Video Game Discussion (Was: So...which next gen console are you getting?)

Ascertion

Xbox One or PS4?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which console are you getting?

• Xbox One
    • Playstation 4
    • Wii-U
    • PC Master race has no reason to buy one of these pieces of junk!
    • Still Deciding...

For those of you with online problems via Battlefield 4 (ie: Getting the error "Cannot connect to EA servers.  Online functions will be unavailable.") You'll have to wire the Xbox One to get it working (for some reason, wireless breaks stuff.)

I had that issue all week with Battlefield 4 and once I found out it was only me I decided to plug it in wired and it worked.  Rather annoying but as long as I can play it's all good.

For those of you with online problems via Battlefield 4 (ie: Getting the error "Cannot connect to EA servers.  Online functions will be unavailable.") You'll have to wire the Xbox One to get it working (for some reason, wireless breaks stuff.)

I had that issue all week with Battlefield 4 and once I found out it was only me I decided to plug it in wired and it worked.  Rather annoying but as long as I can play it's all good.

How are you liking it other than that?  I think the multitasking and cable control features look pretty cool.

• Like 1

well at least there is one smart person in the house lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Sold the PS4 this morning. My son bought the Xbone. It seems decent but not something I would have bought. The hooking up your HD receiver to it is kind of silly. Then on top of that you have to leave it running to watch TV.

I hooked up my old Xbox. Those were fun to mod. Was playing some old NES and NeoGeo emulators on the big screen. Never gets old.

• Like 1

How are you liking it other than that?  I think the multitasking and cable control features look pretty cool.

The multitasking is AWESOME!  I had to open my ports via router and create a static address on my Xbox One and I did it all without my game closing.  Also, the snap-app let's you use any app on the right side of the screen while you're in game.  It is pretty awesome, although I do wish it was able to be resized or scaled because the split screen feature is only available in one size and it's hard to make out certain things in a show.

The voice commands are awesome, too.  Being able to navigate to Netflix by just walking into the room and the Xbox is off, it can turn on by saying "Xbox On".  

I mostly went with Xbox because I already had a Gold membership and the controllers are much nicer to hold in the hand.  I got te rechargable kit for one of my controllers and it charges with a micro-USB cable.  

The bads? 

Only 1 USB port on the front (more on the side, but near the front.) 

It's pretty big, but I don't care much about the cosmetics of my console because I'm looking at the TV when I'm using my console.

The ports needed to be opened via my router and it's the first time I had to do it.  My 360 never had that issue.  Not sure why.

The titles that are launched so far for Xbox One (also talking about multiplatform) are so limited.  There's not a huge selection of games yet, but I do believe 2014 will be a great year with TitanFall and possibly Fallout 4. 

And of course, what I mentioned earlier.  

Sold the PS4 this morning. My son bought the Xbone. It seems decent but not something I would have bought. The hooking up your HD receiver to it is kind of silly. Then on top of that you have to leave it running to watch TV.

I hooked up my old Xbox. Those were fun to mod. Was playing some old NES and NeoGeo emulators on the big screen. Never gets old.

I got those on emulators on my phone.  The N64 games are kind of hard to control sometimes, though.  I really enjoy playing the classic Gameboy games, though.  The SNES games are great on the phone, too.

I guess I just like Xbox online play. Until Sony gets that right I'll stick with Microsoft. Haven't hooked one up to the main system yet so not sure how all that will play out. Graphics are a big improvement.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Who cares? They all sold out basically every one they both made. It's far far too early to draw any conclusions from either consoles sales. Wait till a few months in and we will have a better idea.

As stated earlier. This may be history repeating itself. The PS3 never really recovered from its slow stateside sales.

As stated earlier. This may be history repeating itself. The PS3 never really recovered from its slow stateside sales.

the PS3 sold fine. I think the market is completely fine with supporting two consoles at this point. The Wii U is the only one that's going to suffer because of sales numbers.

the PS3 sold fine. I think the market is completely fine with supporting two consoles at this point. The Wii U is the only one that's going to suffer because of sales numbers.

