New $80 (single-line) data plan w/ unlimited international 2G data.

EmeraldReporter

Does anybody know how one goes about ensuring that you can use the free data and not accidentally roam into paid data and texting?

After trying to find the text that rawvega found without success, I decided to ask Sprint Worldwide Chat and find out. What I was told was that any network in the countries listed could be used under the International Value Roaming rate plan. When I specifically asked if I could roam into Telcel or Iusacell, I was told yes. Same rates for Movistar/Iusacell/Telcel; unlimited texts/data and .20¢ phone calls.

But of course, Sprint reps are known to be constantly wrong about a lot of things and this could very well be one of those instances since rawvega found the fine print text. I'm guessing that we won't be able to roam on any network other than Telefonica/SoftBank since a PRL/Profile update were sent to my phone right after I enabled the International Value plan.

S4GRU needs a Guinea Pig near the border to go out and conduct tests.....NOT IT!

• Like 1

S4GRU needs a Guinea Pig near the border to go out and conduct tests.....NOT IT!

It!

This won't help much now, but I will be able to report soon.  In a few weeks I will be taking a trip (driving) to MX from PHX.  I plan on leaving my phone on, with International Data Roaming and International Voice enabled.  I have already ensured several times that the International Value Roaming plan is indeed active on all my Sprint devices. Although most of my trip will be in Movistar coverage, there are a few gaps, which is what I am most curious about.  I will leave my phone on the entire time, just to test.  Again, it will be a few weeks before I take my vacation but, I will report back.  

• Like 3

I enabled the free international roaming on my plan and my work may be sending me to Mexico City this month.  If they do, I'll post a report.  (Last time, I left my phone in airplane mode the entire time I was there.)

- Trip

• Like 5

I have someone in my plan that recently visited 2 countries (1 listed in value roaming list and the other is not). Since this person is not tech savvy at all, I wasnt able to determine where the charged message was sent. Maybe it was sent in Mexico on a non Movistar network...maybe it wasn't. Who knows.

What I can confirm is that the phone was not able to establish a data connection. But like I said earlier, it could very well be possible that roaming was off on the phone. But at least we know that messages with Telefonica are definitely free.

We still need some boots in the ground in San Diego, El Paso, or anywhere near the border to get more answers.

post-38356-0-52714400-1430759354_thumb.png

Edited by greenbastard

I can't find the actual PROVIDERS - or is it any provider in those countries?

On TMO I was free to force any provider from list that popped in my carrier settings.

Overseas providers have no reason to charge high like verizon cause sprint isn't competing with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't find the actual PROVIDERS - or is it any provider in those countries? 

You can find Sprint's roaming partners on this site. When you type in your destination, you scroll down and click "show" by International Carriers. For example, for mexico is shows this: 4tbCegV.png

• Like 1

You can find Sprint's roaming partners on this site. When you type in your destination, you scroll down and click "show" by International Carriers. For example, for mexico is shows this: 4tbCegV.png

For the purposes of International Value Roaming, I don't think that the Sprint website is accurate. Here is what rawvega posted (which I haven't been able to find). Its pretty specific.

ab544eb45bf255aea1f1bf027315f3e3.jpg

The confusion on my end is that Sprint chat reps have told me that any carrier on the countries listed should work with unlimited data/text & .20¢ calls. So which one is it? I have no clue.

I also cant find anything as to what free unlimited texting really means.

If Im in Mexico, and I text a Mexican cell number, is that free?

The FAQ is very inadequate

Should be free. It's that way on TMO.

Can't imagine it being otherwise.

Should be free. It's that way on TMO.

Can't imagine it being otherwise.

I worry though Sprint would raise the unlimited data price, in order to accommodate this, the same as T-Mobile did by raising the rate from $70 monthly to $80 monthly.

I worry though Sprint would raise the unlimited data price, in order to accommodate this, the same as T-Mobile did by raising the rate from $70 monthly to $80 monthly.

Sprint has oodles more spectrum per sub than TMO. Won't happen anytime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Sprint expands the Sprint free international data roaming to 22 countries now (up from 15) to include Colombia, Denmark, Honduras, Ireland, Italy, Paraguay and Sweden

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-expands-free-data-roaming-to-colombia-denmark-honduras-ireland-italy-paraguay-and-sweden.htm?previousArticle=11875&nextArticle=11873&gotoArt=%2Fnews-releases%2Fsprint-expands-free-data-roaming-to-colombia-denmark-honduras-ireland-italy-paraguay-and-sweden.htm

Current list of supported countries for Sprint International Value Roaming program

North/Central America

• Mexico
  • Costa Rica
  • Panama 
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Nicaragua

South America

• Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Colombia