600 MHz auction results posted and transition schedule

ericdabbs

is that good, bad, or otherwise?

Considering that the forward auction has only been hitting roughly $20B there will likely be several more reverse auctions before the reserve will be met.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Stage 3 reverse just ended at $40.3 billion.

And, voilà, Stage 3 forward already ended at just $19.7 billion, a decrease from Stage 2.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/bidders-remain-silent-as-stage-3-incentive-auction-ends-after-1-round-total-drops-to-19-7b

Crash and burn, 600 MHz, crash and burn.

AJ

• Like 4

Sprint may have been right on something. If this is anything to go by it'll be hell getting chip makers to include the 600 mhz in upcoming phones if the interest so far has been meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Stage 4 begins on 12/13.

And will that not bring the mobile auctionable spectrum down to around 30 MHz FDD?

AJ

• Like 3

Sprint may have been right on something. If this is anything to go by it'll be hell getting chip makers to include the 600 mhz in upcoming phones if the interest so far has been meh.

As long as VZW and AT&T do not sit on their hands entirely, then the future 600 MHz ecosystem will be okay.  But if T-Mobile is the only major operator to come away with anything, then all bets are off, and 600 MHz could be a niche band.

AJ

35x35.

So, Stage 4 at 70 MHz will be the final round with 30 MHz (15 MHz FDD) reserve spectrum.  Once Stage 4 fails to complete the auction, Stage 5 will reduce the reserve to 20 MHz (10 MHz FDD), correct?

AJ

So, Stage 4 at 70 MHz will be the final round with 30 MHz (15 MHz FDD) reserve spectrum.  Once Stage 4 fails to complete the auction, Stage 5 will reduce the reserve to 20 MHz (10 MHz FDD), correct?

AJ

I believe that's right, though I'm not an expert on the forward side of things. 

That said, your pessimism is showing.  :P 

- Trip

• Like 1

Broadcasters would be out of their minds to give up their spectrum at these prices. 

There's also newer and better things they can do like ATSC 3.0 to fully maximize picture quality. With cord cutting being more and more prevalent, rabbit ears are more and more important. Not only does this put pressure back on the mobile industry to come up with better solutions for increasing rural spectrum, it also can be a good thing to drain the swamp that is Pay TV. 

Part of me is surprised Comcast isn't getting involved more to buy up 600 MHz, but they aren't going to sell their NBC spectrum to get in the wireless business. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like 84MHz was the sweet spot.

https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/1000?stage=4

At 10 bills, this might actually spark a decent bidding war and broadcasters get more then they are asking total.  35x35 / 7 channels.  What is the reserve here?  Is it still 30MHz?

People going to come away with some healthy spectrum holdings me thinks. Have we found out if Softbank/Sprint is hiding behind a name to place bids?

• Like 1

At 10 bills, this might actually spark a decent bidding war and broadcasters get more then they are asking total.  35x35 / 7 channels.  What is the reserve here?  Is it still 30MHz?

People going to come away with some healthy spectrum holdings me thinks. Have we found out if Softbank/Sprint is hiding behind a name to place bids?

Yep it is still 30MHz.

I hope Sprint/Softbank did.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

At 10 bills, this might actually spark a decent bidding war and broadcasters get more then they are asking total. 35x35 / 7 channels. What is the reserve here? Is it still 30MHz?

Omg if we're to be true that SB was bidding under a different name I'd hit the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course not, since Sprint has covered the suburbs/exurbs so well!

Phooey.  That is not a 600 MHz issue.

AJ

Yeah it isn't but lower frequency spectrum helps. If they can do it using small cells more power to them. I want to see results.

Sprint already has low band spectrum.  Additional low band spectrum would be just raw material -- it would not build its own new sites.  A 5 MHz FDD chunk of 600 MHz would not bring "results."

AJ