Account Spending Limit

derrph

I understand why Sprint has the ASL in place to help keep customers bills down and stuff. But if sprint is turning a new leaf why now just do away with it cause most people see it as sprint is trying to take more money out of their pockets or just offer the service but for free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ASL program should be retired.  Migrate those ASL subs with solid payment history to unrestricted postpaid, those ASL subs with blemished payment history to prepaid.  And any new subs that cannot pass the credit check for unrestricted postpaid should not be given an ASL option.  These days, those credit challenged subs should be on prepaid anyway.

AJ

• Like 2

I understand why Sprint has the ASL in place to help keep customers bills down and stuff. But if sprint is turning a new leaf why now just do away with it cause most people see it as sprint is trying to take more money out of their pockets or just offer the service but for free?

The ASL is set up to protect Sprint from customers with sub-par credit running up a bill of hundreds of dollars and not being able to pay it. After 12 continuous on-time payments, you can sometimes have the ASL removed upon request.

The ASL program should be retired.  Migrate those ASL subs with solid payment history to unrestricted postpaid, those ASL subs with blemished payment history to prepaid.  And any new subs that cannot pass the credit check for unrestricted postpaid should not be given an ASL option.  These days, those credit challenged subs should be on prepaid anyway.

AJ

Under your terms, Sprint wouldn't have many postpaid customers. Under the ASL, it allows customers with sub-par credit the opportunity to show their credit worthiness to Sprint, which after 12 months can open a customer to unrestricted service. Everyone's credit history can vary for all types of reasons.

The ASL is set up to protect Sprint from customers with sub-par credit running up a bill of hundreds of dollars and not being able to pay it. After 12 continuous on-time payments, you can sometimes have the ASL removed upon request.

That I understand 100% because sprint is a business and need to protect themselves at all cost. I just don't see why the ASL can't be free or atleast $3 if they feel the need to charge for it.

Forgive me...but I honestly don't know the answer. What the heck is an Account Spending Limit? Is this just a limit your bill can hit if you don't pay the bill before they terminate service? And they charge a fee for this "protection"?

Under your terms, Sprint wouldn't have many postpaid customers.

It would also be different if it wasn't such a hassle to get rid of it. I had to call over a dozen times for it to get taken off then another 5 or 6 calls when it still showed up on my next bill.

Forgive me...but I honestly don't know the answer. What the heck is an Account Spending Limit? Is this just a limit your bill can hit if you don't pay the bill before they terminate service? And they charge a fee for this "protection"?

There are different levels of the spending limit. They may have changed since I've been there, but they were: $125, $250, $300 and $500 I believe. As long as you keep your total account balance under that amount (no matter how many phones you have), service would perform as normal. If your balance was over your set amount, calls and data were restricted on at least the main line on the account. If you paid enough to get under the ASL, your service would return to normal. Your service was never terminated.

It would also be different if it wasn't such a hassle to get rid of it. I had to call over a dozen times for it to get taken off then another 5 or 6 calls when it still showed up on my next bill.

That's due to the representatives that you worked with on the phone. Majority of store representatives can just call into employee support for you, they'll review your account and either it's updated immediately or they tell you how many months you need of on-time payments before it could be removed or increased to a higher amount.

Again, I'm going off of when I was an employee (2009). Things may have changed.

AJ

With that option most post paid bad credit customers may just move to Other carriers. That much of a loss would devastate sprint. Doing it your way could possibly be the end of sprint. If I had a contract, and was forced to prepaid just because I maybe late a few days every now and then, then I would be gone. The ASL fees would be ok but $7.99 plus a deposit for a line is still kinda high.

Under your terms, Sprint wouldn't have many postpaid customers.

I am not sure I buy that.  Are you insinuating that most Sprint postpaid subs have poor credit ratings?

AJ

Many of you are missing my point.  The ASL program has outlived its usefulness.  So many other service options beyond postpaid are available now.  And in light of that, the ASL monthly fee seems egregious and punitive.

Now, if for lack of the ASL option, you would otherwise go elsewhere for postpaid, try it.  If you have poor credit, the chances of getting approved for postpaid at VZW, AT&T, or T-Mobile would not be any greater.  Your options would be prepaid or MVNO.

For the record, I started with Sprint on an ASL fifteen years ago while I was in college.  The ASL incurred no deposit nor fee, and it was lifted in relatively short order because of my payment history.  If you cannot get off the ASL, I am sorry, but you are likely responsible for your situation.  You are overextended or do not manage your money properly, and you present a bad debt risk to Sprint.

That last point is the reason for the ASL, deposit, and/or fee in the first place.  I agree the fee is excessive -- especially for people who are probably already financially strapped.  But you cannot have it both ways.  You cannot have subprime credit and not pay extra for postpaid.  Try that with a car loan or a mortgage -- if your credit is poor, your interest rate will be higher.

AJ

• Like 1

I am not sure I buy that.  Are you insinuating that most Sprint postpaid subs have poor credit ratings?

AJ

After I read your first post are you insinuating that people that use Sprint's prepaid services have poor credit?  I choose to use "Sprint Prepaid" because I don't want to be tied down to a contract, I didn't have to sign a contract to get my cable and internet so why should I have too for wireless service? 

I know there are people that have no choice but to use prepaid because their credit rating is poor but its not the case for everybody.  

After I read your first post are you insinuating that people that use Sprint's prepaid services have poor credit?  I choose to use "Sprint Prepaid" because I don't want to be tied down to a contract, I didn't have to sign a contract to get my cable and internet so why should I have too for wireless service? 

I know there are people that have no choice but to use prepaid because their credit rating is poor but its not the case for everybody.  

No, please do not jump to that conclusion.  That is an illogical conclusion.  And I know -- because I teach symbolic logic.

