Google Voice

When the new hangouts app came out with SCE support, I decided to try and disable Google voice and let me say, the call quality is night and day better without Google voice. For others that have horrible call quality, maybe it's Google to blame vice sprint. My hate of Google grows with every new thing they touch (Reference Google maps)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

When the new hangouts app came out with SCE support, I decided to try and disable Google voice and let me say, the call quality is night and day better without Google voice. For others that have horrible call quality, maybe it's Google to blame vice sprint. My hate of Google grows with every new thing they touch (Reference Google maps)

Stupid autocorrect. I meant to say SMS support. And the reason Google Voice is important is because the new hangouts app SMS support doesn't support Google voice numbers until next year. The important point though is that Google voice kills voice quality

Uh, despite its name, what does Google Voice have to do with voice quality?

AJ

• Like 2

Stupid autocorrect. I meant to say SMS support. And the reason Google Voice is important is because the new hangouts app SMS support doesn't support Google voice numbers until next year. The important point though is that Google voice kills voice quality

I have to agree with AJ.... Google Voice has nothing to do with your actual Voice calls... it's not a VoIP service, all it does is handle SMS (if you choose to allow it to do so) and voicemail.

I have to agree with AJ.... Google Voice has nothing to do with your actual Voice calls... it's not a VoIP service, all it does is handle SMS (if you choose to allow it to do so) and voicemail.

And international calls. With google voice intergration international calls are routed through Gv or at least the charges.

No, Google Voice does do some VoIP stuff. You can set up GrooveIP, or answer calls via GMail. With gvoice call forwarding or integration, all voice calls go through them at some point.

That being said, I've personally found my voice calls sound better using GrooveIP for VoIP calling.

No, Google Voice does do some VoIP stuff. You can set up GrooveIP, or answer calls via GMail. With gvoice call forwarding or integration, all voice calls go through them at some point.

The VoIP capability is not Google Voice, per se.  Rather, it is Google Chat.  To use GrooVeIP, for example, you have to tick the box in your Voice settings to forward to Chat.

Honestly, the divisions among Google Voice, Chat, Talk, and Hangouts are quite confusing.  I think everything will be centralized soon within Hangouts -- maybe under yet a different name, though, as Hangouts sounds too slangy.  I am sure that Google would like to include a native VoIP client, but the wireless operators are basically implying, if not outright saying "Don't you dare do that."

AJ

• Like 1

AJ

If you have the Sprint/Google Voice integration, you can have your calls are at least partially routed through Google's servers (including calls made over the native sprint network and the native phone interface)  

You have the ability to initiate call recording, and it some cases, transfer calls from one phone to another or to gmail.  As well as have incoming calls simultaneously ring multiple locations.

Google will also intercept international calls and route them itself.

So it's certainly possible for GV to affect voice quality.

• Like 1

I have found that the Google Voice integration can sound ok and sometimes so bad I have to hang up and call again.

The same for incoming call, sometimes there is a beep every so many seconds, its weird, like someone pressed a key on their phone.

This is when the international integration is used from a Sprint phone in a sprint area, and also when in a roaming area.

To use the Google voice in a Sprint area, I just dial the +number directly.

To use Google voice in a  roaming area, I have to dial my own number and then the password and then the 011 number.

Can't use the Google voice +number dialing directly when roaming, have to be in a Sprint area.

A third party is involving in the voice routing, can't recall which it is.

I have found that the Google Voice integration can sound ok and sometimes so bad I have to hang up and call again.

The same for incoming call, sometimes there is a beep every so many seconds, its weird, like someone pressed a key on their phone.

This is when the international integration is used from a Sprint phone in a sprint area, and also when in a roaming area.

To use the Google voice in a Sprint area, I just dial the +number directly.

To use Google voice in a  roaming area, I have to dial my own number and then the password and then the 011 number.

Can't use the Google voice +number dialing directly when roaming, have to be in a Sprint area.

A third party is involving in the voice routing, can't recall which it is.

Broadband.com iirc

Bandwidth.com used to be the underlying carrier for GV but I believe the last time I checked it was Level 3, maybe it depends on the number. I can check numbers if anyone is interested using a basic telecom tool I have access to for work. (I work for the 4th largest carrier in the country). Level 3 is a major league carrier, but all this means is that they are terminating the call on the pstn or public switched telephone network, or even more basic converting it from voip to "standard" analog.

I am a GV (sprint integration) user and I have noticed call quality issues as well. I have also perceived a delay in getting ring-back, it seems like the calls take longer to set up. I believe that Sprint phones are actually dialing into some type of server, delivering a terminating number to that server and then waiting for the server to make a call to the final terminating number and then that server bridges the two together. 

Likely that server is owned by Google. Google is then converting calls to voip and then delivering them in packet form to Level 3 who does the rest. It is possible that this is not accurate, but I bet it is. 

I am a GV (sprint integration) user and I have noticed call quality issues as well. I have also perceived a delay in getting ring-back, it seems like the calls take longer to set up. I believe that Sprint phones are actually dialing into some type of server, delivering a terminating number to that server and then waiting for the server to make a call to the final terminating number and then that server bridges the two together. 

I've seen the same thing as I brought up in this thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4927-connection-lag-when-making-phone-calls/

Taking a long time for ring-back, many times missing calls, missing and late texts.  I've turned off Google Voice integration and will try just forwarding my voicemail to GV instead.  The integration (for me, anyway) just doesn't work well enough to be trusted.

I have transitioned from full integration to voicemail integration only for the same reasons. 

Also, I did run both of my google voice numbers through Neustar and both are with Bandwidth.com. I would have bet seeing Level 3 at some point but maybe I was wrong...

I am sure that Google would like to include a native VoIP client, but the wireless operators are basically implying, if not outright saying "Don't you dare do that."

Which is weird, because it's data that most of the operators are trying to cap. Voice and SMS is a giveaway, a mirror image of the situation 5 years ago. You'd figure they'd want people using as much data as they could charge for, capacity allowing.

I am sure that Google would like to include a native VoIP client, but the wireless operators are basically implying, if not outright saying "Don't you dare do that."

AJ

They're allowing VoIP calls over GV in the new iOS Hangouts app:

http://lifehacker.com/google-hangouts-for-ios-adds-free-voice-calling-1449196714

I don't know why they haven't implemented it yet in Android, but you can bet it's coming.

They're allowing VoIP calls over GV in the new iOS Hangouts app:

http://lifehacker.com/google-hangouts-for-ios-adds-free-voice-calling-1449196714

I don't know why they haven't implemented it yet in Android, but you can bet it's coming.

Possibly waiting until the middle of the 2014, when all the third party apps (Groove IP etc) are kicked off.

AJ

Pretty sure it is handled differently.  When I was playing around with running my own voip gateway, I noticed increased latency when using Google voice integration vs when not.