Why the lack of 800?

Been looking at the NV Sites Complete map of PA and only noticed 4 towers outside of the Shentel market that have 800Mhz Voice. It does not appear to be for the lack of upgraded towers. This pretty much corresponds with what I have noticed in my travels, go outside of the Shentel market and there is no 800.

Anyone speculate why Sprint is holding off on turning on 800 Mhz Voice?

They are not holding off, most NV sites have pre-installed with 800/1900Mhz antennas.  It is a matter of getting a crew onsite to turn up and test before it is completed and accepted.

• Like 2

They are not holding off, most NV sites have pre-installed with 800/1900Mhz antennas. It is a matter of getting a crew onsite to turn up and test before it is completed and accepted.

I think the OPs point is not that the current NV towers dont have the 800 MHZ RRU and antennas installed but he is just wondering what is taking sprint so long to get crews out to preinstalled sites all over the US and light them up.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I think the OPs point is not that the current NV towers dont have the 800 MHZ RRU and antennas installed but he is just wondering what is taking sprint so long to get crews out to preinstalled sites all over the US and light them up.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks  :tu:

Been looking at the NV Sites Complete map of PA and only noticed 4 towers outside of the Shentel market that have 800Mhz Voice. It does not appear to be for the lack of upgraded towers. This pretty much corresponds with what I have noticed in my travels, go outside of the Shentel market and there is no 800.

Anyone speculate why Sprint is holding off on turning on 800 Mhz Voice?

I think because all major carriers are doing the upgrades all at the same time, shortage on crews just to get it done.

• Like 1

Robert doesn't get reports on 1x800 acceptances as often as he does the other acceptances. so in regards to 1x800 the maps will be behind what is actual live out in the field.

for example around des moines here i'm getting 1x800 from 6 different towers but on the NV complete map all 6 are only showing 3G accepted and not 3G/800 accepted. this is because the report robert got only lists them as 3G accepted. the NV complete map is supposed to reflect the reports that sprint gets as to what is accepted. 

so in all markets there is probably a lot of 1x800 live but the only way you would know that is to actually connect to it since the maps here won't show it until it shows up on an acceptance report.

• Like 2

I guess what I am really curious about is the many sites that have the new equipment installed, the old removed but no 800. Seems these would have already had all the crew visits necessary but for some reason Sprint is not turning on 800.

so in all markets there is probably a lot of 1x800 live but the only way you would know that is to actually connect to it since the maps here won't show it until it shows up on an acceptance report.

Doesn't seem to be my experience in the Sprint markets of Eastern PA. In the Shentel markets I am on 800 all day long, in the Sprint markets I have seldom to never connected to 800.

However as I said in my post above I am seeing many towers that visibly appear to be done but give no connection to 800.

I thought sites were going to come live on CDMA 800 like crazy post June 30th.  Guess there's more testing to be done and Ericsson doesn't really like dealing with something other than PCS. Lol.

Anyone who thought that come July 1st, a flip of a switch was suddenly going to turn on thousands and thousands of CDMA 800 sites are nuts.  The only reason why this can't be done is because with voice, one of the criteria is to ensure that it works with emergency calls to 911 in case your phone has issues.  This means that drive testing and calls into a call center would need to be done to ensure this works as intended.  Not only that but who knows if there needs to be an additional CDMA carrier card for 800 MHz that was not installed in the base station during the initial NV installation.  I expected that July and August to be dead months for 800 MHz due to ramping down of iDEN and Sprint ramps things up in preparation for a larger deployment of CDMA 800 and LTE 800.

Since I don't have a CDMA 800 device, I can't verify if there are areas that already have CDMA 800 deployed but are just not marked on the maps.  It appears that CDMA 800 seems to be deployed in more places that we know it and the maps are just lagging due to the lack of information that was passed down plus Robert's busy schedule.

