Are all phones out this year going to support increased roaming capabilities?

greencat

Specifically wondering about the Galaxy S 6 and LG G4. Also wasn't there supposed to be a wall article on CCA/RRPP updates? Just wondering if you guys have heard anything that I've missed. Should be pretty close to that info coming out.

• Like 1

Specifically wondering about the Galaxy S 6 and LG G4. Also wasn't there supposed to be a wall article on CCA/RRPP updates? Just wondering if you guys have heard anything that I've missed. Should be pretty close to that info coming out.

It would be nice

I think it was mentioned somewhere that Sprint was gonna require all phones released after a certain date to have LTE bands 2, 4, 5, and 12, (the RRPP bands) in addition to 25, 26, and 41 (Sprint's regular bands), plus GSM.

It would be nice

Wouldn't it be nice...

You know it's gonna make it that much better...

AJ

• Like 2

I think it was mentioned somewhere that Sprint was gonna require all phones released after a certain date to have LTE bands 2, 4, 5, and 12, (the RRPP bands) in addition to 25, 26, and 41 (Sprint's regular bands), plus GSM.

My understanding was that devices supporting 2, 4, and 12 will be available first quarter and 5 will be later in the year. 

• Like 2

I don't follow your comment on not being able to roam until later this year. What triggers that?

I don't follow your comment on not being able to roam until later this year. What triggers that?

Similar to how the G2 came out as one of the first Triband devices. It had compatible radios but wasn't activated to connect to B26/B41 out of the box. Needed an update for Spark functionality.

Sent from my M8

Why in the world would the LG G Flex 2 not support Sprint Spark out of the box?

I think it was Band 5 LTE roaming it won't support right out of the box, similar in fashion to how the G2 didn't support Spark until a firmware update enabled it.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

I don't recall anything that has the G Flex 2 not supporting Sprint Band 41 when released. I think even the original Flex supported B41 on release day.

• Like 1

I don't know why it won't support B5 right out of the box; I might even be wrong about that (hopefully I am). My understanding was that roaming on band 5 won't be supported initially for any phones, that it's not specific to the G Flex. So presumably there's some sort of compatibility issue that needs to be worked out between the various networks / phones and then it'll be enabled via a software update. Don't quote me though, that's just my speculation

Why in the world would the LG G Flex 2 not support Sprint Spark out of the box?

The g flex 2 supports band 4 and 12 then 25,26,41

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested to see the performance of these phones in terms of signal strength. Someone said that phones that support all those bands tend to suffer with signal strength because they have to be 'tuned' as to not really be optimized for any band, providing somewhat mediocre performance on all bands.

I'm interested to see the performance of these phones in terms of signal strength. Someone said that phones that support all those bands tend to suffer with signal strength because they have to be 'tuned' as to not really be optimized for any band, providing somewhat mediocre performance on all bands.

I am sure the new antennas are tuned correctly. In the old days of monopole antennas that had to be tuned precisely by having their length be equal to lambda/2 yes, but nowadays antennas are so much more sophisticated.