Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

2. Testing more heavily slants toward road testing which is always going to favor carriers with larger and more deployed low band networks.

This is the big one.  You would think with T-Mobile boasting about covering 311 million(?) people that road testing should be an advantage vs Sprint.  

Still lot gmos out there killing coverage for lte. Aka central pa.i call bs on 311 mill pop on tmobile.

Their coverage talk has always been BS. 

Sprint at least has 3G once you get out of the city. My experience is in the Everglades in South Florida and some neck of the woods in northern WI. 

• Like 3

There will be no conflicting tech. It will all be LTE and VOLTE. CDMA will be phased out and so will WCDMA. They will have to shed some of their spectrum holdings or not (depending on 5G allocations and or Dish spectrum being sold to Verizon and/or AT&T). But the avoided capex will be tremendous, same with opex. They won't have to get all new panels and cabinets, they will just be moved/merged to either Sprint's or T-Mobile's sites.

As everyone has said, VoLTE is a touchy fragile calling tech. T-Mobile even has issues with it, but they have UMTS to back it up. Plus, there are still costs associated with decommissioning networks, and Sprint just can't shut down CDMA overnight. It's far too important right now.

They would need new cabinets and hardware to support both of the networks used LTE bands. You just can't remove a T-Mobile site and expect all T-Mobile phones to just use band 25 and 26. You still need band 4 and 12 at the local site, which Sprint equipment doesn't support. The costs associated with the merger would be high.

• Like 2

As everyone has said, VoLTE is a touchy fragile calling tech. T-Mobile even has issues with it, but they have UMTS to back it up. Plus, there are still costs associated with decommissioning networks, and Sprint just can't shut down CDMA overnight. It's far too important right now.

They would need new cabinets and hardware to support both of the networks used LTE bands. You just can't remove a T-Mobile site and expect all T-Mobile phones to just use band 25 and 26. You still need band 4 and 12 at the local site, which Sprint equipment doesn't support. The costs associated with the merger would be high.

I have long speculated the true motive of a Sprint/T-Mobile merger would be the decommissioning of the Sprint CDMA network. I also think T-Mobile's equipment could add band 26 and band 25 support. I'm betting T-Mobile's base station equipment already supports LTE in those bands. That leaves band 41 as the lone add for capability. In T-Mobile's the, the Nokia B41 equipment could easily be added to the Ericsson areas they have. Here in Nokia territory it would simply be adding another Flexi and antenna set to existing installs.

That would not be a difficult integration at all. As a matter of fact Sprint would be easier for T-Mobile to integrate than MetroPCS was. Sprint already out covers Sprint in rural but adding B26 would improve capacity greatly for rural.

Only areas that would be hard are areas where Sprint is that T-Mobile is not. That is not a lot of territory. In those cases Nokia would just replace existing equipment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aren't most phones capable of all bands of lte?

I agree the cost won't be cheap but first migrate calling centers and billing and possibly plans worry about the tower situation a little later. Then you worry about colocating and decommissioning.

For now you give each one the ability to roam on the other when and where possible.

There is a cost and it will take work however many new sites for each one won't be needed as the other may have a tower already. Think of the savings because now you might only need half the small cells vs the amount of each one seperate.

There are pros and cons and cost. But there is also savings and $$$$ to be made from combining.. Time will tell on this one whether they do or don't.

I like the idea of a merger but I like the price wars going on now.

HESSE and Son wanted to do that but Marcelo scrapped those plans. Sprint will not have 500k+ phone adds quarters until they fix their data and speed performances nationwide.

Again, another reason why I think if Dan Hesse were still in charge of Sprint, things would be much better for Sprint right now, and there wouldn't have been this months old focus on "50% off" blowing away Sprint's earnings. Instead, Dan Hesse likely would have revised "Framily" a bit to bring it into a more financially sound, yet still attractive offer to actually bring in customers with the network improvements he had wanted to make with the 2.5ghz band.

I'm still waiting to hear what Masa and Marcelo are going to do now since Nikesh Arora is out of the picture. I thought that was finally going to bring back focus on Sprint's developments, yet there still hardly is any news about Sprint's progress. As much I hate to say this, but I really wouldn't mind some other party with intent on improving Sprint taking over from Softbank at this point.

