How to Spot Sprint 8T8R TD-LTE RRHs (Alcatel-Lucent)

lilotimz

How can someone tell if the tower or cell site was retrofitted for 8T8R? Or carrier aggregation was completed without looking at it? Is there a way to check on the phone that its picking it up?

Edited by gs5eric

How can someone tell if the tower or cell site was retrofitted for 8T8R? Or carrier aggregation was completed without looking at it? Is there a way to check on the phone that its picking it up?

The first three digits of the gci will increase by one. The last two characters of the gci, which indicate sectors, will move to the next series. For Samsung markets, was was 00, 01, or 02 becomes 03, 04, or 05 to indicate second carrier. SCP will indicate it with an exponent of 2. CA we have not seen yet.
  • Like 1

The first three digits of the gci will increase by one. The last two characters of the gci, which indicate sectors, will move to the next series. For Samsung markets, was was 00, 01, or 02 becomes 03, 04, or 05 to indicate second carrier. SCP will indicate it with an exponent of 2. CA we have not seen yet.

Sorry for my ignorance but where or how will i be able to see that on my phone? I have gs6 edge

Edited by gs5eric

Sorry for my ignorance but where or how will i be able to see that on my phone? I have gs6 edge

Recommend you download Signalcheck Pro for $1.99 from google play store. Other option is dial ##debug# and choose LTE.
  • Like 1

CA may be out there and you should have the right phone to find it. Good luck!

Recommend you download Signalcheck Pro for $1.99 from google play store. Other option is dial ##debug# and choose LTE.

Ok Awesome im going to try that. If i hit *#0011# would i be able to see anything on that screen to indicate 8t8r?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I connect to this tower when i am home and CA is not enabled yet ,is it 8t8r ? i am on band 41 even in basement.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5751491E40D9FD7F!11144&authkey=!AJni3U4E0hwe3Rc&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

That's one of the few sites where Clearwire and Sprint is colocated on the same rack.

The Clear equipment have the Samsung dual mode RRUs which broadcast both Band 41 and WiMax. Some Samsung clear equipment are capable of 2nd Band 41 carrier and carrier aggregation but most won't have 2nd B41 carrier and / or CA enabled until WiMax is shut down. 

• Like 1

Looks like Sprint using tri-band antennas in San Diego.  Does this support B41 8T8R?

Antenna: http://www.commscope.com/catalog/wireless/product_details.aspx?id=23327

Permit:  http://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/pdf/hearingofficer/reports/2015/HO-15-092.pdf

Looks like Sprint using tri-band antennas in San Diego. Does this support B41 8T8R?

Great find! Since each sector has 3 panels can they connect to multiple panels to get 8T8R?

Great find! Since each sector has 3 panels can they connect to multiple panels to get 8T8R?

I don't understand the need for 3 antennas per sector. Even in a high capacity situation only two antennas would be required.

Sent from my LG G4

I don't understand the need for 3 antennas per sector. Even in a high capacity situation only two antennas would be required.

Sent from my LG G4

2 of the antennas are for pcs and 1 for 2500. We have setups like that here in new Orleans. The 2 panel pcs setup is being called the "high capacity" project. Pretty much every other site here is going to that.

6bd633f196cd38c6f89880b84010d060.jpg

dc5f021e6c35ce3a1bb557a97f489630.jpg

4ae999488eafcb66afd7f681fd15d951.jpg

That's a Nokia build near where I live. Old stuff on the ground after the install. Snuck up and got some pics.

Sent from my LG G4

Probably allow Sprint to fire up more Band 25 and 41 without adding more antennas.

Are the tri-band antennas cheaper than the 8T8R antennas? Is it possible to "chain" the antennas to get the same MIMO benefits?

Maybe it's more cost efficient. Plus, could this setup be more flexible for downtilt adjustments on a airlink basis not just frequency?

Are the tri-band antennas cheaper than the 8T8R antennas? Is it possible to "chain" the antennas to get the same MIMO benefits?

Maybe it's more cost efficient. Plus, could this setup be more flexible for downtilt adjustments on a airlink basis not just frequency?

No. Yes but redundant. No. Not really.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

2 of the antennas are for pcs and 1 for 2500. We have setups like that here in new Orleans. The 2 panel pcs setup is being called the "high capacity" project. Pretty much every other site here is going to that.

That's a Nokia build near where I live. Old stuff on the ground after the install. Snuck up and got some pics.

Alcatel-Lucent markets run Rf combiners for high capacity sites. They don't use a separate antenna and pcs radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• 1 month later...

Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 5

Is that six antennas per sector? Damn. I thought the typical four per sector they have here was a lot (most sites here can't handle more than that per rack) but wow.

Is that six antennas per sector? Damn. I thought the typical four per sector they have here was a lot (most sites here can't handle more than that per rack) but wow.

Check out this setup.  2x 2.5 and 4x1.9.  High Capacity.  First site I have seen in San Diego with this type of setup.

http://imgur.com/a/kyQbc#xWmJ2vN

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

2 More towers I am wondering about. Any idea what these ones are?

If it does not match the spotting guides then it is not Sprint. See Alcatel-Lucent NV one and the pictures on the first post of the page and you will see your pictures do not match those of the spotting guides.