Those who have poor credit use prepaid does not conversely imply that those who use prepaid have poor credit.  It is not a biconditional statement.

If a dog is a mammal, does that make any mammal a dog?  See the difference?

AJ

I started out on Sprint in 2009 and started with a ASL and 1 line of eligibility since I had no credit. After a year of faithful on time payments they took me off and gave me a second line if I needed one. Fast forward to today and I am eligible for 5 lines and have 4. Point is AJ your wrong on this one. They would not have let me on a postpaid account if they didn't have ASL and I'm still a customer to this day. That's almost six years of money they would have missed out on because they have credit standards, Verizon and At&t would only let me join if I paid $400 and $500 accordingly. I laughed right out of both stores. I think ASL is a good thing as long as Sprint can protect themselves from the delinquent crowd.

I started out on Sprint in 2009 and started with a ASL and 1 line of eligibility since I had no credit. After a year of faithful on time payments they took me off and gave me a second line if I needed one. Fast forward to today and I am eligible for 5 lines and have 4. Point is AJ your wrong on this one. They would not have let me on a postpaid account if they didn't have ASL and I'm still a customer to this day. That's almost six years of money they would have missed out on because they have credit standards, Verizon and At&t would only let me join if I paid $400 and $500 accordingly. I laughed right out of both stores. I think ASL is a good thing as long as Sprint can protect themselves from the delinquent crowd.

I'm not sure that makes AJ wrong.  If they get rid of ASL, then the policy should be that once you are on prepaid for 12 months and no late payments, then you can qualify for a postpaid account regardless of other credit.  It just has prepaid function the same way as ASL.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that makes AJ wrong. If they get rid of ASL, then the policy should be that once you are on prepaid for 12 months and no late payments, then you can qualify for a postpaid account regardless of other credit. It just has prepaid function the same way as ASL.

I don't think Sprint had prepaid 6 years ago. That's what I'm referring. I wouldn't be a Sprint customer if that didn't exist. I have two lines available on Verizon because I had to get on someone else's plan and pay faithfully for tablet data since Sprint was so bad at data at the time. They left Verizon because of prices and my line was upgraded to a full account because I paid on time and I bypassed the $400 charge because of this. I helps people but I could see the prepaid thing working. I subtract my statement about AJ being wrong.

I don't think Sprint had prepaid 6 years ago. That's what I'm referring. I wouldn't be a Sprint customer if that didn't exist. I have two lines available on Verizon because I had to get on someone else's plan and pay faithfully for tablet data since Sprint was so bad at data at the time. They left Verizon because of prices and my line was upgraded to a full account because I paid on time and I bypassed the $400 charge because of this. I helps people but I could see the prepaid thing working. I subtract my statement about AJ being wrong.

Yeah, ASL was fine 6 years ago.  It's just past its prime.  And to pay a monthly premium for it too is kind of lame.

Point is AJ your wrong on this one.

No, I am not wrong on this one.  You, too, seemingly miss my point.

Were you assessed a monthly ASL fee?  Did you willingly agree to it and pay it?  If so, you seem satisfied.  But derrph does not.  So, if anyone, tell derrph that he/she is wrong.  You think the fee based ASL program is a benefit.

Additionally, this is not 2009.  We are six years removed from that time, and options have changed.  Prepaid and MVNO options are more prevalent and relevant than ever.

And if you laughed right out of VZW and AT&T in 2009, where would you have gone?  How do you know that you would not have chosen a Sprint prepaid or MVNO brand, thereby Sprint would not have lost "almost six years of money"?

Terrell352, you sound like an ASL success story.  Good show.  I like to hear that.  And did I not also share my own ASL success story earlier?  But we cannot generalize from those personal anecdotes that the ASL program is a success overall.

Do you now see my point(s)?

AJ

No, I am not wrong on this one. You, too, seemingly miss my point.

Were you assessed a monthly ASL fee? Did you willingly agree to it and pay it? If so, you seem satisfied. But derrph does not. So, if anyone, tell derrph that he/she is wrong. You think the fee based ASL program is a benefit.

Additionally, this is not 2009. We are six years removed from that time, and options have changed. Prepaid and MVNO options are more prevalent and relevant than ever.

And if you laughed right out of VZW and AT&T in 2009, where would you have gone? How do you know that you would not have chosen a Sprint prepaid or MVNO brand, thereby Sprint would not have lost "almost six years of money"?

Terrell352, you sound like an ASL success story. Good show. I like to hear that. And did I not also share my own ASL success story earlier? But we cannot generalize from those personal anecdotes that the ASL program is a success overall.

Do you now see my point(s)?

AJ

I hear you. The wireless game has changed 10 fold. I do know for a fact that 6 years ago I would not have joined a mvno for one simple reason and that is because phones on those carriers were garbage. Would rather not have had a phone at all.

you can be on ASL without the charge (free);

- enroll in ebill

- enroll in automatic payments (either to your checking account, or a credit card).

BTW, automatic payments to a credit card are pretty awesome.

You never have to worry about a late or missed payment.

If you have a credit card that gives you points, you get extra points every month from charging and paying your phone bill(s).

• Like 5

FYI: On the ASL, They drop off after 18 months of good payment history. This is coming from Sprint reps. (At least what I was told). 

FYI: On the ASL, They drop off after 18 months of good payment history. This is coming from Sprint reps. (At least what I was told). 

Nope, they lie and say that's not true and that ASL is just part of the plan and will never be removed. I fought tooth and nail for about 8 hours two months ago and finally had it removed.

I don't really see a problem with the account spending limit. The fee gets waived if you enroll in autopay, and it allows people with lesser credit to establish postpaid service with less risk to Sprint. I started off in 2006 on the ASL program with a $150 deposit. After 12 months of on time payments the deposit was applied to my bill and ASL was removed at my request.