Besides, I know Softbank really wants T-Mobile and how it will help them, and perhaps Masa is trying to get sprint into a desperate situation where the government might look more accepting of such a merger, but it is my opinion now that it may be too late. T-Mobile is in a much better position now than it was back when the talks happened before, and if a company that does have a chance to acquire T-Mobile, its got to be a company with a lot of money to spare on it, such as AT&T.

Actually I don't believe AT&T has the capacity to buy TMO currently (regulation issues aside)

Well at least not with out straining their resources!

SoftBank is Sprints best partner currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there will ever be a mass effort to fully upgrade these GMO sites until the next era of sprint leadership and ownership. Sites will be done here and there, but with more questions than answers about Sprint's evolution to LTE and decommissioning cdma, not to mention M&A.... I gave up on the GMO dream. I also gave up on getting b41 broadly deployed in my state. There's no point in hoping for something that doesn't fit the best use of sprint's money in the short term

You don't remove it. You keep the cabinets and move the RRH's and antennas to Sprint's or T-Mobile's rack. Both have plenty of space on them. Eventually you might need new cards.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

You don't remove it. You keep the cabinets and move the RRH's and antennas to Sprint's or T-Mobile's rack. Both have plenty of space on them.

Some markets do... some don't. Particularly on the T-Mobile side. They can be pretty packed depending on the vendor. 

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here AJ. VoLTE answers a huge problem other than simultaneous voice and data for Sprint, and that's the use of spectrum. Sure Sprint could just run 1x voice carriers forever on PCS, but it's not efficient. More work today is data intensive, as you know, and LTE makes the most efficient use of spectrum for both voice and data. While I agree that ISPs should be a dumb pipe, VoLTE should be present on all networks once their LTE networks are dense enough. Phone numbers have a purpose, and it's impossible for society to embrace one service as their primary standard for VoIP to replace the traditional dial the number system. I understand your argument regarding its fragile air link, but this is something Verizon has been working hard to solve by throwing as many towers and small cells into the fray as possible without breaking their bank and making subscribers happy.

You are not disagreeing with me.  You are arbitrarily changing the scope from VoLTE and VoIP OTT to CDMA1X, though I said nothing about running CDMA1X voice carriers forever.

Retirement of CDMA2000 is still several years away.  And some remaining spectrum -- namely, slivers of Sprint's PCS A/B block 15 MHz FDD and SMR X block 7 MHz FDD allocations -- never will be suitable for LTE.  Continuing to run CDMA1X in those guard bands would cause little harm.  But that is a different discussion.

Regardless, VoLTE or VoIP OTT would serve the same function of moving voice traffic over to LTE, thereby lessening the load on CDMA1X.

AJ

Actually I don't believe AT&T has the capacity to buy TMO currently (regulation issues aside)

Well at least not with out straining their resources!

SoftBank is Sprints best partner currently

There's no doubt T-Mobile would be great for Sprint, so long as John Legere isn't in charge of it, of course.

However, my thinking is that after this election cycle, Masa may very well try again to acquire T-Mobile. I think it might have a better chance at passing regulatory approval then, but the price may be too much for Masa when it comes to negotiations. He might feel a better chance at selling Sprint, especially if what I suspect might happen does

That is, AT&T sees an opportunity to jump in again, given a more favorable climate, especially if the FCC shows more favor to Softbank at this point than in the past. AT&T may feel they have a better chance themselves, and so they go after T-Mobile and possibly win this time around. I'm not sure and I'm not saying it definitely is going to happen this way, but it is what I believe may be.

The other thing I think may happen is after this merger, if it were to happen, I think Sprint could be either sold to another company or have its assets sold. If the latter happens, and the assets get sold, I can see it being divided between AT&T, Verizon, and possibly Dish or Comcast, if they get involved in wireless. I see this going to three players, for sure, but I don't discount the possibility of it going down to two, while possibly WiSPS popup around the country to take advantage of local service again, if the big three (or two) become too greedy.

Some markets do... some don't. Particularly on the T-Mobile side. They can be pretty packed depending on the vendor. 

I have not seen a crowded Sprint rack ever. Now AT&T racks on the other hand...

• Like 3

There's no doubt T-Mobile would be great for Sprint, so long as John Legere isn't in charge of it, of course.

