Google thinking of abandoning Android??

Hypeo

That may be. An no, I haven't tried another one. And I don't really like Swype. A pain for me to use.

I have been using swiftkey, I got it during the 10 cent sale. I think there are other free ones out there. I'll look around. I think there is an ICS keyboard that is free and pretty decent that I was using on my E4GT

iPhone/iPad user here, and I firmly believe Android is prettier and easier to use than iOS, and Google Maps Navigation is amazing on Android.

I will definitely agree with you about Google maps navigation being better on Android!

I don't think I have ever seen two people say unkind words about iPhones in the same thread in my life. Especially without someone jumping in the middle and gushing all over how they love the iPhone and Apple and would turn into an apple so Steve Jobs' ghost could take a bite out of them and they would be the mascot for Apple....

It really tires me out. There are fanatic Android users, yes, but most Android users openly admit the faults/shortcomings of the OS or their device. iFans, however, 99% of them admit nothing and as far as any shortcoming is concerned, if it isn't on iPhone, it's not important.

And I apologize to any iFans here, but I call it as I see it. We may have the entire 1% of iFans that admit when something is not perfect.

Man I wish this was a thread for spouting off dislike for iOS and iPhone as i read your post and was ready to blast away venting. LOL

Great articles BTW. Bookmarked one to have ready to show iOS fans next time I have fragmentation shoved down my throat. Lol

No offense to any iOS users on here though...I just like more than an app drawer OS. LOL hehe

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh, to clarify what I saw on the iPhone Fever about iOS fragmentation, iOS 3.1.2 & 3.1.3 were the maximum for the original iPhone and for the 3G & 3Gs iOS 3.1.2 & 3.1.3 were the easiest to jailbreak and carrier unlock so that explains why there are so many iPhones using those versions. Plus that graphic was designed not long after the iPhone 4 was released.

It does, but the keyboard is laggy for response.

A couple keyboards you might want to try out to see if they are laggy on the EVo Shift Josh,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=inputmethod.latin.ported&feature=search_result ICS keyboard.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942743 WP7 styled keyboard

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kpt.adaptxt.beta Adaptxt Keyboard

Otherwise, there should be a couple already installed. The traditional Android keyboard and the HTC one and possibly more depending on what the ROM you are running has.

Oh, to clarify what I saw on the iPhone Fever about iOS fragmentation, iOS 3.1.2 & 3.1.3 were the maximum for the original iPhone and for the 3G & 3Gs iOS 3.1.2 & 3.1.3 were the easiest to jailbreak and carrier unlock so that explains why there are so many iPhones using those versions. Plus that graphic was designed not long after the iPhone 4 was released.

So, I admit this, the wife has a iPod. She wanted it to integrate with the Sync system in the truck... After many painstaking hours of putting all the music she wanted on there originally and then weeding out the stuff she decided she didn't want after all (this is all MP3s that I ripped from my own CD collection and hers) very few that were bought off iTunes. Now, she tells me she wants more songs on there from new CDs that we bought. I plug it in and am prompted to update the firmware on the iPod. It will completely wipe all songs off the iPod and I will have to spend all those hours putting the songs back on there because Apple decided that they want to encode everything on the iPod. Yes, I know I can jailbreak it, but I don't feel like learning how to jailbreak because this is the only piece of Apple technology I will ever own. I also know that there is software that will pull the songs off of the iPod but the free ones lose the embedded info and the pay ones are not free.

Long story short. My wife's iPod is just another fragmented device on an old software version because Apple wants me to buy everything off iTunes. I will never update the firmware.

That is part of their problem. They force you to delete everything on the device, not just update the software. They were a match made in heaven with the evil empire of AT&T.

• Like 1

A couple keyboards you might want to try out to see if they are laggy on the EVo Shift Josh,

https://play.google....e=search_result ICS keyboard.

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=942743 WP7 styled keyboard

https://play.google....pt.adaptxt.beta Adaptxt Keyboard

Otherwise, there should be a couple already installed. The traditional Android keyboard and the HTC one and possibly more depending on what the ROM you are running has.

Thanks. I am trying the ICS keyboard. Scary how buying something on the Google Play Store on the web, free or premium, automatically starts downloading on my phone without me giving permission on device first.

So, I admit this, the wife has a iPod. She wanted it to integrate with the Sync system in the truck... After many painstaking hours of putting all the music she wanted on there originally and then weeding out the stuff she decided she didn't want after all (this is all MP3s that I ripped from my own CD collection and hers) very few that were bought off iTunes. Now, she tells me she wants more songs on there from new CDs that we bought. I plug it in and am prompted to update the firmware on the iPod. It will completely wipe all songs off the iPod and I will have to spend all those hours putting the songs back on there because Apple decided that they want to encode everything on the iPod. Yes, I know I can jailbreak it, but I don't feel like learning how to jailbreak because this is the only piece of Apple technology I will ever own. I also know that there is software that will pull the songs off of the iPod but the free ones lose the embedded info and the pay ones are not free.

Long story short. My wife's iPod is just another fragmented device on an old software version because Apple wants me to buy everything off iTunes. I will never update the firmware.

That is part of their problem. They force you to delete everything on the device, not just update the software. They were a match made in heaven with the evil empire of AT&T.

On the iTunes window there is a checkbox labeled: 'Convert Higher Bit Rate songs to...' If that is checked it will mess the songs up. I had problems on my 3Gs as a result. Plus if you changed computers since you first set up the iPod could cause more trouble for you.

On the iTunes window there is a checkbox labeled: 'Convert Higher Bit Rate songs to...' If that is checked it will mess the songs up. I had problems on my 3Gs as a result. Plus if you changed computers since you first set up the iPod could cause more trouble for you.

