Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

"May I interest you in a leased phone? You'll always have the latest technology that works on our bleeding-edge network, all for a low monthly cost."

You sound like an oily used car salesman when you say that... It's rather creepy...

(The concept of leasing itself is fine, but sometimes people present it in creepy ways...)

• Like 2

All I want in 2015 is Marcelo to continue to under promise and over deliver. He's doing such a great job and the new sprint is shaping up to great company.

For spark cells...can we expect to get the same maximum throuput speeds like from a normal cell tower? Or expect speeds to be cut in half?

Also how long is the deployment of a small cell?

I'm not to familiar with small cells

• Like 3

You sound like an oily used car salesman when you say that... It's rather creepy...

(The concept of leasing itself is fine, but sometimes people present it in creepy ways...)

Put down that coffee! :)

All I want in 2015 is Marcelo to continue to under promise and over deliver. He's doing such a great job and the new sprint is shaping up to great company.

For spark cells...can we expect to get the same maximum throuput speeds like from a normal cell tower? Or expect speeds to be cut in half?

All I want is to head to opening day at Busch Stadium and to have a solid data connection - something I didn't have with the iPhone 3G - iPhone 5S. (I was with AT&T when the iPhone crippled their network, jumped to Sprint on the 4S.)

Ditto for the Blues playoff push and other areas of high congestion. :)

Small cells have the same theoretical performance as macro cells. It's all still the same technology. Small cell deployment will result in fast speeds because it spreads out the load between many cells.

Small cells have the same theoretical performance as macro cells. It's all still the same technology. Small cell deployment will result in fast speeds because it spreads out the load between many cells.

That's awesome. So will the spark cells would be equipped with 8t8r and be able to do carrier aggregation?

That's awesome. So will the spark cells would be equipped with 8t8r and be able to do carrier aggregation?

They'll be able to do carrier aggregation for sure. No clue on whether they'll be 8T8R capable, but I'm leaning towards no since it's a lot of technology to pack into a small package.

While it is technically possible to put all that stuff into small cells, you don't want to because it makes them too big. No small cell I know of supports more than 2T2R and none are capable of carrier aggregation. Small cell sites support less than a seventh of the users/capacity of a macro site for the same reason. And of course, small cells have less than one-twentieth the range of a macro site.

• Like 1

I know this isn't the best thread for this, but does anyone think Sprint should redesign the plans page on Sprint.com? I think they should make it where a user just selects what they want and it automatically calculates the price(like the other carriers) instead of having to manually calculate the plan. How can I say this to Marcelo in 140 characters or less?

• Like 2

I know this isn't the best thread for this, but does anyone think Sprint should redesign the plans page on Sprint.com? I think they should make it where a user just selects what they want and it automatically calculates the price(like the other carriers) instead of having to manually calculate the plan. How can I say this to Marcelo in 140 characters or less?

Marcelo. The entire website sucks and is outdated. Re do it. #newandimprovedsprint

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

• Like 17

While on the subject of improvements to the Sprint website, can we please get a better coverage viewer tool? The current one needs to be retired back to the 90s, where it belongs...

Agreed

But to be fair they all suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While on the subject of improvements to the Sprint website, can we please get a better coverage viewer tool? The current one needs to be retired back to the 90s, where it belongs...

Tweet Marcelo or @Sprintcare. I get replies back from suggestions I make

While on the subject of improvements to the Sprint website, can we please get a better coverage viewer tool? The current one needs to be retired back to the 90s, where it belongs...

It is slightly better than it was 6 months ago.... Not that that is saying much.

• Like 2

But to be fair they all suck.

They definitely don't all suck equally though, and if Sprint would fix the broken map data and then fix the map web viewer, it would be an super easy and cheap way to be more customer friendly.

• Like 4

PhoneArena's tests more or less back up what I've experienced in Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Seattle.

But some markets seem really...wrong. For instance, Verizon has literally fallen off the 4G chart in Cleveland and in San Diego for instance, even though RootMetrics places them right near the top with T-Mobile or AT&T in both of those markets for data speed / performance.

I think relying exclusively on OpenSignal for speed tests is going to skew the results heavily in markets where people are only testing when they have problems. (unlike RootMetrics, which is relativity reliable because they actually hire people to test consistently all networks across entire markets, in addition to using user-reported data)

• Like 2

I feel that at the end of the day it's all about what carrier works for you and your own personal needs. But also just being content with what you have. Each carrier has good and bad spots and each carrier will try to one up each other with perks and stuff. If people get enticed by perks every time they will constantly switch and will never become satisfied and will pick on the smallest thing to switch to the next carrier. And the fascination of carrier rank.

Edited by derrph
  • Like 4

I think relying exclusively on OpenSignal for speed tests is going to skew the results heavily in markets where people are only testing when they have problems.

The phoneArena report is rife with problems.  If it had to be defended in higher academia, it would get trashed.

As maxsilver points out, the OpenSignal data set is likely biased.  Bar none, Sprint LTE upload speeds do not exceed download speeds -- except on heavily congested sites.  And heavily congested Sprint sites are not the norm across the country.

Moreover, the constantly shifting scales on the graphs are a big no no.  phoneArena is out to exaggerate differences as clickbait.  For example, look at the LTE latency graph.  It is ostensibly intended to make Sprint look poor, AT&T look good.  But the average difference between the two is only 20 ms, which corresponds to just a 21 percent change from Sprint to AT&T.  Put the latency graph on a legitimate 0-100 ms scale, and the actual differences become apparent.  That is real science.

AJ

• Like 6

The phoneArena report is rife with problems. If it had to be defended in higher academia, it would get trashed.

As maxsilver points out, the OpenSignal data set is likely biased. Bar none, Sprint LTE upload speeds do not exceed download speeds -- except on heavily congested sites. And heavily congested Sprint sites are not the norm across the country.

Moreover, the constantly shifting scales on the graphs are a big no no. phoneArena is out to exaggerate differences as clickbait. For example, look at the LTE latency graph. It is ostensibly intended to make Sprint look poor, AT&T look good. But the average difference between the two is only 20 ms, which corresponds to just a 21 percent change from Sprint to AT&T. Put the latency graph on a legitimate 0-100 ms scale, and the actual differences become apparent. That is real science.

AJ

Just my pov

- in my home areas uploads are typically 30% higher.

- wouldn't clickbate work better if sprint was reported as equal to ATT and vzw?

- the link does put TMO down with sprint, except raw speed.