisD.gif

AJ

• Like 3

Sprint and T-Mobile were both around 1mbps at a suburban (Bridgeview, IL) fireworks show last night.

Toyota Park?

AJ

You never know. Sprint actually set up a COW in Brooklyn for the fireworks by the Brooklyn Bridge and they hadn't done so last year. I'm uncertain how long the event is but perhaps Sprint is being more aggressive on COWs this year.

I think they are. They brought a COW to Fair St. Louis this year too, and it was even a high capacity setup (no band 41).  Last year only Verizon and AT&T had one.