Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Finally I'll be the first to admit that the anecdotal nature of the conclusion could be because my area had a crap CDMA but great LTE network. Doesn't mean that is a national conclusion. 

I was comparing your Verizon CDMA experience (which I've heard similar complaints from multiple parties) to the Sprint CDMA experience. Which certainly isn't perfect, but has, as far as I can tell, been considered to be a better experience than VZ CDMA. Perhaps your VoLTE experience is highlighted by the terrible state of the CDMA network in your area. Have you ever experienced HD Voice on Sprint? I expect that would change your opinion some.

I was comparing your Verizon CDMA experience (which I've heard similar complaints from multiple parties) to the Sprint CDMA experience. Which certainly isn't perfect, but has, as far as I can tell, been considered to be a better experience than VZ CDMA. Perhaps your VoLTE experience is highlighted by the terrible state of the CDMA network in your area. Have you ever experienced HD Voice on Sprint? I expect that would change your opinion some.

When using my cousin's line in Cincinnati a while back I'd rate the call quality between Verizon CDMA and Verizon LTE. It's good but I wouldn't say it is as high quality as Verizon LTE to Verizon LTE with HD voice enabled on both devices. 

• Like 1

In my area I can drive around while talking on a vzw volte iPhone and not drop a call. With standard sprint voice service it would drop. Using the same tower locations. Sure different technology but that's sprints short comings.

Back on topic I just wish I didn't pay so friggen much for vzw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd answer accurately if I had a magic 8 ball that allowed me to decipher the Verizon CDMA network, but Verizon capital spend was all in on LTE for a long time. Why deploy CDMA2000 on new sites when CDMA2000 was abandoned by Qualcomm leaving it with one foot in the grave?

No Magic 8 Ball necessary.  Instead of moving the goalposts to an irrelevant question about CDMA2000 future viability, why not answer my questions honestly?

No.  No.  No.  And no.

Those are the factual answers.

So, your comparison actually is between a modernized, prioritized LTE network and a decrepit, weakened CDMA2000 network.  VoLTE is only tangential to the situation.

AJ

• Like 1

No Magic 8 Ball necessary.  Instead of moving the goalposts to an irrelevant question about CDMA2000 future viability, why not answer my questions honestly?

No.  No.  No.  And no.

Those are the factual answers.

So, your comparison actually is between a modernized, prioritized LTE network and a decrepit, weakened CDMA2000 network.  VoLTE is only tangential to the situation.

AJ

Then lets examine the reasons why Verizon has a weakened decrepit CDMA network and a prioritized LTE/VoLTE network. 

When the reasons are looked at, I must say the situation of 3GPP2 not innovating anymore and Qualcomm ending CDMA development plays a part in Verizon's logic. I would hardly say that qualifies as tangental. If anything, I would disagree and say that it is quite interconnected. Even if all the answers to the questions are no, that doesn't have an effect on the reasoning behind a move. It's a case of Verizon skating to where the puck is going. 

Verizon didn't need to modernize their CDMA2000 network. They didn't need to deploy it on all sites. They didn't need to maintain capacity on CDMA2000, if anything they needed to decrease that capacity to increase capacity for LTE. I'd also say that Verizon will manage the transition of users from VoLTE quite well, they aren't having to rush in like, say, a certain Magenta carrier has. 

Every carrier has a different set of technical rationales based on their spectrum. Sprint hasn't got a choice but to stick with CDMA2000 for the conceivable future. Most have explained why, but I concur with the reasons they have cited. Sprint has to densify a lot more.

• Like 2

Then lets examine the reasons why Verizon has a weakened decrepit CDMA network and a prioritized LTE/VoLTE network.

No.

You really are throwing out the red herrings and moving the goalposts tonight.  Quit changing the topic, which is/was your apples to oranges comparison between VoLTE and CDMA1X.  If you want to move on to other discussion, such as VZW rationale for investing in LTE and neglecting CDMA2000, then admit that your comparison inherently was flawed.  After that, we can move on.

AJ

No.

You really are throwing out the red herrings and moving the goalposts tonight. Quit changing the topic, which is/was your apples to oranges comparison between VoLTE and CDMA1X. If you want to move on to other discussion, such as VZW rationale for investing in LTE and neglecting CDMA2000, then admit that your comparison inherently was flawed. After that, we can move on.

