Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

They'd show the same treatment towards T-Mobile as they have towards Sprint, if looking at this in the ways of realistic fairness. However, in terms of doing the right thing and being ethical, hopefully they wouldn't say T-Mobile is going under, as that isn't nice. However, not doing the same as they've done with Sprint, is a double standard.

I suspect though that this is far from over with these analysts towards Sprint. I'm wondering just what is going too far.

I agree it is far from over. Like SprintNYC said the previous board cause a lot of damage and people have yet to move on from it. People only go based on what they've seen. In Sprints case they have a bad history. For me I'm just going to enjoy my service and let the "analyst" predict whatever it is they predict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't know what to think of these negative articles, but it seem Sprint previous board drowned the company very deep. Bonehead moves after move.

They gave Hesse the greenlight to network vision, but under funded from the start. The company still seriously paying for the previous board mistakes. If Marcelo turn this company completely around, it will be one of the greatest turn around in history.

He's doing a great job so far. Sprint has been net positive in gross adds for the last few quarters and churn has been low. Promotions have been very competitive. As long as he executes NGN then Sprint will be good in the long term.

Sprint's Rootmetrics scores improved drastically without NGN so to add NGN plus the additional band 41 carrier (3x20 CA) i see sprint becoming a major competitor.

• Like 4

He's doing a great job so far. Sprint has been net positive in gross adds for the last few quarters and churn has been low. Promotions have been very competitive. As long as he executes NGN then Sprint will be good in the long term.

Sprint's Rootmetrics scores improved drastically without NGN so to add NGN plus the additional band 41 carrier (3x20 CA) i see sprint becoming a major competitor.

I agree with you, even band 41 carrier aggregation is appearing in small towns something that I didn't expect, but pleased by it.

• Like 1

I definitely do not want to be a hypocrite, so I'll add to this analysts issue that I respect their choice of career position and I for one am a major analyzer of things. If someone would hire me to do that job without requiring me to physically transit to work and is fully accepting/accommodating of my medical needs, I'd accept the job.

However, I wouldn't write using any sort of bias towards any company, even towards T-Mobile since I'd be getting paid. Actually, despite my thinking elsewise some weeks ago that I couldn't be unbias towards T-Mobile since experiencing some phone problems with them, I think I've been more unbiased than I thought. Heck, I now think I'd accept a trial offer as a writer of articles on T4GRU, if Robert offered the position to me.

So with that said, I don't understand how these analysts can be so biased, when I've discovered I can be unbiased despite all. It has been in my nature to be unbias up to a point, which I've also discovered isn't as low as I thought. These analysts certainly could and really should be able to be unbiased all things considered. Even if they had a negative experience in the past with the company.

Unless Sprint sued and/or fired the individual analyst or their close friend/family member in the past where while I can understand the continued disdain towards Sprint in those cases, just tell the boss about it as to why you can't write a fair article about Sprint, then move on.

Besides that, there is a new article about Sprint's finances from "The Street" I wanted to share here :

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13319857/1/sprint-needs-more-than-cash-from-softbank-to-survive.html

Replete with the seemingly requisite Muppet sound byte. I do find it amusing how that weasel is already backtracking.

Craig Moffett of MoffettNathanson LLC suggested in a recent note that Sprint's health could sway regulators. "If Sprint has any shot at all at a merger with T-Mobile, it would likely be because the then-administration would perceive Sprint to be an imminent bankruptcy risk, a company unable to make the requisite capital investments to support a competitive network even if restructured under Chapter 11," he wrote. The analyst previously projected that Sprint would run out of cash early next year, but now suggests the new financing vehicles should support operations through the middle of 2018.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly positive that those financing vehicles had long since been announced when he made his initial prediction. Keep batting 1.000 though, Craig.

• Like 8

Correct me if I am wrong isn't Sprint with the most unlimited data legacy Postpaid customers on its network? Even though Tmobile passed them on customer, Sprint stills has more Postpaid customers.