However, my thinking is that after this election cycle, Masa may very well try again to acquire T-Mobile. I think it might have a better chance at passing regulatory approval then, but the price may be too much for Masa when it comes to negotiations. He might feel a better chance at selling Sprint, especially if what I suspect might happen does

That is, AT&T sees an opportunity to jump in again, given a more favorable climate, especially if the FCC shows more favor to Softbank at this point than in the past. AT&T may feel they have a better chance themselves, and so they go after T-Mobile and possibly win this time around. I'm not sure and I'm not saying it definitely is going to happen this way, but it is what I believe may be.

The other thing I think may happen is after this merger, if it were to happen, I think Sprint could be either sold to another company or have its assets sold. If the latter happens, and the assets get sold, I can see it being divided between AT&T, Verizon, and possibly Dish or Comcast, if they get involved in wireless. I see this going to three players, for sure, but I don't discount the possibility of it going down to two, while possibly WiSPS popup around the country to take advantage of local service again, if the big three (or two) become too greedy.

I don't understand why people still think Tmo and S will merge.  On what grounds do people think S and Tmo will be able to merge.  They weren't able to merge when they both were shitty and struggling (one struggled to be profitable, another was bleeding customers to their competitors).  The opposite now for both companies, but people still talk of merger.  Customers have gained a lot from the block of T and Tmo, and S and Tmo merger.  The industry has never been more competitive and prices are driven down by all carriers while 3 of the 4 carriers are still profitable.  Sprint is on the projection to be profitable as well. 

I'm really curious why people think somehow with the new President, things will go Masa way.  It might make sense for these companies to merge from a technological perspective or financial perspective.  But, I don't hear people talk about how this makes sense for the consumers, which is by far the predominant factor why regulators often block corporate mergers.  Any mergers between the big 4 will not happen if they all will become profitable, EVER!

The only chance S and Tmo will merge is if Comcast or another deep pocket spender would enter the telecom industry to compete, and compete at a competitive level for the regulators to feel comfortable enough for S and Tmo to merge.  Any merger talks now are all heresay. 

The last article from Bloomberg was pure garbage, no credible source except for those "who know what Masa thinks". 

Edited by Hmight
  • Like 4

I have not seen a crowded Sprint rack ever. Now AT&T racks on the other hand...

Generally 2 to 3 antennas per sector for Sprint. B41 sites have at least two (NV + 8T8R), and many in Ericsson markets and to a lesser degree in Samsung markets have 2 dual-mode (NV) antennas per sector for 4x2 B25. Some sites still have 1 antenna per sector. That said, I have seen sites that still have legacy antennas (2) along with B41 (1) and 4x2 B25 (2) antennas. Only a couple of those.

• Like 1

Here's a question that I'd like to ask you all who are still ripping VoLTE as a technology. How many of you have actually used VoLTE? 

My experience on Verizon voice wise has been way better on VoLTE. Before I had a VoLTE device I would have never believed this. Now, I'd have to say it is the truth. 

On CDMA here I had:

• Dropped calls
  • Crappy voice quality
  • No simultaneous voice and data

Contrast with LTE that 

• Almost always holds calls
  • HD Voice quality
  • Simultaneous voice and data

If anything I'd say VoLTE is keeping me much stickier on Verizon than I thought I would be. 

• Like 3

Here's a question that I'd like to ask you all who are still ripping VoLTE as a technology. How many of you have actually used VoLTE? 

I haven't used VoLTE, however I would like to point out that Sprint has had better service than that on CDMA. I rarely (if ever?) see blocked or dropped calls, and the voice quality has always been good. The only PRO for VoLTE on Sprint would be the simultaneous voice and data, which I haven't felt like I am missing. I know there are some that would use it, but for me that doesn't add any value. 

• Like 6

My experience on Verizon voice wise has been way better on VoLTE. Before I had a VoLTE device I would have never believed this. Now, I'd have to say it is the truth.

On CDMA here I had:

• Dropped calls
  • Crappy voice quality
Contrast with LTE that
  • HD Voice quality

If anything I'd say VoLTE is keeping me much stickier on Verizon than I thought I would be.

Nationwide 10x10 750 MHz deployment provides greater reliability for Verizon's VoLTE.

Unfortunately for Sprint, they don't have that luxury and they have intentionally missed every opportunity to acquire more low band spectrum and gone all in on BRS/EBS. Great idea for capacity, terrible for indoor reliability. We'll see how this plays out long term. Sprint will need to implement some sort of VoLTE eventually for roaming purposes as roaming partners shut down CDMA.