• Like 1

I thought sites were going to come live on CDMA 800 like crazy post June 30th.  Guess there's more testing to be done and Ericsson doesn't really like dealing with something other than PCS. Lol.

I at least thought they would have a bunch in August myself at least on the 3G/4G ones.  They fired up 3 or 4 in our area a month ago then quit.  Not sure why they did that as it really created more problems than it solved.  You end up fringe voice and drop the call in the middle of town, even on a stock PRL.

• Like 2

Anyone who thought that come July 1st, a flip of a switch was suddenly going to turn on thousands and thousands of CDMA 800 sites are nuts.

But, by the Gods, I wish it did work that way.
  • Like 1

But, by the Gods, I wish it did work that way.

Yes indeed...I think they had so many problems here they stopped the rollout until they could circle back.  I heard from some of my cage rattling with the 6 day voice outage that new procedures were put in place to prevent this in the future.  They've even left a half launched 800SMR site in one part of town.  They flipped the switch on the 800SMR rollout alright ;)

Yes indeed...I think they had so many problems here they stopped the rollout until they could circle back.  I heard from some of my cage rattling with the 6 day voice outage that new procedures were put in place to prevent this in the future.  They've even left a half launched 800SMR site in one part of town.  They flipped the switch on the 800SMR rollout alright ;)

I hope they do put in procedures like that. I hear a lot from folks that the reason 3G NV and CDMA 800 upgrades are so crucial and take so long is 911 testing. Yet, they can still end up with sites launching that would keep 911 from working.

It's been a tough couple of weeks here in Grand Rapids, certainly. We got a ton of 800, and it seems to be having trouble handing off to 1900. Or maybe it just likes to drop calls because it feels like it, not sure. It's been more or less extremely severe, throughout the city. It's especially bad with Artprize going on.

It's been pretty trying, being at the brunt of it - doubly so when Care informs people that "nothing is wrong". I know what's coming, but man, it's making me want to switch.

The last few days the EV-DO has been going in and out on the Sprint towers in town. Phone shows 4-6 bars and 3G but SignalCheck shows 1xRTT. To a normal customer, they would think they have strong EV-DO and not understand why the Internet isn't working. I hope they are doing some testing to bring the 4G only towers up to 3G or adding 800, but who knows. The Sprint store in town says there is nothing wrong here, either. I guess 1000ms pings and 0.01 mbps speeds falls under "normal". I am keeping the faith that this is the prelude to a large scale upgrade. It seems that with Ericsson, each upgrade is preceeded by an outage for a few days.

To be honest, I was more excited about 800mhz upgrades than I was about 4G. I thought it would be deployed faster than 4G and have a bigger impact on my phones usability (long distance from tower, indoors, etc.) The roll out has been slow for the reasons given above and my GN2 got the 2000 prl and that locked me out of using it at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I was more excited about 800mhz upgrades than I was about 4G. I thought it would be deployed faster than 4G and have a bigger impact on my phones usability (long distance from tower, indoors, etc.) The roll out has been slow for the reasons given above and my GN2 got the 2000 prl and that locked me out of using it at all.

You could always load a custom PRL!

They've been doing some work in my area, and after several weeks of extra horrid service at home I got about 3 glorious days of 1x800.   For the first time I had usuable service through my house (basement included) without an airave....and then it went away.

They've been doing some work in my area, and after several weeks of extra horrid service at home I got about 3 glorious days of 1x800.   For the first time I had usuable service through my house (basement included) without an airave....and then it went away.

I had a similar experience with a tower near me. It was live for a weekend then they turned the one off. That was the first weekend of August. Every now and then I would feel the vibrations telling me that they turned it on but it will only stay for an hour if that. Just trying to say be hopeful but don't be to disappointed if it takes a while. It shows their working in your neighborhood.
  • Like 1

Every now and then I would feel the vibrations telling me that they turned it on...

Feel the vibration?  Come on, come on, feel it, feel it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

AJ

• Like 3