New $80 (single-line) data plan w/ unlimited international 2G data.

EmeraldReporter

Perhaps you're right. I certainly want to see Sprint expand their international roaming offers. Who knows, perhaps this is the "in" to talk to Hutchinson Whampoa about setting up a more affordable roaming agreement with their footprint.

HWL has coverage in a number of countries:

• United Kingdom (Hutchison 3G UK t/a Three UK)
  • Ireland (Hutchison 3G Ireland t/a Three Ireland)
  • Austria (Hutchison Drei Austria t/a Drei Austria)
  • Denmark (Hi3G Denmark t/a Tre Danmark)
  • Sweden (Hi3G Access t/a Tre Sverige)
  • Hong Kong (3 Hong Kong)
  • Indonesia (Hutchinson 3 Indonesia t/a 3 Indonesia)
  • Italy (H3G t/a 3 Italia)

It'd be awesome if Sprint was able to get access to that footprint.

I certainly want to see Sprint expand their international data coverage to many parts of the world but that is going to take time.  I expect Sprint should have a more reasonable list by the end of 2015.

You can call and add the feature for free to your plan.

Also, it works by using Telefónica Latin America (movistar and vivo), Telefónica España (movistar Spain), Telefónica Europe (O2 in Germany and UK), and SoftBank in Japan for roaming networks.

Add to that SK Telecom in South Korea and VimpelCom in Russia.

I can't wait to hear when people actually start to take advantage of the International Value Roaming data feature.  I am curious about the process of such as things below to confirm that you are under the International Value Roaming data feature and not some of Sprint's more expensive international plans.

1.  Do you need to setup your Sprint phone before hand in order to use the 2G data?

2.  Will you receive some sort of text message from Sprint confirming you are under the International Value Roaming plan.  (I know that with Tmobile my friend says he gets a text message that confirms that you get free international roaming data.)

I can't wait to hear when people actually start to take advantage of the International Value Roaming data feature. I am curious about the process of such as things below to confirm that you are under the International Value Roaming data feature and not some of Sprint's more expensive international plans.

1. Do you need to setup your Sprint phone before hand in order to use the 2G data?

2. Will you receive some sort of text message from Sprint confirming you are under the International Value Roaming plan. (I know that with Tmobile my friend says he gets a text message that confirms that you get free international roaming data.)

I live in Albuquerque, so this may require a weekend trip to Mexico! Nice to know I won't really have to pay extra for my phone with this plan and Wifi Calling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I live in Albuquerque, so this may require a weekend trip to Mexico! Nice to know I won't really have to pay extra for my phone with this plan and Wifi Calling!

Would be nice and appreciated if you do make a trip to describe the whole international data process like what to expect when I turn on my phone in the other country.

• Like 2

You are able to add the free international data on SERO plan?  If so what do you have to do?

EDIT:  I was able to find the International Value Roaming option  under "Change my Services" on my account.  Thanks again Sprint.

Where did you find it?  It doesn't show up for my account.

Would be nice and appreciated if you do make a trip to describe the whole international data process like what to expect when I turn on my phone in the other country.

It sure would. Just be careful in the border area manzer. I know Tamaulipas/Nuevo Leon got pretty hot last month with Cartel activity blocking most of the major Mexican highways near the border. I know Juarez and the area around New Mexico has quited down, but it's still pretty bad.

After further reading, I haven't found anything that says that the roaming is exclusive to only Telefonica. As far as I can tell from the official Sprint statement, all indications are that ALL 2G roaming and SMS is unlimited. I'm assuming that Sprint will just make Movistar their prefered roaming partner and Telcel/Iusacell will fall in afterwards in areas Movistar isn't available. Only way to find out is for one of us to travel abroad, reach a Telefonica/Softbank dead zone and start texting and using data. T&P to the brave hampster willing to test this out.

Where did you find it?  It doesn't show up for my account.

It should look like this where the Sprint International Value Roaming option should fall under the International-> Data/text while roaming internationally section.  Since I added it already, it is not in that section anymore.

Your screenshot doesn't show that you even have the Data/text while roaming internationally section which is where your problem is.  Call Sprint to find out why that section is missing.  Also the press release says you can go to a Sprint store and they can add it for you.

YsfJRmn.jpg

It sure would. Just be careful in the border area manzer. I know Tamaulipas/Nuevo Leon got pretty hot last month with Cartel activity blocking most of the major Mexican highways near the border. I know Juarez and the area around New Mexico has quited down, but it's still pretty bad.

After further reading, I haven't found anything that says that the roaming is exclusive to only Telefonica. As far as I can tell from the official Sprint statement, all indications are that ALL 2G roaming and SMS is unlimited. I'm assuming that Sprint will just make Movistar their prefered roaming partner and Telcel/Iusacell will fall in afterwards in areas Movistar isn't available. Only way to find out is for one of us to travel abroad, reach a Telefonica/Softbank dead zone and start texting and using data. T&P to the brave hampster willing to test this out.