• Like 3

Nationwide 10x10 750 MHz deployment provides greater reliability for Verizon's VoLTE.

Unfortunately for Sprint, they don't have that luxury and they have intentionally missed every opportunity to acquire more low band spectrum and gone all in on BRS/EBS. Great idea for capacity, terrible for indoor reliability. We'll see how this plays out long term. Sprint will need to implement some sort of VoLTE eventually for roaming purposes as roaming partners shut down CDMA.

I haven't used VoLTE, however I would like to point out that Sprint has had better service than that on CDMA. I rarely (if ever?) see blocked or dropped calls, and the voice quality has always been good. The only PRO for VoLTE on Sprint would be the simultaneous voice and data, which I haven't felt like I am missing. I know there are some that would use it, but for me that doesn't add any value. 

I get that there's still a network gap between Sprint and Verizon. I want to make clear my commentary is on the technology in general with my own anecdotal experience as the guide.

Has VZW modernized its CDMA2000 network?  Has VZW deployed CDMA2000 on all new sites?  Has VZW maintained all capacity in CDMA2000 spectrum bands?  Does VZW have as many voice users on VoLTE as on CDMA 1X?

AJ

• Like 4

Again, another reason why I think if Dan Hesse were still in charge of Sprint, things would be much better for Sprint right now, and there wouldn't have been this months old focus on "50% off" blowing away Sprint's earnings. Instead, Dan Hesse likely would have revised "Framily" a bit to bring it into a more financially sound, yet still attractive offer to actually bring in customers with the network improvements he had wanted to make with the 2.5ghz band.

I'm still waiting to hear what Masa and Marcelo are going to do now since Nikesh Arora is out of the picture. I thought that was finally going to bring back focus on Sprint's developments, yet there still hardly is any news about Sprint's progress. As much I hate to say this, but I really wouldn't mind some other party with intent on improving Sprint taking over from Softbank at this point.

Besides, I know Softbank really wants T-Mobile and how it will help them, and perhaps Masa is trying to get sprint into a desperate situation where the government might look more accepting of such a merger, but it is my opinion now that it may be too late. T-Mobile is in a much better position now than it was back when the talks happened before, and if a company that does have a chance to acquire T-Mobile, its got to be a company with a lot of money to spare on it, such as AT&T.

No, no, and more no.

Marcelo is the right man for the job, in more ways than a lot will ever know.

• Like 6

On CDMA here I had:

• Dropped calls
  • Crappy voice quality

Contrast with LTE that 

• HD Voice quality

I use Skype for Business and Facetime Audio, which are both OTT applications over a data session, and really don't see the value to be honest. 

Out of all the complaints that people have about Sprint, 1x voice coverage is the least of them.

• Like 1

Has VZW modernized its CDMA2000 network?  Has VZW deployed CDMA2000 on all new sites?  Has VZW maintained all capacity in CDMA2000 spectrum bands?  Does VZW have as many voice users on VoLTE as on CDMA 1X?

AJ

I'd answer accurately if I had a magic 8 ball that allowed me to decipher the Verizon CDMA network, but Verizon capital spend was all in on LTE for a long time. Why deploy CDMA2000 on new sites when CDMA2000 was abandoned by Qualcomm leaving it with one foot in the grave? Verizon did a good job managing what is a difficult transition. Of course the CDMA network has suffered in quality a bit but they still have the first spot in measurements like Root and have weathered the Magenta free candy and booze better than anyone else. 

Sprint on the other hand has to stick with CDMA2000 as their network isn't ready. All I'm saying is that VoLTE will work well when Sprint's network is ready. 

Finally I'll be the first to admit that the anecdotal nature of the conclusion could be because my area had a crap CDMA but great LTE network. Doesn't mean that is a national conclusion. 

• Like 2

I use Skype for Business and Facetime Audio, which are both OTT applications over a data session, and really don't see the value to be honest.

Out of all the complaints that people have about Sprint, 1x voice coverage is the least of them.

I hate doing something and a phone call comes and interrupts up my whole data session. I messed up a bill because it cut off when it said don't reset internet. I have also been on support with people and couldn't look up info because of that too. I'm sure plenty would be excited about volte and I'm sure plenty won't care.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3