AJ

Except I admitted that these were issues from the very beginning before you even asked any questions. No red herrings have been tossed out, and no goalposts have been moved. I indeed implied the answer to all the questions was no when I made the comparison. As a matter of fact I also explicitly stated my opinions were anecdotal in nature.

My comparsion was very much about user experience. That is something that gets left out of the discussion in technology far too much. If the end conclusion is that I can never compare my voice experience on CDMA to my experience on VoLTE in relation to Verizon, then the gap is far too great to bridge and we should just agree to disagree.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Except I admitted that these were issues from the very beginning before you even asked any questions. No red herrings have been tossed out, and no goalposts have been moved. I indeed implied the answer to all the questions was no when I made the comparison. As a matter of fact I also explicitly stated my opinions were anecdotal in nature.

My comparsion was very much about user experience. That is something that gets left out of the discussion in technology far too much. If the end conclusion is that I can never compare my voice experience on CDMA to my experience on VoLTE in relation to Verizon, then the gap is far too great to bridge and we should just agree to disagree.

The comparison was CDMA vs VoLTE. I countered that the quality of Sprint's CDMA service surpassed that of Verizon's, thus one of the reasons that we should embrace VoLTE that you put forth (note that I am not suggesting abandoning VoLTE or anything like that) was not a reason that would push Sprint to move forward quickly with it... ie. reliability and quality. 

• Like 1

In my area I can drive around while talking on a vzw volte iPhone and not drop a call. With standard sprint voice service it would drop. Using the same tower locations. Sure different technology but that's sprints short comings.

Back on topic I just wish I didn't pay so friggen much for vzw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have the opposite problem in my town. I drive around and get dropped on my VZW VoLTE phone for work all the time. At seams where signal gets weak between sites. Whereas VZW and Sprint CDMA hands off fine at same location. VZW and Sprint on the same sites.

In your area, VZW has superior coverage. That's why their VoLTE is better than Sprint CDMA. In my county, Sprint and VZW are almost always colocated.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 4

Here's a question that I'd like to ask all of you ripping Windows 10 as an operating system.  How many of you have actually used Windows 10?

My experience at work has been way better on Windows 10.  One day, I did a comparison at my workplace of one of the new touchscreen Windows 10 PCs that we just got to one of our legacy 10 year old Windows XP PCs that has not been rebooted this year and has a flickering CRT monitor.  The user experience on Windows 10 is so much better.  Windows 10 is the superior operating system.  Before my comparison, I never would've believed it.  Now, I'd have to say it's the truth.

Never mind that my comparison is anecdotally based and logically flawed.  Let's change to a related subject.  Let's examine the reasons why my workplace has not bothered to update and maintain its Windows XP PCs when Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP.  So, just overlook the apples to oranges comparison.  My workplace is skating where the puck is going.  That's what matters.  And when your workplace is ready to switch, Windows 10 will work well for your user experience, too.

Fraydog

• Like 1

The comparison was CDMA vs VoLTE. I countered that the quality of Sprint's CDMA service surpassed that of Verizon's, thus one of the reasons that we should embrace VoLTE that you put forth (note that I am not suggesting abandoning VoLTE or anything like that) was not a reason that would push Sprint to move forward quickly with it... ie. reliability and quality.

I agree with this. That is why I limited the comparison to Verizon.

Oh and because computer maintenance is like mobile networks.

VZW has not maintained its CDMA2000 network.  Instead, VZW has let it rot like a decade old computer.  No level comparison is possible.

But, hey, user experience = scoreboard!

AJ

I don't understand why people still think Tmo and S will merge.  On what grounds do people think S and Tmo will be able to merge.  They weren't able to merge when they both were shitty and struggling (one struggled to be profitable, another was bleeding customers to their competitors).  The opposite now for both companies, but people still talk of merger.  Customers have gained a lot from the block of T and Tmo, and S and Tmo merger.  The industry has never been more competitive and prices are driven down by all carriers while 3 of the 4 carriers are still profitable.  Sprint is on the projection to be profitable as well. 

I'm really curious why people think somehow with the new President, things will go Masa way.  It might make sense for these companies to merge from a technological perspective or financial perspective.  But, I don't hear people talk about how this makes sense for the consumers, which is by far the predominant factor why regulators often block corporate mergers.  Any mergers between the big 4 will not happen if they all will become profitable, EVER!

