T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1605217-T-Mobile-why-do-you-hate-Nebraska?p=16660284#post16660284

Finally T-Mobile is getting local number prefixes in Omaha.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well, it is about time.  But as Omaha long has been a major Cox market, maybe T-Mobile was "Cox blocked."

:P

AJ

• Like 6

El paso has band 4 + band 12 CA. It did reduce congestion by a lot. How long will this hold up until they have to refarm the pcs band 2

Given their strong spectrum position, it would not be out of the question to see some aggressive L1900 overlay in El Paso.

It would be pretty trivial to achieve 2x U1900 carriers, 10x10 L1900, and keep GSM afloat. Only drawback is having to dismember DC-HSPA in U1900. But I wouldn't be very surprised if El Paso gets some L1900 love due to their ample spectrum, and their known congestion issues in that market.

• Like 1

Given their strong spectrum position, it would not be out of the question to see some aggressive L1900 overlay in El Paso.

It would be pretty trivial to achieve 2x U1900 carriers, 10x10 L1900, and keep GSM afloat. Only drawback is having to dismember DC-HSPA in U1900. But I wouldn't be very surprised if El Paso gets some L1900 love due to their ample spectrum, and their known congestion issues in that market.

da2bd257db1bd49da95c30f26608aa40.jpg yes,tmobile took a hit on congestion here. Now with band 12 being Carrier aggregated with band 4 (im sure thats a short term solution).. how long does it take to refarm to get band 2 into action.. im sure small cells are in the works. Dont know if they really need more macro sites here. Somone on reddit told me that t mobile is the number 1 carrier in this market by a long shot

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

T-Mobile: We'll start to use incentive auction spectrum 'at the end of 2017'

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-well-start-use-incentive-auction-spectrum-end-2017/2016-05-20

lol

Edit: also they took shots at Sprint for lowering capex

They'll probably be able to in areas where there are no TV stations to move. That's a very limited rural area, but as long as the equipment is available it shouldn't be an issue.

They'll probably be able to in areas where there are no TV stations to move. That's a very limited rural area, but as long as the equipment is available it shouldn't be an issue.

There's no way they can get new equipment by the end of 2017, with all the designing testing and production work that has to go with it. On top of all this, since 600MHz requires massive panels, they might have to restructure some sites. I'm calling them out on this, there's just no way end of 2017 is doable.

There's no way they can get new equipment by the end of 2017, with all the designing testing and production work that has to go with it. On top of all this, since 600MHz requires massive panels, they might have to restructure some sites. I'm calling them out on this, there's just no way end of 2017 is doable.

Design and testing has probably already started so that the equipment vendors can bring products to market ASAP.

Lots of people said they couldn't reach their EoY 2015 LTE coverage goal, and they ended up shattering it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lots of people said they couldn't reach their EoY 2015 LTE coverage goal, and they ended up shattering it.

Yeah, a lot of low density, crap coverage.

AJ

• Like 2

So wait is some of the coverage that 700 covers it's just that and edge with no fallback to HSPA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least they're making an effort. [emoji57]

Yeah, so what?  T-Mobile gets effort credit for most everything.  "Well, they're trying.  Good for them.  Yay, team Magenta!"

But if Sprint made a half assed, low density coverage footprint expansion, people would call it "shit."

AJ

• Like 3

Yeah, so what? T-Mobile gets effort credit for most everything. "Well, they're trying. Good for them. Yay, team Magenta!"

But if Sprint made a half assed, low density coverage footprint expansion, people would call it "shit."

AJ

I wouldn't. I would absolutely love Sprint to expand its coverage instead of relying so heavily on roaming everywhere outside major metros. You can't really make an argument about not giving T-Mobile credit where it's due when Sprint hasn't even made an effort. Of course Sprint can repair it's brand in a similar fashion like T-Mobile did if it had the right focus and executed their plans at a faster pace. It's been proven possible by T-Mobile.

• Like 2

So wait is some of the coverage that 700 covers it's just that and edge with no fallback to HSPA?

Almost all new coverage that I have seen or come across depends on its location.

New densification sites in urban areas are L2100+U1900 for capacity.

New sites outside that in roam overbuild areas are either L2100+U2100 or L1900+U1900. Both is these irrespective of L700 which is dependent on if it's available.

Then there are L700 only sites. No GSM, no UMTS.

Sprint doesn't rely on roaming outside major metros in my experience. Sprint relies on roaming in areas where the amount of customers they receive won't justify the cost of building out service.

In my experience in driving down the east coast between Boston, NYC, and Greenville NC, the only time I encounter roaming is just outside of Greenville which is just open fields with towns of ~1,500 people spread few and far between and most of them have Verizon or U.S. Cellular. That's not worth the cost of building out if they can get cheap LTE roaming from USCC anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, so what? T-Mobile gets effort credit for most everything. "Well, they're trying. Good for them. Yay, team Magenta!"

But if Sprint made a half assed, low density coverage footprint expansion, people would call it shit.

AJ

That's where the difference with only being able to spend $5 billion in CapEx compared to the duo that can blow $10 billion plus is. T-Mobile have done the best they can do with their constraints. Meanwhile Sprint, which still has more low band than T-Mobile until the 600 MHz incentive auction closes, has lots of cells with GMO where they could easily add LTE with a tower climb and voila, added coverage with 1X Advanced and SMR LTE. If anything Sprint would get better coverage than T-Mobile in these situations. 1X, for all its flaws, is still a great fallback layer in voice applications, especially in rural.