Correct me if I am wrong isn't Sprint with the most unlimited data legacy Postpaid customers on its network? Even though Tmobile passed them on customer, Sprint stills has more Postpaid customers.

As of the end of Q2, Sprint had 30,016,000 postpaid branded subs and T-Mobile had 29,318,000 postpaid branded subs (Sprint has 698,000 more postpaid subs).

We know that Legere pre-announced his subscribers for Q3, they gained over 2.1 million net and had 1 million postpaid net adds. Even if Sprint announced that they doubled their net adds from last quarter, T-Mobile would still surpass them in Postpaid, Prepaid, Wholesale, and Total subs as of Q3, making Sprint solidly #4.

Edited by luvixuha
  • Like 1

Oh, notice the comment where they say Sprint seems to be making things up as they go along. Please tell me how this won't negatively affect Sprint's business in any way, seeing that these comments are directed on a major investment website.

I hate to say it, but I'm disappointed Sprint isn't taking a strong defensive opposition to this, as I'd imagine T-Mobile would. John Legere wouldn't let this pass without speaking out against it. While John Legere may even use some strong language, at least what Marcelo could do is give some sort of professional response.

I'm still backing Sprint regarding this, but if Sprint remains so quiet as they have been, I'd imagine even stronger supporters of Sprint than I am may not be so inclined to continue their own support, which I've already started to see on various sites.

Which of the author's statements and figures do you disagree with.

I'm not so much reviewing article content, though I just posted mentioning one particular statement. Rather, I've been tracking the nature of these headlines, then commenting on those here on S4GRU, as these headlines show bias against Sprint.

However, I believe Sprint ought to make some sort of public statement addressing this, as it looks very bad having these headlines leading people to read content with a bias title and various statements.

I think analysis don't understand what sprint is trying to do. If I had to guess they are trying to change their business model. But people who look at this stuff for a living either don't understand what they are trying to do or are not convinced it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be completely unfair if I didn't give these analysts some benefit of doubt. Sprint hasn't been as open about their plans as what they probably ought to be. I'm not saying they should just so they could satisfy people on tech sites with lots of technical information that certainly benefits readership to sites like S4GRU, but does very little for Sprint itself in revealing that information for those sources.

Instead, Sprint owes some information to their stockholders, for whom these stock analysts serve information to and who essentially deserve that information as well, in a way. So, because of Sprint's quietness, other than to give what appears to be bad news, these analysts have nothing but negativity to write about.

However, that doesn't mean these analysts ought to write article after article using bias language in their headlines, which makes Sprint's situation seem much worse than Sprint has let known. By making the situation appear that way, they are not being honest in reporting the truthful negativity of the situation at the honest level that it is in. That is what Sprint ought to speak out against, then following up giving a broader image of the situation with both good and bad, which then if these analysts were genuine, They'd report on both, without bias.

If some analysts writing some blog posts is enough to impact a companies stock significantly, then the majority of investors never had any real confidence in the company in the first place.

• Like 4

I'm not so much reviewing article content, though I just posted mentioning one particular statement. Rather, I've been tracking the nature of these headlines, then commenting on those here on S4GRU, as these headlines show bias against Sprint.

However, I believe Sprint ought to make some sort of public statement addressing this, as it looks very bad having these headlines leading people to read content with a bias title and various statements.

I would not call it bias.  The company has done this to themselves.  They have been bleeding subscribers and money for years now.  Wall Street is not forgiving.  Hell, every time a new iPhone comes out many analysts claim doom for Apple and the stock will fail.  Guess what Apple is still selling record numbers of iPhones and doing well with the Mac line.  Sprint on the other hand has just barely started to enter recovery mode.  That alone is hard, but with the economy showing signs of slowing down, yeah you better believe Wall Street analysts are worried.  The company really cannot take on much more debt and HAS to start showing major signs of improvement.  Things are not all sunny at Sprint.  If the analysts kill Apple when they make an misstep, which they did today by putting a 5,400RPM spinner in an iMac, then you can be sure that they will be worried with Sprint too.

