Thinking about coming back (Nexus 5 Question)

lburgdavid

Hey Everyone,

Was a sprint customer around a year ago. Left when the Nexus 5 came out.

My wife and I Joined T-mo, left after three months and  we have been with AT&T ever since.

I just found out that my employer has a 23% discount, which would mean we could get on the share pack for $77 + Tax.

I have one big question, have you all had any issues.

1. Activating unlocked N5's on sprint?

2. Had any issues using those N5's on sprint?

While I am in the black hole that is nTelos country, I am paying a little over $120 right now on AT&T so saving $35-40 a month is quite appealing to me..even with the abysmal 3G in the area. 

wasn't sure where this belonged..sorry if its in the wrong forum. 

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I Joined T-mo, left after three months and  we have been with AT&T ever since.

I just found out that my employer has a 23% discount, which would mean we could get on the share pack for $77 + Tax.

While I am in the black hole that is nTelos country, I am paying a little over $120 right now on AT&T so saving $35-40 a month is quite appealing to me..even with the abysmal 3G in the area. 

Where did you buy your nexus 5 from? If bought from T-Mobile it will not activate on Sprints end. Unless something has changed. Google play or Sprint bought variants will work fine with the proper UICC card, and of course activating thru sprints system.

Where did you buy your nexus 5 from? If bought from T-Mobile it will not activate on Sprints end. Unless something has changed. Google play or Sprint bought variants will work fine with the proper UICC card, and of course activating thru sprints system.

Got them from Google Play. Fantastic, glad to hear it should be fine to activate. 

Yeah, to echo Jeremy, the only issue I can think of is if you bought it from someone other than Sprint or Google. We know that Tmo purchased N5's are a no go on Sprint.

Got them from Google Play. Fantastic, glad to hear it should be fine to activate. 

I had trouble activating Nexus 5's from Google Play for friends on Sprint with stock 4.4.4. No incoming calls would come through and random problems with authentication. Sat with the store manager for hours trying to get it to work.

Googled the problem and others were having it as well. The fix was to flash 4.4.2, activate on Sprint, then upgrade to 4.4.4/flash whatever you want. I don't know if its a problem everyone has, but I thought I would throw this out there in case you had similar problems.

• Like 1

I had trouble activating Nexus 5's from Google Play for friends on Sprint with stock 4.4.4. No incoming calls would come through and random problems with authentication. Sat with the store manager for hours trying to get it to work.

Googled the problem and others were having it as well. The fix was to flash 4.4.2, activate on Sprint, then upgrade to 4.4.4/flash whatever you want. I don't know if its a problem everyone has, but I thought I would throw this out there in case you had similar problems.

Interesting, I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

I wonder if this might help fix some of the random issues I have accessing the Sprint CDMA network on my Nexus 5 as well. I'll have to try that...

I wonder if this might help fix some of the random issues I have accessing the Sprint CDMA network on my Nexus 5 as well. I'll have to try that...

If you're bootloader unlocked you can use fastboot or recorvery to flash the old baseband from 4.4.2. That's the real issue. Once you re-activate using the old baseband you can update to the current one and everything will work.

Why can't a t-mobile bought nexus 5 work on sprint? Even if the bootloader is unlocked and custum rom installed?

It is believed that the ESN numbers from the T-Mobile batch are not whitelisted in Sprint's system. Not sure who made that call, T-Mobile or Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you're bootloader unlocked you can use fastboot or recorvery to flash the old baseband from 4.4.2. That's the real issue. Once you re-activate using the old baseband you can update to the current one and everything will work.

Well, I originally activated with the old baseband. I bought my Nexus 5 and activated it on Sprint long before 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 came out.

Well, the meeting flopped today.

The sprint reps had no idea what they were doing with the phones and said uh...we can't activate these. They tried to claim they couldn't activate the phone even though they had a N5 on display.
You might try XYZ store, they have more experience..

I went to the only corporate store in the area, and they recommended I go to a licensed re-seller..

*Sigh* Gave sprint another chance and came up sorely disappointed. 

The sprint reps had no idea what they were doing with the phones and said uh...we can't activate these. They tried to claim they couldn't activate the phone even though they had a N5 on display.

