Will Sprint eventually adopt Softcard (formally Isis Wallet) instead of just Google Wallet?

ericdabbs

Sprint is the only major cell phone carrier that has still not adopted the Softcard (Isis Wallet) system for mobile wallet payments and I was curious if you guys think that Sprint will eventually adopt it.  I believe so far Google Wallet has been a flop and to be honest I see Softcard receiving a lot more attention (partially due to the generous offers from carriers and from Softcard to sign up for the service) and not to mention the increasing Softcard partners.  

I personally would use the Softcard mobile payment system and I hate the fact that Sprint has to be different than everyone else.  I think its only natural that Softbank would adopt Softcard  :lol: at some point.  What do you guys think?

I rather have wallet.

Plus after the KitKat update, google wallet should work on other carriers to.

My cousin has a gs3 on AT&T and after the Kitkat update, wallet worked

I guess I see all these bonuses that each of the carriers offer for Softcard and not to mention Softcard themselves, I think it makes it worth it.  Not sure if Google Wallet actually offers these things.

I mean that is not that to say that Sprint can't keep Google Wallet onto its phones but rather it gives people a choice on whether they use Google Wallet or Softcard.  Personally I haven't tried Google Wallet and don't really have the urge to unless there are incentives for me to try out the mobile payment service which is why I like Softcard.  I personally have encountered anyone using Google Wallet and there are many articles out there that claim that Google Wallet failed.

http://marketingland.com/google-failed-can-apple-succeed-apple-pay-99406

Since I use the Amex Serve card, they currently have an offer that gives you back $1 for each purchase you make a purchase with your Serve card via Softcard at participating retailers and its like getting an instant $1 cash back.  Earlier this year they were offering a free Jamba Juice smoothie if you use Softcard to pay (which as soon as you scan it, it doesn't take any money from your CC or Serve card).  There are other offers where you receive $20 on a $40 purchase.  These are just a few examples of why I think the Softcard is much better than Google Wallet.

God I hope Sprint doesn't go with Isis. I've always really appreciated the level of integration Wallet offers and I've always been really angry about the other US carriers banning it on their networks.

• Like 2

Softcard?  Sounds like a new Masa subsidiary with a name like that.   :lol:

• Like 1

Softcard?  Sounds like a new Masa subsidiary with a name like that.   :lol:

I would avoid anything with the name Isis like the plague, myself.  Not good for marketing.

That is what i am saying  :lol: ...Softbank and Softcard.  Sounds like a match made in heaven.  Yes I mentioned Softcard on purpose due to the recent name change.

God I hope Sprint doesn't go with Isis. I've always really appreciated the level of integration Wallet offers and I've always been really angry about the other US carriers banning it on their networks.

I don't think Sprint has to choose sides on this.  I don't see why they couldn't allow both Google Wallet and Softcard.  I just think its silly to play the odd man out game again like they did with Wimax and later regretted it.  Also the carriers have been pretty good with offering incentives for using the mobile wallet system.  

I guess my main reason for wanting to use Softcard is the ability to use my Amex Serve card for mobile wallet payments.  I don't believe Google Wallet currently offers that feature since it is very limited.

• Like 2

However I still find Google Wallet to be very limited especially since it only supports Mastercard.  If anything I see Apple Pay succeeding since it supports Amex, Visa and Mastercard off the bat.

I guess my main reason for wanting to use Softcard is the ability to use my Amex Serve card for mobile wallet payments.  I don't believe Google Wallet currently offers that feature since it is very limited.

Huh, what?

I have all kinds of visa/mastercard/discover/amex on my wallet.

• Like 4

I have been using google wallet since I originally got my evo LTE. Tap and pay failures have always been on the merchant, not Google. The only drawback I've found is a lot of stores haven't deployed contactless payment systems.

I also have the physical Google wallet card that draws from the account and I've never had a problem with it. I have several credit cards as well as my bank debit cards all loaded. I also use wallet to send and receive money with friends and family instantly.

I tried to use Isis on my work G2 from Verizon and I have to say I am happy sprint allowed google wallet from the get go. Wallet is just better, there really is no comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm all for getting softcard as long as it doesnt take away my Google wallet.

I'm all for choice. I use g wallet and paypal for mobile payments. I rarely use g wallet but it's convenient when it's available. I think nfc payments would be more useful at places that are more automated and unstaffed like vending machines, laundromats, parking meters, buses and subways.

• Like 5

I don't think Sprint has to choose sides on this.  I don't see why they couldn't allow both Google Wallet and Softcard.  I just think its silly to play the odd man out game again like they did with Wimax and later regretted it.  Also the carriers have been pretty good with offering incentives for using the mobile wallet system.  However I still find Google Wallet to be very limited especially since it only supports Mastercard.  If anything I see Apple Pay succeeding since it supports Amex, Visa and Mastercard off the bat.