Not stateside. It took the PS3 almost seven years to catch up to the Xbox 360 sales in the US. Most people would argue that it only happened because of the price cut which brings me back to my original point. I think consumers in the United States are only willing to spend but so much for a console. 3-400 dollars may be the sweet spot.

Not stateside. It took the PS3 almost seven years to catch up to the Xbox 360 sales in the US. Most people would argue that it only happened because of the price cut which brings me back to my original point. I think consumers in the United States are only willing to spend but so much for a console. 3-400 dollars may be the sweet spot.

of course they sell better when they're cheaper. More people can afford them. People can pick up the other console if they want. It is always helpful to be more affordable.

That doesn't mean you can't have success at $500. Don't forget the PS3 was $599. That's a way different feeling. Plus Microsoft isn't making a game console only. They're making a home entertainment box. Say what you want but the kinect voice and HDMI in one guide overlay are a huuuge value add for a lot of people that make the $100 delta between xbox and playstation disappear very quickly.

I think both will do just fine.

of course they sell better when they're cheaper. More people can afford them. People can pick up the other console if they want. It is always helpful to be more affordable.

That doesn't mean you can't have success at $500. Don't forget the PS3 was $599. That's a way different feeling. Plus Microsoft isn't making a game console only. They're making a home entertainment box. Say what you want but the kinect voice and HDMI in one guide overlay are a huuuge value add for a lot of people that make the $100 delta between xbox and playstation disappear very quickly.

I think both will do just fine.

We are just going to have to disagree. While the PS3 might have done "fine" at $599 it did not sell enough to justify the loss that Sony was taking on each one. Also remember that the PS3 was the multimedia platform of its day much like the One is doing now. Yes you got more for your money but where you willing to spend that much. I have no doubt that both will do fine. What i believe is that you will see a flip flop of the sales situation from 2006-07 simply because the two have exchanged market strategies.

When the PS3 came out, blu-Ray was heavily embattled with HD-DVD. there was no clear cut winner yet so that advantage was largely unproven until a year or two into the generation. Oddly enough that's when the PS3 hit its stride and the price started to come down and games started being worth the investment.

The xbox one is a hundred bucks cheaper than the PS3 was and comes with kinect. And plays blu rays too. It's a better value than PS3 was when it came out.

I understand your desire to compare them, I just think the markets are very different now. And the prices are still different than they were last time. And if anything, the xbox has a slightly better launch lineup and with titanfall looming large, I don't see that perception changing soon.

The multitasking is AWESOME! I had to open my ports via router and create a static address on my Xbox One and I did it all without my game closing. Also, the snap-app let's you use any app on the right side of the screen while you're in game. It is pretty awesome, although I do wish it was able to be resized or scaled because the split screen feature is only available in one size and it's hard to make out certain things in a show.

The voice commands are awesome, too. Being able to navigate to Netflix by just walking into the room and the Xbox is off, it can turn on by saying "Xbox On".

I mostly went with Xbox because I already had a Gold membership and the controllers are much nicer to hold in the hand. I got te rechargable kit for one of my controllers and it charges with a micro-USB cable.

The bads?

Only 1 USB port on the front (more on the side, but near the front.)

It's pretty big, but I don't care much about the cosmetics of my console because I'm looking at the TV when I'm using my console.

The ports needed to be opened via my router and it's the first time I had to do it. My 360 never had that issue. Not sure why.

The titles that are launched so far for Xbox One (also talking about multiplatform) are so limited. There's not a huge selection of games yet, but I do believe 2014 will be a great year with TitanFall and possibly Fallout 4.

And of course, what I mentioned earlier.

Didn't have to open any ports here. That's an odd one.

I did so playing around with the kill-a-watt meter on the 360 and the Xbox one. The 360 pulls almost 80 watts on average. The Xbox one stayed around 40. It jumped to 50 for the TV pass through deal. Then here was the kicker. To do that cute little "Xbox on" thing, it burns a nice 25 watts while it is off. Wow! Even my son said he's putting it on a power strip by itself so he can just flip the switch so it isn't running all the time.

Didn't have to open any ports here. That's an odd one.