I'm of a mixed mind on CapEx cuts given that Sprint got outperformed when they were going $6-8 billion a year by T-Mobile going $3-4 billion. I see where people should be concerned but it isn't like money was being spent efficiently in the first place. Tarek and Gunther have their work cut out for them. My first piece of advice for them, if I ever cross paths with them, would be to find the people making excuses and clear them out of the door with immediate effect. Sprint has to have a winning culture to beat T-Mobile. Simple as that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Took a road trip from NYC to North Carolina, and I never had the "no service" message on my device. Yet, my brother with T mobile ran into multiple stretches of the dreaded "no service" 

I think perception is everything, and from a marketing stand point Sprint has its work cut out for it, not to say that the network doesn't need work (cause it does, and its gonna happen).

Its just a situation where Sprint has to work twice as hard to gain half the customers confidence and its sad. 

• Like 3

Took a road trip from NYC to North Carolina, and I never had the "no service" message on my device. Yet, my brother with T mobile ran into multiple stretches of the dreaded "no service" 

I think perception is everything, and from a marketing stand point Sprint has its work cut out for it, not to say that the network doesn't need work (cause it does, and its gonna happen).

Its just a situation where Sprint has to work twice as hard to gain half the customers confidence and its sad. 

I had the same experience with AT&T, which at the time had vast stretches of no service in Georgia and South Carolina. I think they might have improved since then with the purchase of the Alltel (ATNI) spectrum in those states.

I may have inadvertently made the point for a consolidation.

Take Sprint's spectrum. 2600 out the wazoo. Then add the T-Mobile infrastructure. Their network toolkit that they are already on the track of deploying like 256 QAM, EVS, RCS, then toss the small cell strategy on top of T-Mobile's dense urban grid. Then throw in some of the technology strategies China Mobile is doing like uplink and downlink CoMP, 3D MIMO, and then toss TDD-FDD carrier aggregation into the mix.

20x20 FDD LTE in AWS

20x20 FDD LTE in PCS

3x20 carrier aggregation in TD-LTE

You'd have a carrier in this country the duo couldn't match. With 256 QAM that would be total speed of 850 Mbps at the theoretical max.

The fun part is T-Mobile's execs would not even need a lot of the legacy infrastructure. That could be retired like MetroPCS CDMA. But the small cells Sprint deploys would be very important. Add PCS and AWS FDD-LTE to those, then watch the duopoly quiver in fear.

• Like 3

The problem is, Sprint burned a lot of customers with the coming soon super network. In fact they even burned me back in 2010-2011, but I gave them the benefit of doubt.

People really hate when they pay for a service and don't get what they are expected, and that is Sprint problem. They burned a lot of customers. Tmobile was the weaker of all four carriers, but they have always been strong in Metro area even during their Faux G era.

Take Sprint's spectrum. 2600 out the wazoo. Then add the T-Mobile infrastructure. Their network toolkit that they are already on the track of deploying like 256 QAM, EVS, RCS, then toss the small cell strategy on top of T-Mobile's dense urban grid. Then throw in some of the technology strategies China Mobile is doing like uplink and downlink CoMP, 3D MIMO, and then toss TDD-FDD carrier aggregation into the mix.

20x20 FDD LTE in AWS

20x20 FDD LTE in PCS

You'd have a carrier in this country the duo couldn't match. With 256 QAM that would be total speed of 850 Mbps at the theoretical max.

The fun part is T-Mobile's execs would not even need a lot of the legacy infrastructure. That could be retired like MetroPCS CDMA. But the small cells Sprint deploys would be very important. Add PCS and AWS FDD-LTE to those, then watch the duopoly quiver in fear.

And that exactly why the twin bells told Wheeler to block q proposed Sprint_Tmobile merger. That would had destroyed their wireless business.

And that exactly why the twin bells told Wheeler to block q proposed Sprint_Tmobile merger. That would had destroyed their wireless business.

Just look at what would happen in NY. For the love of God. There would be people initially skeptical. Then Salim would tell them where to go find 850 Mbps and they'd see the logic right then and there.

It wouldn't be that difficult of an integration. Nokia small cells can hand off to Ericsson macros. Though I could see logic to take out everything and just go full Nokia in NY.

20x20 FDD LTE in AWS

20x20 FDD LTE in PCS

I look at those numbers and it reminds me of why I'd love for Sprint and T-Mobile to merge. Although, I know many Sprint enthusiasts here really don't want that to happen.

However, for those here who don't like the idea of a Sprint/T-Mobile merger, I'll state that while I like the idea, I prefer a merger between AT&T and T-Mobile even more. If Trump wins (not meaning to be political, just making a point regarding wireless merger business), I think there stands a good chance this very well may happen, if AT&T is at all interested. My thinking is they are, though they realize they won't get this to pass the FCC under a Democrat administration, although I think it might be easier with Hillary than with Obama. Still, the best chance is with Trump, and personally I'm curious if it may even go further than just AT&T/T-Mobile.

I know an AT&T merger would be great for my new phone, the Vivo Xplay 5 Elite, scheduled to arrive to me this approaching week. It'll work with all of T-Mobile's bands, except for band 12 which I'm not all that concerned about right now being in the Chicago market with no band 12 availability.

I look at those numbers and it reminds me of why I'd love for Sprint and T-Mobile to merge. Although, I know many Sprint enthusiasts here really don't want that to happen.

What are your thoughts on how they should structure their rate plans after such a merger?

• Like 2