Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

According to the subreddit, the Note 7 currently lacks wifi calling because they're waiting for next month to launch the new IMS APN, which could mean we're getting closer to an official VoLTE launch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/4yr9qz/note_7_wifi_calling/?st=IS3ZH6WW&sh=97e15ef1

Closer? I guess it's all relative. 

We are getting closer to 2018-2019 after all. 

• Like 5

According to the subreddit, the Note 7 currently lacks wifi calling because they're waiting for next month to launch the new IMS APN, which could mean we're getting closer to an official VoLTE launch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/4yr9qz/note_7_wifi_calling/?st=IS3ZH6WW&sh=97e15ef1

Your saying the note 7 will possibly be one of sprints first lte devices?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Your saying the note 7 will possibly be one of sprints first lte devices?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

No but the fact that Sprint will have an IMS core means they will be ready to power the VoLTE system when they're ready to flick the switch.

No but the fact that Sprint will have an IMS core means they will be ready to power the VoLTE system when they're ready to flick the switch.

Wow we are really getting closer now. So Sprint never did have a IMS before?

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

I would very much like to see an IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) fix.  It is a required step on the way to VOLTE for Sprint phones.

iPhones have had a SMS problem since Sprint WiFi calling came out where they cannot send or receive SMS messages while on a WiFi network without macro network coverage.  They can send/receive iMessages while on WiFi and will try to switch to the macro network to send/receive SMS/MMS messages.  This means the problem does not impact many users while on WiFi calling but it is a deal breaker for VOLTE and may be the primary reason why Sprint is the only one of the top 4 that does not offer VOLTE.  This does not appear to impact most Android phones but possibly this new Note 7 is impacted by it.

You can see the IMS problem on iPhones in Settings - General - About.  Click the Carrier line a few times until you get to get to IMS status and you will see that only voice is enabled on the Sprint network.  IMS must be enabled for voice and SMS to properly use VOLTE in the future.

Closer? I guess it's all relative.

We are getting closer to 2018-2019 after all.

Doesn't this also open the door to wifi calling to macro network handoff and back?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Doesn't this also open the door to wifi calling to macro network handoff and back?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

I don't believe wifi to macro is possible without VoLTE (but there are rumors of a sprint VoLTE launch in mid september). Kind of funny how wifi to LTE handoff is possible and LTE to CDMA handoff is possible (with SIB13 on the network) but wifi to CDMA handoff is not possible (at least as far as I know).

I don't believe wifi to macro is possible without VoLTE (but there are rumors of a sprint VoLTE launch in mid september). Kind of funny how wifi to LTE handoff is possible and LTE to CDMA handoff is possible (with SIB13 on the network) but wifi to CDMA handoff is not possible (at least as far as I know).

Source of this launch date?

I thought VoLTE handoff to cdma is problematic and that's why Verizon never introduced it, and the same reason why Sprint is waiting to densify before I'm poo implementing VoLTE.

• Like 1

Sprint will not "launch" volte til 2018-2019. Whatever rumors you heard is wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Sad truth, but maybe they could start a very long opt-in beta in September. One could hope...

• Like 1

Dang....why so long

Sprint is not even close to being ready to launch VoLTE nationwide.  The Sprint LTE network still needs lots and lots of work before even considering VoLTE.  Once Sprint has a tens of thousands of small cells up and running as well as upgrading as many macro sites with all 3 LTE bands can they start to think about VoLTE.

• Like 5

Sprint is not even close to being ready to launch VoLTE nationwide.  The Sprint LTE network still needs lots and lots of work before even considering VoLTE.  Once Sprint has a tens of thousands of small cells up and running as well as upgrading as many macro sites with all 3 LTE bands can they start to think about VoLTE.

This.

Basically, Sprint has to deploy enough small cells to cover any LTE coverage gaps to match 3G/1X coverage. There's no fallback with VoLTE and CDMA, so if LTE drops, your call would drop. At a time when their calling reliability is at an all time high with 1X Advanced, they would not want to hurt those numbers. Even with 800MHz LTE in my area, it's still no match for CDMA. Sure it can match/beat EVDO, but not CDMA.

If Sprint does release VoLTE early, I'm sure it'll be opt in. Then people could choose between less reliable VoLTE (with simultaneous voice/data) or more reliable CDMA HD calling.

• Like 4

Ok so I've confirmed that there is some form of SRVCC running on Sprint's network as of today. Today, as I left a friends house, a call I was on handed off from a wifi call to the macro network without dropping. It didn't occur to me at the time but I messed with it a bit later and found that the call handed off successfully from wifi to the macro network about 90% of the time. Also btw I have an iPhone 6S. I took a video of this happening with my ipad although I am not entirely sure how I should upload it. If anyone has any suggestions or comments I'm all ears.

• Like 5