I did so playing around with the kill-a-watt meter on the 360 and the Xbox one. The 360 pulls almost 80 watts on average. The Xbox one stayed around 40. It jumped to 50 for the TV pass through deal. Then here was the kicker. To do that cute little "Xbox on" thing, it burns a nice 25 watts while it is off. Wow! Even my son said he's putting it on a power strip by itself so he can just flip the switch so it isn't running all the time.

I noticed that my controller recharges (also charged my phone with my Xbox One.) while the system is off.  You think disabling the Kinect via settings then turning it off does anything to prevent unnecessary power draw?

I noticed that my controller recharges (also charged my phone with my Xbox One.) while the system is off. You think disabling the Kinect via settings then turning it off does anything to prevent unnecessary power draw?

We didn't get the charging option one as we already have a nice battery charger and a slew of rechargeable batteries. I suspect that option is like with laptops and PC's where you can turn on the pass through to charge devices while the computer is off.

I haven't messed with the Kinect on it yet besides a simple Skype call. I will mess with it later. Based on the average electricity costs the 25 watts all year is about $20 a year. Just think of it as a small heater for the winter ;) My son's room is already hot enough though with my telecom/server cabinet fan dumping through a wall vent into his closet and into his room.

When the PS3 came out, blu-Ray was heavily embattled with HD-DVD. there was no clear cut winner yet so that advantage was largely unproven until a year or two into the generation. Oddly enough that's when the PS3 hit its stride and the price started to come down and games started being worth the investment.

The xbox one is a hundred bucks cheaper than the PS3 was and comes with kinect. And plays blu rays too. It's a better value than PS3 was when it came out.

I understand your desire to compare them, I just think the markets are very different now. And the prices are still different than they were last time. And if anything, the xbox has a slightly better launch lineup and with titanfall looming large, I don't see that perception changing soon.

You are arguing perception of greater value driving sales regardless of the price. I'm arguing that there is a point of diminishing returns regardless of the perception of value. Time will tell who is right.

I'm really loving the integration of my G2 with the ps4. Gives me a good reason to play with my phone while I play with my new console, both of which I am enjoying thoroughly, even though I started having a weird power loop problem with knock on. (Soon as I would knock on the phone, and slide to unlock it would reboot. RTN and factory default cleared it up it seems)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

In other news....

Official sales statistics from Chart-Track have confirmed that the PlayStation 4 has become the fastest-selling console in U.K. history, a record previously held by PlayStation Portable (PSP).

The PSP had notched up 185,000 sales during a similar launch window and though Chart-Track does not reveal the exact amount of PS4s sold thus far, it states that it has surpassed launch sales of the PSP, Xbox One and PS3.

In the PS4 videogame charts, Killzone Shadow Fall was the most bought game at U.K. launch with EA’s FIFA 14 and Battlefield 4 taking second and third spot.

Check out the reviews of the PS4 launch titles.

• 1 year later...

So, Fallout 4 is coming out tomorrow.  This is essentially the reason I bought an Xbox One.  I'm quite excited about the release!  Then next week, the new Starwars Battlefront game comes out (The Beta was AWESOME!)

Anyone else hyped?

• Like 1

So, Fallout 4 is coming out tomorrow. This is essentially the reason I bought an Xbox One. I'm quite excited about the release! Then next week, the new Starwars Battlefront game comes out (The Beta was AWESOME!)

Anyone else hyped?

Loved the star wars battlefront beta and am definitely getting it. Just ordered Halo 5 and COD Black Ops 3 as well. It is going to be a busy gaming season.
  • Like 1

Loved the star wars battlefront beta and am definitely getting it. Just ordered Halo 5 and COD Black Ops 3 as well. It is going to be a busy gaming season.

I'm totally on the fence with Halo 5.  I really loved Halo 3, the ones after that to me were just average.  So far, I've heard great things about it.

I'm almost done with Halo 5 and loved every minute of it, team Xbox One for life. Now that backwards compatibility is available, some of my older favorites can still be played, which allows me to finally get rid of the Xbox 360.

• Like 2