The only chance S and Tmo will merge is if Comcast or another deep pocket spender would enter the telecom industry to compete, and compete at a competitive level for the regulators to feel comfortable enough for S and Tmo to merge.  Any merger talks now are all heresay. 

The last article from Bloomberg was pure garbage, no credible source except for those "who know what Masa thinks". 

Well, I use to think that Sprint and T-Mobile would merge, but not so much anymore. I think Sprint ought to focus on building out their network, both getting all-band compatible equipment on all of Sprint's sites, along with building new sites. However, and this is based from what I read, people in the industry say Sprint doesn't have the money to do all of this that needs to be done. I'm really not sure if that is the case or not, but I know it certainly would be nice to hear more about progress going on with Sprint.

T-Mobile is lacking in spectrum in many areas, AT&T could use a lot of network improvements in many markets, which fortunately Chicago isn't one of them, as its a great market here for AT&T, yet a very poor market for T-Mobile. AT&T needs T-Mobile in many areas and T-Mobile needs AT&T in many areas.

I know there are a lot of people who really hate the idea of them merging and many who hate the idea of there being less than four carriers. Its understandable. I'm looking at it thinking this could very well happen, but again from my viewpoint, which may or may not happen. We'll see...

No, no, and more no.

Marcelo is the right man for the job, in more ways than a lot will ever know.

I hope you're right about that. I'm not so sure though, because I remember that when Dan Hesse was there, despite the issues during the NV period, at least it got done. From what I've read, he fixed a lot of problems left over from those CEOs before him and had some great ideas for Sprint that unfortunately got rejected by the board.

Time will tell, but one thing lately is the disappointment in the news for quite some time now about Sprint network development. Sprint has such a vast amount of spectrum and amazing potential, but the most going on lately in the news is either about finances, Verizon's former spokesman, or rate plan stuff, with the occasional news story about Masa considering T-Mobile acquisition. I'd really like, as I imagine many here would too, about the network expansion project updates of NGN, etc.

Here's a question that I'd like to ask all of you ripping Windows 10 as an operating system.  How many of you have actually used Windows 10?

My experience at work has been way better on Windows 10.  One day, I did a comparison at my workplace of one of the new touchscreen Windows 10 PCs that we just got to one of our legacy 10 year old Windows XP PCs that has not been rebooted this year and has a flickering CRT monitor.  The user experience on Windows 10 is so much better.  Windows 10 is the superior operating system.  Before my comparison, I never would've believed it.  Now, I'd have to say it's the truth.

Never mind that my comparison is anecdotally based and logically flawed.  Let's change to a related subject.  Let's examine the reasons why my workplace has not bothered to update and maintain its Windows XP PCs when Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP.  So, just overlook the apples to oranges comparison.  My workplace is skating where the puck is going.  That's what matters.  And when your workplace is ready to switch, Windows 10 will work well for your user experience, too.

Fraydog

I'm not so sure on Windows 10 comparisons with Windows XP, since it has been a long time I Iast used Windows XP. However, I prefer Windows 7 much more than Windows 10, mostly because of how the settings are arranged. I hated having to go through two separate areas of settings using it. If Microsoft would streamline that on Windows 10, then I'd reconsider going back to using it.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure on Windows 10 comparisons with Windows XP, since it has been a long time I Iast used Windows XP. However, I prefer Windows 7 much more than Windows 10, mostly because of how the settings are arranged. I hated having to go through two separate areas of settings using it. If Microsoft would streamline that on Windows 10, then I'd reconsider going back to using it.

I feel like you might have missed the whole point of that post.

Sent from my LG G5

• Like 9

Do you guys think SoftBank or Sprint should make a move on Dish Network? I know they currently don't have a network built out but they do have spectrum plus it will give Sprint an additional way to add customers.

I feel it's more likely to get approved by the FCC than a T-Mobile merger

• Like 2

I feel like you might have missed the whole point of that post.

