Percentage of EVDO and LTE

The last report I saw was 60% from Sprint also, if memory serves. But considering it's 60% and they don't have LTE over its entire footprint yet, that would make it higher than 60% in LTE coverage areas.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Shentel, who has LTE on about 99% of sites in their footprint, recently stated they have 60% of data usage on LTE. They probably have one of the most complete networks of any market and should be pretty indicative of other markets once they are complete. Keep in mind, every month more and more people are upgrading to LTE handsets, including prepaid as well. 

• Like 2

Why everybody is 60%?

Adoption rate can be slow at times when people don't want to upgrade their phones. I have 3 friends still on 3G based iPhone's on Verizon. They should upgrade, but convincing them is the hard part.

Adoption rate can be slow at times when people don't want to upgrade their phones. I have 3 friends still on 3G based iPhone's on Verizon. They should upgrade, but convincing them is the hard part.

I know, I even give someone a free Android phone. They don't even want to call 611 to swap it.

Why everybody is 60%?

Corporate customers is one of the big reasons. My company has no interest in upgrading my iPhone 4s. It meets the needs for what they give me a phone for. So until it breaks or the company decides my needs have changed, my work phone will not be LTE enabled.

There are millions of people in the same position as me.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Corporate customers is one of the big reasons. My company has no interest in upgrading my iPhone 4s. It meets the needs for what they give me a phone for. So until it breaks or the company decides my needs have changed, my work phone will not be LTE enabled.

There are millions of people in the same position as me.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

yep the government does the same thing.  They only upgrade phones when absolutely needed.

Why everybody is 60%?

Everybody just wants a passing D grade.

AJ

The last report I saw was 60% from Sprint also, if memory serves. But considering it's 60% and they don't have LTE over its entire footprint yet, that would make it higher than 60% in LTE coverage areas.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'd be interested to see how much this statistic increases after the plethora of 5S' being given out for free.

I'd be interested to see how much this statistic increases after the plethora of 5S' being given out for free.

Im 75% to my upgrade quota for the month in less than 6 days of working because of this. Stores in my area are barely keeping them in stock.
  • Like 2

90+% 1900Mhz

30+% 800Mhz (plus, select information below)

5+% 2500Mhz

That is the total 4G network coverage status as of July 30th, 2014.

99+% 1900Mhz 3G EV-DO Rev. A - Advanced.

65+% 800Mhz 1xAdvanced (excluding interference zones in WA State and border with Mexico. Mexico resolution in 2-4 years. Canadian resolution in 10 years.)

• Like 1

Im 75% to my upgrade quota for the month in less than 6 days of working because of this. Stores in my area are barely keeping them in stock.

I asked the store here and they aren't selling them out of stock, just direct ship.

It doesn't surprise me too much that sprint is at the same percentage as big red.  Although verizon has had LTE for longer, they have always had a slower smartphone adoption rate, and there were phones other than the iPhone that did not support LTE that were still being sold 2 yrs ago.  Also, until recently they did not allow LTE on their prepaid service so all of those handsets are 3G only.  I would assume that in the next year we will see the % of traffic over LTE really increase for verizon, as almost all current handsets being sold will be LTE capable. I would assume that apple will phase out the 4s as they will be 3 models out by this fall, meaning that even companies that would rather keep the 4s for employees will have to replace it with a newer version as people break them or come available for upgrades.  3G will still be a fallback and I'm sure will always have some percentage until it is fully decommissioned and all available spectrum is re-purposed for LTE.

Sprint's percentage will steadily climb probably at a similar pace to verizon's but for a different reason as they are finishing the build out and adding 800Mhz to their network.  Sprint had LTE handsets in the hands of customers even in areas that sill don't have LTE and those customers now can upgrade to a new phone without ever using the LTE on their old one! (I lived in Erie, Pa... they get no love with anything, lol)  So it is less about compatibility of phones as the availability of the network, so I would assume that as they finish the current build out, they will be able to re-farm more spectrum for LTE.

Unfortunately, a lot of the legacy devices that aren't being upgraded are mobile broadband devices, not smartphones. That's just in my personal experience, but as an account manager for corporate and gov't accounts, I have a pretty good perspective on it. with Smartphones, you've got pressure from end users who want to have the latest and greatest device. But for a mobile broadband device if it's not broken and the end users have enough coverage / connection speeds to get their work done there's not a lot of incentive for the telecom manager to take on a big project and upgrade everyone. And then there's telemetry devices, which are mostly 1x (and will remain on 1x devices for quite some time), so they'll never quite hit 100%