Android Tablets at Big Lots

Marv1

I've been wondering this for the longest. Are the Android Tablets sold at Big Lots any good, and worth buying? Every Big Lots store has tablets. I went to a local Big Lots today to pick up a few things. I went over to the electronics section and seen a few different tablets that had for sale in the price range of $59-$99. They had many 7" tablets. Below are the ones I seen. Are any of these worth purchasing?

Polaroid 7"

4.0 Android

Model: PM1706th

Emerson 7"

4.1 Android

Model: EM744

Proscan 7"

4.1 Android

Model: PLT7044K

Proscan 8"

4.1 Android

Model: PLT8816K

Crystal View 7" Netbook

4.1 Android

Netbook 7"

4.0 Android (not sure what model)

Are any of these worth purchasing?

Run away,run very very far away and don't look back.  Just as koiulpoi stated in a couple of posts above, look at the Nexus 7 tablets.  If not the 2013 model I'm sure you could find a 2012 Nexus 7 pretty cheap these days.

Edit:  Additional Note...Big Lots and tablets don't belong in the same sentence together...like water and oil they don't mix runnnnnnnnnnn away.

Lol, calm down guys! I know all about the Nexus 7, and have a Nexus 7 I bought last month. See below. All I wanted to know if those tablets at Big Lots were any good to purchase, because I see people buying them here and there. My question probably sounded like I was going to get one from Big Lots for myself.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5195-nexus-7-2013-keeps-crashing/

I'll admit I bought my 88-year-old grandmother a 7" tablet from Walmart.  I think it's a Nextbook and was $69.  It's actually okay, but has a TERRIBLE screen.  And it randomly gets weird color problems and then corrects itself.  But, it was her first foray into using a tablet (she got frustrated with computers) and I wasn't sure if it was going to work out.  

Turns out she LOVES it, and can't stop playing Wordsmith Free with me (like Words with Friends).  If I'd have known she would like it so much, I would have bought a nicer model.

All I wanted to know if those tablets at Big Lots were any good to purchase, because I see people buying them here and there.

Yeah, those people are mostly clueless grandparents and cheap parents -- in both cases, buying tablets as gifts for more savvy children who will be oh so lucky to receive them.  When the children open them, the elder relatives will probably even say something like "Look, an iPad!"

AJ

• Like 4

I always cringe at people who buy those bottom of the barrel $200-300 laptops from Walmart or the like.  Laptops can be so finicky/unreliable long term anyway, but buying one of those 'eLaptop' type of machines is about the equivalent of treating a Yugo a luxury sedan.  Yeah, you may get out cheap for about a year or a little more if you're especially lucky, but particularly folks who buy them for their kids at Christmas, I want to scream at them that if they're gung ho on just throwing away their money, I'm in the garbage disposal business and would be glad to be of service.

My $300 2009 Toshiba laptop is still rockin'. Even missing a corner from a unfortunate collision with the floor after jumping from the table. Still has the original electrical tape I used to patch it up in 2010. Whatever labor camp this thing came from, they sure know how to assemble a tough bunch of cheap parts! Like the gentleman above said, this is the exception to the rule, yet I have a home brew I built for a phenominal amount of money, and the motherboard is failing on many fronts so go figure. That said, I also have the Nexus 7 and I can attest to it's value and durability.

• Like 1

My mom bought herself one of the Proscan 9" tablets and hated it.  She couldn't figure it out, so she went and bought herself a Samsung tablet that she loves.  So, we gave my youngest daughter the Proscan and she really likes it.  I put the Amazon app store on there since the original "market" was junk.  It doesn't have the best screen, but for her to browse a few websites and play Flow Free and a few other games it's just fine.

The main problems I see with these lower end tablets are the screens, the default app stores aren't very good (and not necessarily easy to install a new one, although Amazon was easier than trying to get Google Play store), the OS most likely won't be upgraded to later versions of andriod and there are most likely no custom roms available.

• Like 2