• Like 2

I would not call it bias.  The company has done this to themselves.  They have been bleeding subscribers and money for years now.  Wall Street is not forgiving.  Hell, every time a new iPhone comes out many analysts claim doom for Apple and the stock will fail.  Guess what Apple is still selling record numbers of iPhones and doing well with the Mac line.  Sprint on the other hand has just barely started to enter recovery mode.  That alone is hard, but with the economy showing signs of slowing down, yeah you better believe Wall Street analysts are worried.  The company really cannot take on much more debt and HAS to start showing major signs of improvement.  Things are not all sunny at Sprint.  If the analysts kill Apple when they make an misstep, which they did today by putting a 5,400RPM spinner in an iMac, then you can be sure that they will be worried with Sprint too.

I still can't believe they put a 5400rpm driver in the latest and greatest 4k fancypants iMac. Just make it $100 more and throw in the Fusion drive (which is also nerfed from previous gens as it proves only 24GB? of flash storage down from 128 GB). Even my parents who were considering replacing their older iMac were pretty annoyed at this.

• Like 1

I still can't believe they put a 5400rpm driver in the latest and greatest 4k fancypants iMac. Just make it $100 more and throw in the Fusion drive (which is also nerfed from previous gens as it proves only 24GB? of flash storage down from 128 GB). Even my parents who were considering replacing their older iMac were pretty annoyed at this.

At the risk of going off topic, this was absolutely ridiculous.  Here buy this Ferrari, but we put a governor at 40mph...

I would not call it bias. The company has done this to themselves. They have been bleeding subscribers and money for years now. Wall Street is not forgiving. Hell, every time a new iPhone comes out many analysts claim doom for Apple and the stock will fail. Guess what Apple is still selling record numbers of iPhones and doing well with the Mac line. Sprint on the other hand has just barely started to enter recovery mode. That alone is hard, but with the economy showing signs of slowing down, yeah you better believe Wall Street analysts are worried. The company really cannot take on much more debt and HAS to start showing major signs of improvement. Things are not all sunny at Sprint. If the analysts kill Apple when they make an misstep, which they did today by putting a 5,400RPM spinner in an iMac, then you can be sure that they will be worried with Sprint too.

I've been giving the matter some thought, between writing here and in the tower map thread, etc., and after thinking more about this, the less empathy I have for Sprint regarding some of this, though I'm still hoping they will turn things around somehow, nonetheless.

Sprint as a company ought to address these analysts, make some sort of defense, come out with a full plan more than relaying that NGN is still on track, or still saying what little they've been by announcing they are going to have more towers, etc. It really needs to be more specific than that, otherwise the analysts and people who rely on them for information, may continue to be negative towards the company and those subscribing and/or have stock may leave/sell, etc.

I have been a bit harsh on these analysts, though I'll admit as I've been in my posts since earlier giving more time to think this through, where they do have some valid points and reasons for some of what they say, based on the content I've read and decided to "review" in my posts since being asked to by someone here earlier. I still think the headlines though are unfair towards Sprint, even if the intention truly isn't bias and simply to draw in readers.

• Like 1

I've been giving the matter some thought, between writing here and in the tower map thread, etc., and after thinking more about this, the less empathy I have for Sprint regarding some of this, though I'm still hoping they will turn things around somehow, nonetheless.

Sprint as a company ought to address these analysts, make some sort of defense, come out with a full plan more than relaying that NGN is still on track, or still saying what little they've been by announcing they are going to have more towers, etc. It really needs to be more specific than that, otherwise the analysts and people who rely on them for information, may continue to be negative towards the company and those subscribing and/or have stock may leave/sell, etc.

