Video Game Discussion (Was: So...which next gen console are you getting?)

Ascertion

Xbox One or PS4?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which console are you getting?

• Xbox One
    • Playstation 4
    • Wii-U
    • PC Master race has no reason to buy one of these pieces of junk!
    • Still Deciding...

So, where's the Sega Dreamcast in all that, huh!? HUH!?

Oh, yes, what a glaring omission because my post was clearly intended as a full chronology of video game systems and generations.

;)

AJ

Oh, yes, what a glaring omission because my post was clearly intended as a full chronology of video game systems and generations.

;)

AJ

Well, I actually pointed it out specifically, as it was a mid-generational device. Better than the PSX and N64 generation, but lesser than the PS2, Gamecube, XBox generatoin.

Well, I actually pointed it out specifically, as it was a mid-generational device. Better than the PSX and N64 generation, but lesser than the PS2, Gamecube, XBox generatoin.

And maybe that is a key reason why Sega got run out of the hardware business years ago.

;)

AJ

And maybe that is a key reason why Sega got run out of the hardware business years ago.

;)

AJ

Le shrug. It's one of many, many reasons. The Dreamcast was a great system with great games (it continued the trend of "Arcade at Home" that made the SNES so popular), but it wasn't fated to be.

I still have mine, several controllers, a bunch of games, and a larger bunch of burned games (another big reason it failed).

Le shrug. It's one of many, many reasons. The Dreamcast was a great system with great games (it continued the trend of "Arcade at Home" that made the SNES so popular), but it wasn't fated to be.

Neo Geo was the "arcade at home."

AJ

I loved my Dreamcast. I still have my Sega Saturn, too. Sega always came through with awesome systems and games.

Nah, I have never understood the Sega allure.  Nintendo has had so many superior first and third party franchises that have spawned so many great games.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy (and other Square RPGs), etc.

AJ

Sonic, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, House of the Dead, Phantasy Star, Panzer Dragoon, Nights, Soul Caliber, Jet set Radio, Ecco the dolphin, 2K Sports... Sega had a few hits, as well...

• Like 1

Sonic, nothing outstanding, nothing significant, nothing important, etc.

I edited your list for you.  Sonic, yes.  The other franchises, no.  Only one Sonic the Hedgehog game might qualify as one of the 50 greatest video games of all time.  The Nintendo franchises that I mentioned would all have at least one game in that pantheon.  Some of them would have multiple games.  And that is by consensus.  Maybe you have odd taste, but Sega could not back up its hardware with enough compelling games.  That is what brought the downfall of Sega.

AJ

I edited your list for you.  Sonic, yes.  The other franchises, no.  Only one Sonic the Hedgehog game might qualify as one of the 50 greatest video games of all time.  The Nintendo franchises that I mentioned would all have at least one game in that pantheon.  Some of them would have multiple games.  And that is by consensus.  Maybe you have odd taste, but Sega could not back up its hardware with enough compelling games.  That is what brought the downfall of Sega.

AJ

I'm sorry, did you just say that Soul Calibur (exceptionally popular fighting game series) and Phantasy Star Online (the freaking mother of all modern MMOs; a major paradigm shift for both the MMO format and for console games) aren't significant and important!? C'mon man! Don't do this to me!

I'm sorry, did you just say that Soul Calibur (exceptionally popular fighting game series) and Phantasy Star Online (the freaking mother of all modern MMOs; a major paradigm shift for both the MMO format and for console games) aren't significant and important!? C'mon man! Don't do this to me!

Yes, I did.  Do you have a problem with that, bro?

tumblr_m7yssoIP9s1qzv8iwo1_500.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

Yes, I did.  Do you have a problem with that, bro?

AJ

Oh c'mon, you're just being ridiculous!

I'm gonna go ahead and wax nostalgic about Phantasy Star now, and be sad that they let such a legendary series atrophy so badly. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Nah, I have never understood the Sega allure.  Nintendo has had so many superior first and third party franchises that have spawned so many great games.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy (and other Square RPGs), etc.

AJ

Sega was always considered the better players console, especially the Genesis.

The Genesis was one of the best consoles I have ever owned. I know they weren't as popular, but once I got the Sega CD/32x combo for it, I was in gaming nirvana. Also, how amazing was it when you got Sonic and Knuckles and you could replay every Sonic game with Knuckles. Until the Gamecube came out, I was pretty much sold on the Sega/Nintendo combination. I feel that with the NGC, Nintendo has began to fall into irrelevance on the hardware side.

The Genesis was one of the best consoles I have ever owned. I know they weren't as popular, but once I got the Sega CD/32x combo for it, I was in gaming nirvana. Also, how amazing was it when you got Sonic and Knuckles and you could replay every Sonic game with Knuckles. Until the Gamecube came out, I was pretty much sold on the Sega/Nintendo combination. I feel that with the NGC, Nintendo has began to fall into irrelevance on the hardware side.

It goes in cycles. Atari ruled for years until Colecovision. Then Nintendo took out Coleco. Sega was strong for a number of years but failed to live up to the might of nintendo and Sony. Then Microsoft entered the fray and nintendo is being squeezed by Sony and MS. Its nintendos turn. Its a testament to them that they have lasted as long as they have. After Nintendo bows out I think the cycle will end. Sony and MS will rule unless somebody with money and influence introduces a product that changes the video game paradigm. 

I'm going to be getting both consoles at launch, but last night's Sony conference was very exciting with announcement of the PSVita TV!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/ps-vita-tv-launch-date/

Definitely will be picking up one or two of these so I can game on any of my TV's without having to move the PS4 around. Finally Sony is doing something right with remote play.

...oh and I guess it plays PSVita games and streams video through their content providers (Netflix, Hulu, etc). This thing might end up replacing a Roku, Ouya, and similar devices. :tu:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4.

I'm going to be getting both consoles at launch, but last night's Sony conference was very exciting with announcement of the PSVita TV!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/ps-vita-tv-launch-date/

Definitely will be picking up one or two of these so I can game on any of my TV's without having to move the PS4 around. Finally Sony is doing something right with remote play.

...oh and I guess it plays PSVita games and streams video through their content providers (Netflix, Hulu, etc). This thing might end up replacing a Roku, Ouya, and similar devices. :tu:

Talk about a slap in the face to Vita owners.  I've been waiting to do this with my Vita so i wouldn't have to buy a PS3/4.

Talk about a slap in the face to Vita owners. I've been waiting to do this with my Vita so i wouldn't have to buy a PS3/4.

Not sure if it's a real slap to the face of Vita owners, like me, as I'll still be able to play most PS4 games on the handheld, even if I'm not at home or out traveling... as long there is fast enough wifi to use. :P

Not sure if it's a real slap to the face of Vita owners, like me, as I'll still be able to play most PS4 games on the handheld, even if I'm not at home or out traveling... as long there is fast enough wifi to use. :P

wait so i can play the NEW ps4 games on the vita?  grrr to this console war!

To add, with Gaikai service coming in 2014, it sounds like you'll also be able to play the PS1/PS2/PS3 catalog on the PS4, which will also be able to be streamed to the Vita via Remote Play.  PS4 is definitely the best value on paper.

As for the Xbox One, like many, Xbox 360 was always my first choice in console when it came to big games, and my PS3 would fill in the gaps where the 360 wouldn't get a release.  Disappointed they are removing Media Center, since I use that feature ALL the time, but I'm satisfied that they are allowing the removal of Kinect from the system at all times.  The DRM thing sounded OK, but I wasn't sold.  Just hoping they'll get some good games to get me really excited.