600 MHz auction results posted and transition schedule

ericdabbs

For 126 MHz, it was $86.4 billion, IIRC.

How does the loss of only two OTA physical channels drop the target by over $30 billion?  That 114 MHz seems like too much spectrum for too little money.

AJ

How does the loss of only two OTA physical channels drop the target by over $30 billion?  That 114 MHz seems like too much spectrum for too little money.

AJ

In the initial stage, a number of markets had no competitive bidding (see any area with market variation as examples).  With the addition of two more channels, most (not all) markets have now had at least some competitive bidding. 

- Trip

How much do TV stations in the 600MHz band make per year? Most of them actually will be repacked in lower bands so they are not going to lose their allocation. The millennials don't watch TV, either OTA or cable or satellite. So why the hell are we paying the OTA spectrum holders? Can somebody tell me?

How much do we make? Not nearly as much as you think...

(The political season is driving up add costs, so that is helping in the short term)

Most of your smaller market stations barely break even looking at cost to get product on air vs revenue. 

How much do we make? Not nearly as much as you think...

(The political season is driving up add costs, so that is helping in the short term)

Most of your smaller market stations barely break even looking at cost to get product on air vs revenue. 

I want that spectrum to be used to generate higher GDP. I do believe that wireless carriers will do that.

I want that spectrum to be used to generate higher GDP. I do believe that wireless carriers will do that.

I did not know that "600" stands for "GDP."  I also did not know that wireless operators do not presently have spectrum with which to generate higher GDP.

AJ

• Like 1

I did not know that "600" stands for "GDP."  I also did not know that wireless operators do not presently have spectrum with which to generate higher GDP.

AJ

Spectrum is a public resource and it should be used in the most economically efficient manner. I believe that is cellular communications. My beef is why the hell are we paying the broadcasters to vacate.

Spectrum is a public resource and it should be used in the most economically efficient manner. I believe that is cellular communications. My beef is why the hell are we paying the broadcasters to vacate.

You really have gone off the deep end on this one.  Your beliefs do not a logical argument make.

AJ

• Like 1

"Land in cities is a limited resource and should be used in the most economically efficient manner.  I believe that to be apartment buildings.  Why the hell are do private apartment building developers have to pay people to vacate their single family homes when they should be able to just bulldoze them and build apartments?"

Not the perfect analogy, but pretty close.  Unless you're one of those people who believes eminent domain should be used to kick people out of properties to hand over to private developers, does that not strike you as unfair?  Usually, private developers pay people a premium to move out of their homes in prime locations to build there because it's more valuable as apartments.  How is this any different?

- Trip

• Like 1

"Land in cities is a limited resource and should be used in the most economically efficient manner.  I believe that to be apartment buildings.  Why the hell are do private apartment building developers have to pay people to vacate their single family homes when they should be able to just bulldoze them and build apartments?"

Not the perfect analogy, but pretty close.  Unless you're one of those people who believes eminent domain should be used to kick people out of properties to hand over to private developers, does that not strike you as unfair?  Usually, private developers pay people a premium to move out of their homes in prime locations to build there because it's more valuable as apartments.  How is this any different?

- Trip

TV broadcasters did not pay for their spectrum. They were given it for free. To extend your analogy, let's say that a public housing project was built in what is now considered prime real estate. A private developer comes in and wants to buy the land from the government for a large amount of money so he can built high rise condos on the spot. Not only that but he will built a new public housing development in another spot. What shall the government do?

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

TV broadcasters did not pay for their spectrum. They were given it for free.

And the land the houses were built on was taken from the Native Americans for free, too.  Since then, market transactions have, in almost every case, included the value of the underlying land/spectrum.

- Trip

• Like 6

Spectrum is a public resource and it should be used in the most economically efficient manner.

Yosemite National Park is a public resource.  But most of it is just sitting there, unimproved.  We need to sell it to Disney.  Raising admission prices, building roller coasters, and creating jobs will increase GDP.

The White House is a public resource.  We need to take advantage of built in cross marketing and open a White House Black Market fashion boutique just off of the Rose Garden.

Public resources should be used in the most economically efficient manner.  We must increase GDP!

AJ

bigsnake49, you had a phone message while you were out this afternoon.  Let me see, oh, here it is...

Ayn Rand called.  She said, "You and your ideas be cray cray extreme."

AJ

• Like 1

TV broadcasters did not pay for their spectrum. They were given it for free. To extend your analogy, let's say that a public housing project was built in what is now considered prime real estate. A private developer comes in and wants to buy the land from the government for a large amount of money so he can built high rise condos on the spot. Not only that but he will built a new public housing development in another spot. What shall the government do?

Ah, you edited your post.

Well, the TV stations aren't owned by the government, like most public housing would be, so that analogy falls apart.  Furthermore, I'm not sure which part of forcing the TV stations off the air is anything like "new public housing [will be built] in another spot".

- Trip

• 3 weeks later...

bigsnake49, you had a phone message while you were out this afternoon.  Let me see, oh, here it is...

Ayn Rand called.  She said, "You and your ideas be cray cray extreme."

AJ

Not so. Why do you think we have this auction?

• 3 weeks later...