I have been a bit harsh on these analysts, though I'll admit as I've been in my posts since earlier giving more time to think this through, where they do have some valid points and reasons for some of what they say, based on the content I've read and decided to "review" in my posts since being asked to by someone here earlier. I still think the headlines though are unfair towards Sprint, even if the intention truly isn't bias and simply to draw in readers.

Rather than address the analysts, the job of Sprint is to prove them wrong.  They don't have to nitpick every report that comes out.  If they post good numbers the analysts will stop.  If companies responded to all analysts, then they would get nowhere.  

• Like 2

Rather than address the analysts, the job of Sprint is to prove them wrong. They don't have to nitpick every report that comes out. If they post good numbers the analysts will stop. If companies responded to all analysts, then they would get nowhere.

Normally I would agree. However, and this is partly why I think there is some bias, is the amount of articles being written against Sprint by these analysts, some multiple days in a row. Sprint's reputation is quite bad, as it has been for several years, and these articles are not helping matters. They could very well be harming Sprint's reputation further.

Again, if it were only a few, not so overly negative articles, then that would be understandable to ignore, particularly in cases where it could be damaging to the carrier's reputation for the carrier to respond. Yet, this is different for the reasons I mentioned and would think Sprint right to respond.

On another note, there are some articles online today of an AT&T customer writing to AT&T's CEO with a few kind suggestions of pricing texting, to which the CEO forwarded to their legal council who then responded quite strictly to the customer. So apparently, carriers do take what is written about them or to them seriously when they feel something about it might harm their business.

In the case with AT&T, it was from a longtime AT&T customer with a quadruple package bundle :

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20151013-column.html

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/att-customer-politely-e-mails-ceo-gets-terse-reply-from-att-lawyer/

I agree with you, even band 41 carrier aggregation is appearing in small towns something that I didn't expect, but pleased by it.

In small towns (at least mine) it made very little sense - as it doesn't help.  Sure I can get near 90 down - but only when I am parked in the same parking lot as the tower LITERALLY - go about 2 miles and its difficult to keep LTE established...  

I know its not the same but in the end the consumer doesn't see it as a good thing.   

Normally I would agree. However, and this is partly why I think there is some bias, is the amount of articles being written against Sprint by these analysts, some multiple days in a row. Sprint's reputation is quite bad, as it has been for several years, and these articles are not helping matters. They could very well be harming Sprint's reputation further.

Again, if it were only a few, not so overly negative articles, then that would be understandable to ignore, particularly in cases where it could be damaging to the carrier's reputation for the carrier to respond. Yet, this is different for the reasons I mentioned and would think Sprint right to respond.

On another note, there are some articles online today of an AT&T customer writing to AT&T's CEO with a few kind suggestions of pricing texting, to which the CEO forwarded to their legal council who then responded quite strictly to the customer. So apparently, carriers do take what is written about them or to them seriously when they feel something about it might harm their business.

In the case with AT&T, it was from a longtime AT&T customer with a quadruple package bundle :

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20151013-column.html

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/att-customer-politely-e-mails-ceo-gets-terse-reply-from-att-lawyer/

Don't take analyst reports so personal unless you invest in the stock market, or it causes you to get layed off.

Their job is to sell advice almost like a reverse lobbyist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't take analyst reports so personal unless you invest in the stock market, or it causes you to get layed off.

Their job is to sell advice almost like a reverse lobbyist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I once considered buying Sprint stock, but I didn't go through with the idea.

My mother might still own stock in Verizon passed to her from her mother, when her mother died earlier this year, though I'm not certain of it, or if she sold it it or not.

Of course that doesn't affect nor reflect my opinions of Verizon, good or bad, nor that of any other carrier.

So I kinda ignored the rootmetrics reports for a while but revisited them today. I'm surprised Sprint isn't scoring better, I really am. Las Vegas aside (we know that story), I would expect Sprint to score better in cities like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, where we know carrier aggregation is alive and well. Does anyone think Sprint is having issues with CA or perhaps some other technical reason that is holding them back a bit?