Yes. Thank you for the notice. Being grown up around here, partially speaking Mexican Spanish, and traveling there I've learned where some safer places and towns are. But if/when I can test it, safe will definitely be the way to go!

ab544eb45bf255aea1f1bf027315f3e3.jpg

ab544eb45bf255aea1f1bf027315f3e3.jpg

And there it goes. Thanks for the find!

But now the question is what happens when you fall outside of Telefonica/Softbank range? Will we even be allowed to roam on other networks in those countries? And if we are, how will we know when we are roaming on Telefonica and not (for example) Telcel?

• Like 1

What do Sprint calls and texts cost when in Canada?

Calls are 59¢/minute without the $2.99/mo Canada roaming add-on* and 20¢/minute with it. Texts are charged at your domestic plan rate, so if you have unlimited texts (who doesn't in 2015?) that carries to Canada.

* not sure if this add-on is still available or not.

• Like 3

Calls are 59¢/minute without the $2.99/mo Canada roaming add-on* and 20¢/minute with it. Texts are charged at your domestic plan rate, so if you have unlimited texts (who doesn't in 2015?) that carries to Canada.

* not sure if this add-on is still available or not.

Yes, it's still available. Just have to call International support to add it on.

• Like 1

I just added this onto both of our lines. Between the wifi calling and this, I'll be set when I go to Mexico sometime within a year or so!

Just a word of warning: My dad was unable to use wifi calling in Mexico because it insisted he put in an address, and no matter how it was formatted, Sprint refused to accept it.

Anyway, the free texting and limited internet is a killer app for my family. My only complaint is that it took so long after Tmobile did it, but it is fantastic that it is here now.

Edit 1:

This is odd...

It has to be done on a line by line basis yes? I can do it for two lines but not my third. Ugh. Does this mean I have toc all Sprint?

Edit 2:

I hate the stupid phone system. Why do I have to listen to an ad about easy pay before even getting to the menu options?

First agent said she couldnt do anything and would transfer me to international department.

International department says theres no such thing as a new free roaming text and data plan and now Im on hold.

Sigh.

Edit 3:

Ah shit, the Aquos is apparently not part of the Sprint free international roaming party. Fantastic.

Just a word of warning: My dad was unable to use wifi calling in Mexico because it insisted he put in an address, and no matter how it was formatted, Sprint refused to accept it.

I remember us having a brief discussion about this awhile ago. It looks like the Sharp Aquos still hasn't been updated with the international wifi calling feature so, sadly, that's not too surprising.

I'm guessing because the Aquos doesn't work on GSM bands?

Yep, that's exactly why. I went to add the international value roaming on a line that has an ancient iPhone 4 on it and it was no dice. Every other line on my account that has a device with a GSM/W-CDMA radio had the option and accepted it with no problems at all.

I'm guessing because the Aquos doesn't work on GSM bands?

What are your other phones?

That seems to be the case, even though Mexico is very CDMA friendly.

For a 2014 flagship model, this is very dissapointing, and from what I saw, the Sprint branding materials don't really mention the limitation.

The Iphone 5s and Galaxy S4 added the feature without any issue, which is good. I look forward to using it.

Probably not for much longer with AT&T buying Iusacell. Regardless, Sprint's value roaming partner in Mexico is Telefonica which is a GSM/W-CDMA carrier.

For a 2014 flagship model, this is very dissapointing, and from what I saw, the Sprint branding materials don't really mention the limitation.

The Sharp Aquos wasn't and isn't a flagship model. I mean it debuted on Sprint for $239.99 without subsidy.

Also, the limitation is in the fine print.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/

Requires international capable phone and eligible domestic service plan on the account with primary usage in the U.S. Includes text messaging and data in select countries on GSM/GPRS networks only. 

The Iphone 5s and Galaxy S4 added the feature without any issue, which is good. I look forward to using it.

Iusacell has an OK CDMA network, but not friendly when compared to what Movistar and Telcel have. In my experience, Iusacell severely lacked a lot of rural and small town coverage. Most major highways were not connected with service last time I was down there and it quickly became obvious to me that they fell behind in expansions to their rivals. I know they had set a deadline for their CDMA shut down and were in the process of converting their customers to GSM phones.

I think Sprint was smart in negotiating with Movistar. Losing a crucial roaming partner right next door to you would have been catastrophic. I can only imagine the exodus of people who work, visit or live near the border had this deal not gone through?

This is a nice perk - I just added it to my plan.

Hopefully they don't take it away or start charging for it later.

I think as long as T-Mobile is offering it at no charge, Sprint will as well. Hopefully, it'll take place at the other big two carriers at some point in the future, as well. International roaming has long been ridiculously high priced. You wouldn't believe what I paid in Bermuda last year for cell service so I could check up on the kid back home! Cannot wait for Sprint to add additional countries.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When do you guys think Sprint will begin to add more markets to the international value roaming program?  I am hoping by Q2 earnings call that we will hear some more roaming partnerships especially Canada and most of western Europe.