I'd rather pull the SD or copy and paste in an Android device

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don't think I have ever seen two people say unkind words about iPhones in the same thread in my life. Especially without someone jumping in the middle and gushing all over how they love the iPhone and Apple and would turn into an apple so Steve Jobs' ghost could take a bite out of them and they would be the mascot for Apple....

It really tires me out. There are fanatic Android users, yes, but most Android users openly admit the faults/shortcomings of the OS or their device. iFans, however, 99% of them admit nothing and as far as any shortcoming is concerned, if it isn't on iPhone, it's not important.

And I apologize to any iFans here, but I call it as I see it. We may have the entire 1% of iFans that admit when something is not perfect.

There are too many scary big words in this thread for an iPhone fan to chirp in. Also, we have to remember that it's not iOS vs Android. It's about the experience and even with iOS 5 iOS feels like a 3 year old experience. Android depends highly on your version. I really wish people would be more open to operating systems. If HP hadn't killed WebOS it would have been great. It is seriously one of the smoothest OS's I've ever used and it reached a whopping, what version 2? Also, we can't count out Windows Phone 7 just yet. It's growing like crazy and I haven't met the person yet that says, man I wish I hadn't switched to WP7.

And where are my flip phones! Why can't I have a nice sleek modern flip phone. Japan and DoCoMo make them and they look sweet.

f04d_black.jpgsh09c_red.jpg

Even Android flip phones if you're are stuck to the OS and want a pile of Sexy Girl XXX wallpaper apps in the Play Store. If we don't have the app stores, I'm looking at things like HTML5 to make these locked platform apps of the now obsolete.

FcLLFl.jpg

Sorry for the rant guys, and the picture gallery. I just think American carriers are so stuck on the candy bar, you can never drop this phone, design.

Edited by Contreramanjaro
  • Like 2

uh oh...Android back on the march....

http://www.bgr.com/2012/04/04/android-and-ios-account-for-over-80-of-the-u-s-smartphone-market/

at 50.1% market share.....I think its safe to say Google isn't going to mess with it too much....unless they will want to try to take advantage of it and force a different/new experience down that marketshare they currently own....

• Like 1

Thanks. I am trying the ICS keyboard. Scary how buying something on the Google Play Store on the web' date=' free or premium, automatically starts downloading on my phone without me giving permission on device first.[/quote']

Ah, but you log in online. So if you say you want it, no need to ask you twice.

Ah, but you log in online. So if you say you want it, no need to ask you twice.

Understandable.

https://play.google....e=search_result ICS keyboard.

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=942743 WP7 styled keyboard

https://play.google....pt.adaptxt.beta Adaptxt Keyboard

For some reason the ICS keyboard isn't working. When I get more time, I will try the WP7 Style one, and if that doesn't work, then I will try the other.

EDIT: Hey, it's my 1000th Post since joining the Forums! B)

• Like 3

For some reason the ICS keyboard isn't working. When I get more time, I will try the WP7 Style one, and if that doesn't work, then I will try the other.

Another option is the beta of swiftkey. It is available free at their website http://vip.swiftkey.net/index.php?/topic/3375-swiftkey-3-beta-download-phone/

You have to sign up for the forums (they call it swiftkey VIP) to get to it but I think reg price on swiftkey is like $5 or something.

Another option is the beta of swiftkey. It is available free at their website http://vip.swiftkey....download-phone/

You have to sign up for the forums (they call it swiftkey VIP) to get to it but I think reg price on swiftkey is like $5 or something.

I have used swiftkey before. I never got used to sliding my finger around, lol. Guess I can always try again.

I have used swiftkey before. I never got used to sliding my finger around, lol. Guess I can always try again.

I think you are thinking of swype. Swiftkey is a regular keyboard that predicts words that you normally use together.

I think you are thinking of swype. Swiftkey is a regular keyboard that predicts words that you normally use together.

Oh. I have Swiftkey X I got free from the Amazon App Store. I should re-install it. I guess I am still tired today. :(

• 1 month later...

Expansion on this, My friend, every time he would try to update his iPhone on his PC it would go to the 'plug into iTunes' screen and not work unless he plugged it into my MacBook or my friend's PC. For this reason, he never really updates anymore. Just not worth it.

This just happened to my friend and his brother. I had to do a full scan of his computer and it was cause by a virus

This just happened to my friend and his brother. I had to do a full scan of his computer and it was cause by a virus

I had to factory reset two ipod touch's to get them to update. I can't tell you how much I hate itunes. After that nonsense I told the kids I am not touching apples garbage again, they are on their own.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I had to factory reset two ipod touch's to get them to update. I can't tell you how much I hate itunes. After that nonsense I told the kids I am not touching apples garbage again, they are on their own.

I thought that was how it worked... LOL I always end up having to reset the wife's ipod to update it.

I thought that was how it worked... LOL I always end up having to reset the wife's ipod to update it.

Wow, you guys have really had a hard time restoring iPods. The only reason I have to do anything different with my iPhone is I have a special baseband on it that a normal update would crash on. But at least it retains it's carrier unlock capabilities. Plus it keeps it's value higher despite 2 newer generations of iPhone available.

I have personally never had a virus either on my PC's or my Macs. I also have had zero problems with iTunes. I try to keep things simple and try not to customize or manually change anything. There was a time when I wanted the computer set up just so with 3 different partitions and this and that. Meanwhile the programs had their own assumptions on where they wanted to be and where their data should go. So I have given up and let them have their way. Both the programs and I are much happier with the default setup.