Sent from my LG G5

I know AJ was making a comment with Fraydog, but I thought I'd write my opinion in about Windows 10 anyways. It worries me, as I'm going to get a new computer in a few months and I know I'll be stuck with having Windows 10, which its that part I'm not looking forward to. Prior to trying Windows 10 in the Spring, I wasn't really concerned about operating systems. Now though, I really don't want to go back to using Windows 10, unless it gets streamlined a bit.

Do you guys think SoftBank or Sprint should make a move on Dish Network? I know they currently don't have a network built out but they do have spectrum plus it will give Sprint an additional way to add customers.

I feel it's more likely to get approved by the FCC than a T-Mobile merger

Hmm... If it means more revenue for Sprint in the long run, maybe, but how a purchase would affect Sprint's finances in the short term when they really need to spend money on the network with NGN, I don't know.

I thought Dish was going to go after T-Mobile at one point, but then they lost a bunch of the spectrum they auctioned for and nowadays I rarely hear Dish get mentioned with wireless. Whatever spectrum Dish has currently I think might get sold to Verizon and possibly Verizon may change its mind about buying Dish now that it has Aol and Yahoo. Verizon would have a great content source between them and Dish, and it would provide Verizon with extra spectrum they need, according to what I read recently of Verizon having the lowest spectrum per subscriber.

Plus, it would be fitting between Verizon together with Dish competing against AT&T together with DirecTv.

I know AJ was making a comment with Fraydog, but I thought I'd write my opinion in about Windows 10 anyways. It worries me, as I'm going to get a new computer in a few months and I know I'll be stuck with having Windows 10, which its that part I'm not looking forward to. Prior to trying Windows 10 in the Spring, I wasn't really concerned about operating systems. Now though, I really don't want to go back to using Windows 10, unless it gets streamlined a bit.

Basically his point is you have familiarity along with new and you shouldn't be afraid trying something new. I myself have been on Win 10 since beta release and I haven't looked back, not one bit. It loves my 32gb of ram and ssd's and 3year old CPU and hardware. Also have a Lenovo 2 in 1 to, both on build 14905 for which I'm on the fast ring of win insiders and have no problems but 1 in the last 2 years on it. And my Microsoft os use dates back to dos 3.0

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Hmm... If it means more revenue for Sprint in the long run, maybe, but how a purchase would affect Sprint's finances in the short term when they really need to spend money on the network with NGN, I don't know.

I thought Dish was going to go after T-Mobile at one point, but then they lost a bunch of the spectrum they auctioned for and nowadays I rarely hear Dish get mentioned with wireless. Whatever spectrum Dish has currently I think might get sold to Verizon and possibly Verizon may change its mind about buying Dish now that it has Aol and Yahoo. Verizon would have a great content source between them and Dish, and it would provide Verizon with extra spectrum they need, according to what I read recently of Verizon having the lowest spectrum per subscriber.

Plus, it would be fitting between Verizon together with Dish competing against AT&T together with DirecTv.

Yeah I haven't from Dish in awhile. I honestly forgot about them until now lol.

Isn't their 700mhz spectrum TD LTE compatible?

http://www.dailywireless.org/2011/08/25/dish-networks-700-mhz-spectrum-how-goes-it/

• Like 1

I hope you're right about that. I'm not so sure though, because I remember that when Dan Hesse was there, despite the issues during the NV period, at least it got done. From what I've read, he fixed a lot of problems left over from those CEOs before him and had some great ideas for Sprint that unfortunately got rejected by the board.

Time will tell, but one thing lately is the disappointment in the news for quite some time now about Sprint network development. Sprint has such a vast amount of spectrum and amazing potential, but the most going on lately in the news is either about finances, Verizon's former spokesman, or rate plan stuff, with the occasional news story about Masa considering T-Mobile acquisition. I'd really like, as I imagine many here would too, about the network expansion project updates of NGN, etc.

Sprint has repeatedly said that NGN and other projects will continue to get worked on without press releases every 30 seconds.

30 new small cells in NYC without a press release is excellent work.

• Like 5

I hate doing something and a phone call comes and interrupts up my whole data session. I messed up a bill because it cut off when it said don't reset internet. I have also been on support with people and couldn't look up info because of that too. I'm sure plenty would be excited about volte and I'm sure plenty won't care.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Anyone who has used Sprint ever knows the limitations in voice and data. 17 years now as a customer and I've never found the need to use voice and data at the same time.

That's my personal experience, but is still valid.