I went to the only corporate store in the area, and they recommended I go to a licensed re-seller..

Make sure they are leaving the last digit off the IMEI when trying to activate your Nexus 5.

What was their excuse? All they would need to do is throw in a uicc card and read the meid off the phone information in the settings. It's their job to activate Sprint phones, they do it every time they make a sale. It just blows my mind how they would turn you down. I say report your experience with the store to dan@sprint.com at least.

Edit: Did you confuse them by saying you used the phone on At&t? If so I wouldn't mention that. Just come forward and say I want to activate these Sprint phones on plan X. Get the manager if you have to.

What was their excuse? All they would need to do is throw in a uicc card and read the meid off the phone information in the settings. It's their job to activate Sprint phones, they do it every time they make a sale. It just blows my mind how they would turn you down. I say report your experience with the store to dan@sprint.com at least.

Edit: Did you confuse them by saying you used the phone on At&t? If so I wouldn't mention that. Just come forward and say I want to activate these Sprint phones on plan X. Get the manager if you have to.

My bet is they wanted him to buy a new phone. My local store won't help you with anything unless you are buying a new phone and renewing your contract. One of the reasons why I have an iPhone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure they are leaving the last digit off the IMEI when trying to activate your Nexus 5.

I didn't even get that far :-(

They said that they couldn't activate the phones and suggested I go to another store in the area, who "Might be able to help me".

I with you was shocked, I couldn't believe what was happening. Is Dan's email still monitored? 

O and yes, I told them that they were previously on AT&T but explained they were sold unlocked from Google, and are compatible with their network. Here is the best part, the main rep i spoke to was the sales team lead... *sigh*

My bet is they wanted him to buy a new phone. My local store won't help you with anything unless you are buying a new phone and renewing your contract. One of the reasons why I have an iPhone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah I don't know what they were thinking, probably unhappy I wasn't activating 4 GS5's on Easy Pay like the woman next to me. 

Edited by lburgdavid

I didn't even get that far :-(

They said that they couldn't activate the phones and suggested I go to another store in the area, who "Might be able to help me".

I with you was shocked, I couldn't believe what was happening. Is Dan's email still monitored? 

O and yes, I told them that they were previously on AT&T but explained they were sold unlocked from Google, and are compatible with their network. Here is the best part, the main rep i spoke to was the sales team lead... *sigh*

Yah I don't know what they were thinking, probably unhappy I wasn't activating 4 GS5's on Easy Pay like the woman next to me. 

Good point. I don't know if it's monitored anymore since he's not there... lol

You could also leave a post on the Sprint community with your experience. Sometimes the customer service people there will call the store you went to and explain how things work. Depending on how much you want this to work out lol

Good point. I don't know if it's monitored anymore since he's not there... lol

You could also leave a post on the Sprint community with your experience. Sometimes the customer service people there will call the store you went to and explain how things work. Depending on how much you want this to work out lol

Yah, see the whole experience left a horrible taste in my mouth..so I am not sure I want it to work out. I hit up sprint twitter, and still haven't heard anything back. 

I think I'll stick with AT&T for a little while longer or maybe switch to Cricket. At least I know I can switch the sims and be done with it. 

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

Hey, sorry about your bad experience. 

FWIW, I took my Google bought N5 from Ting (Sprint MVNO) to T-Mobile and now to Sprint proper. One of the issues I ran into was some of the employees at my non corporate store did not know how to handle a N5. Mostly it came down to having to assign the SIM and also how to get the right IMEI. I went to the corporate store and they did not have an issue.

It just blows my mind how they would turn you down. I say report your experience with the store to dan@sprint.com at least.

Does dan@sprint.com even work anymore since Marcelo is now in charge? Would the best email address to try now be marcelo@sprint.com? I have no idea as I've never tried to contact Sprint that way.

Does dan@sprint.com even work anymore since Marcelo is now in charge? Would the best email address to try now be marcelo@sprint.com? I have no idea as I've never tried to contact Sprint that way.

dan@sprint.com still works. But Marcelo's email address for this is marcelo.claure@sprint.com

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2