Google wallet supports more than master card.

It also work on AT&T now. not sure about verizon and tmobile

• Like 1

I was at  a Radio Shack once and overheard a customer wanting a Sprint phone for the sole purpose of Google Wallet.  It almost sounded like the employee was trying to steer him away from Sprint but he was insistent upon Google Wallet.

I've used it a few times, but the the time I really figured out how it worked, they dropped support for anything less than KitKat.  And I still have an EVO LTE.

I was at  a Radio Shack once and overheard a customer wanting a Sprint phone for the sole purpose of Google Wallet.  It almost sounded like the employee was trying to steer him away from Sprint but he was insistent upon Google Wallet.

I've used it a few times, but the the time I really figured out how it worked, they dropped support for anything less than KitKat.  And I still have an EVO LTE.

If you update to 4.3 via the RRU for the evo lte it restores google wallet tap and pay.

That is what i am saying  :lol: ...Softbank and Softcard.  Sounds like a match made in heaven.  Yes I mentioned Softcard on purpose due to the recent name change.

I don't think Sprint has to choose sides on this.  I don't see why they couldn't allow both Google Wallet and Softcard.  I just think its silly to play the odd man out game again like they did with Wimax and later regretted it.  Also the carriers have been pretty good with offering incentives for using the mobile wallet system.  However I still find Google Wallet to be very limited especially since it only supports Mastercard.  If anything I see Apple Pay succeeding since it supports Amex, Visa and Mastercard off the bat.

First of all, I don't understand why you need incentives to use a mobile payment system. I don't need special offers to still want to use Google Wallet. It's easy, fast and free. What else do you need?

Second, I have all of my credit cards, and various discount/store cards saved in my Google Wallet. It supports way more than just MasterCard. 

Plus, wallet integrates with certain websites and apps, the way PayPal does and apple pay will. Speaking of, I feel like using Google Wallet will become even easier now that apple is finally on board with mobile payments and pushing more retailers to make tap-and-pay systems available. 

• Like 6

It supports way more than just MasterCard.

Yup, that's true. In fact, the only CC I have on my Google Wallet is a Visa debit card.

Your other points are good, too.

I've never had a problem with G Wallet, its been a great service for me and has worked just like its supposed to every time I've used it.

Quick question does google wallet not work if you have no coverage? I never checked. Is that why they have Google wallet cards now?

I haven't ever had no coverage. I've had very slow 3G though. The store processed the payment fine with the virtual information stored in the app, and then Wallet finished the payment information and charged my actual card a few hours later when I had functioning data again.

Sent from my LG G3

Quick question does google wallet not work if you have no coverage? I never checked. Is that why they have Google wallet cards now?

You need to be able to unlock wallet with your pin which will require an internet connection. If you set the time out long enough you could be with no coverage and still use it. Its been a while since I set it, but I think you can set it up to 24 hours.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

First of all, I don't understand why you need incentives to use a mobile payment system. I don't need special offers to still want to use Google Wallet. It's easy, fast and free. What else do you need?

Second, I have all of my credit cards, and various discount/store cards saved in my Google Wallet. It supports way more than just MasterCard. 

Plus, wallet integrates with certain websites and apps, the way PayPal does and apple pay will. Speaking of, I feel like using Google Wallet will become even easier now that apple is finally on board with mobile payments and pushing more retailers to make tap-and-pay systems available. 

That is my hope. I use Google Wallet but I have been irritated by more and more retailers turning off their tap to pay feature, 7-eleven for gas, Sheetz even Walmart. Hopefully they will now turn that feature back on.

well over on Engadget I been getting into it with the apple fan boys because "apple" re-invented the wheel again with NFC they think that Google wallet isn't safe.. Apparently as there iphone users they yet to realize how few NFC payment places there are, in my area alone I can name possibly 3 business that do. So maybe now that apple has thrown money at it (not inventing) I may see more. Secondly none of them understand how the NFC works on android / wallet and the fact that none of your actual information is saved and is also encrypted. the SE chip scrambles this info, you have to have your gmail account signed in, which is also protected by outside IP logins, then you have a pin# you got to deploy. Then we get into the actual payment transfer on NFC and the fact that when this data is transferred its scrambled/encrypted until it receives on the POS side and not NFC.. 

With that said, If people are going to take numbers there going to take numbers.. Look at all these data breeches at retailers, banks, etc.. Its the opposite end of a money transaction, they don't need the cards to make it happen. 

to summarize, NFC is NFC, Tap and Pay is well; Tap and pay.. It doesn't matter if its apple or google.. There both secure. They both serve the same damn cause and effect. One came before the other. lol. 

and on this topic, I wouldn't mind trying softcard, but I really have this if its not broke why fix it? Wallet has worked perfectly outside of a few ??? transaction (McDonalds was my best one, double payment? luckily Google stores the transaction on my account so they reversed it..)

• Like 1