Ascertion

Do you root/jailbreak your phone(s)?

Just curious. When I learned about the potential of android/iOS without the limits, I've had a lot of fun missing around with customization.

If you do modify your phone, why?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yes.

Titanium Backup, ROM Toolbox, LinuxOnAndroid, XHaloFloatingWindow, AdAway, Ultimate Dynamic Navbar.

I could go on, but I won't. But I could.

Oh, Greenify! I almost forgot Greenify!

• Like 2

Just curious. When I learned about the potential of android/iOS without the limits, I've had a lot of fun missing around with customization.

If you do modify your phone, why?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I do it for the fun of it :P I usually do it to every device right away. I like having it s if I run across an app or something I like it is only an install away. 

Yes I root, customization, true back up and restore, alternate ROMs, etc

I jailbroke my iPhone 5S specifically for Signal 2 by planetbeing. Although he needs to update it for iOS 7 compatibility, it gives me most of the information I need about my signal without having to go into field test everytime.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I jailbroke my iPhone 5S specifically for Signal 2 by planetbeing. Although he needs to update it for iOS 7 compatibility, it gives me most of the information I need about my signal without having to go into field test everytime.

This would be the only reason I jailbreak my phone. But I haven't yet. Not sure if I want too.

I used to. But the Nexus 5 does what I need it to without modification. It may change in the future, but I may not need to root my N5, ever.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

This would be the only reason I jailbreak my phone. But I haven't yet. Not sure if I want too.

As long as that is the only thing you install if you jailbreak, then you should be fine.

As long as that is the only thing you install if you jailbreak, then you should be fine.

Yeh, I wouldn't spend the time customizing everything and all that hoopla. I would just to be able to see dbm instead of dots, which I know can be done by doing the field test mode. But every time I go into field test mode and forget to close it out via that process, the dots revert. That and that signal app you just mentioned sounds convenient. 

Also just wanted to add that when I jailbroke my 4s I noticed a significant drop in performance. Not sure why, but I reverted it back to iOS 6 quickly.

Titanium Back, for me, is the primary reason.  I would hate to lose all that progress in Angry Birds!! (Or in any particular non-online game I happen to be playing when I get a new phone.)

Let's not forget things like changing CPU Voltage and steps.

Or Stickmount for full USB OTG support on devices that don't otherwise let you do it.

Or SixAxis for a Dualshock 3 experience that emulates touches.

Or LMT Launcher for PIE.

Or App Settings for Per-App DPI and visual control.

Or XPrivacy for restricting application access to personal information.

Or, by God, just the incredible amount of things you can do with xposed. Go download Wanam Xposed (for TouchWiz) and/or GravityBox and just marvel at the options.

Or, lastly, the main reason everyone I know asks me to root their stuff, free tethering (barf). The answer is no.

I jail broke my 5 specifically so that I could load one of Digi's PRLs on my phone.  The PRL works great and I haven't done much else to it since then.

When I was on Android I rooted it so I could upgrade the OS.  T-Mobile was horrible about updates at the time.  I haven't done it on iOS because I don't tinker as much now that I'm not in IT anymore.