Sprint interested in the 1755-1780 spectrum?

bigsnake49

U.S. Representatives Doris Matsui and Brett Guthrie reintroduced legislation today that would require the spectrum between 1755MHz and 1780MHz be reallocated and auctioned for commercial mobile broadband use. Matsui introduced a similar act last year, which followed recommendations made by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) that suggested the government might be able to share that spectrum block with consumers. The industry was quick to applaud the act. "Sprint commends Congresswoman Matsui and Congressman Guthrie for recognizing that more spectrum needs to be made available to support the growing consumer demand for wireless broadband services," said Larry Krevor, vice president of Government Affairs for Sprint. "We support efforts like this measure which maximize the efficient use of the public airwaves."

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12678

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

I think it's just a nod to the government for making more spectrum available. 

I don't think so. They usually don't just comment on something for the sake of commenting. Either Sprint is participating or is happy that another piece of spectrum is available so that nobody else bids on PCS H.

Sprint should show that they are interested in this spectrum block to the other carriers.  It can be a ploy so that it helps detract attention from the PCS H block OR maybe they are truly interested in this new spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of the US and Canada, the AWS band actually includes an extra block, which is 1755-1770 MHz UL / 2155-2170 MHz DL. The superset band class for it is band 10. It's used for both UMTS and LTE. Sprint may be interested in band 10 for its international compatibility and so that it would get into the AWS game as the other three have.

Personally, I think it is a bit of a stretch. Ideally, I'd like to see the 25MHz FDD channel divided into one 10MHz FDD channel and three 5MHz FDD channels. I'd like to see T-Mobile pick up a 5MHz channel contiguous with the AWS F block, and Sprint picking up a 10MHz FDD block placed after that, with the remaining 5MHz FDD blocks being fought over by AT&T and Verizon.

Outside of the US and Canada, the AWS band actually includes an extra block, which is 1755-1770 MHz UL / 2155-2170 MHz DL. The superset band class for it is band 10. It's used for both UMTS and LTE. Sprint may be interested in band 10 for its international compatibility and so that it would get into the AWS game as the other three have.

Personally, I think it is a bit of a stretch. Ideally, I'd like to see the 25MHz FDD channel divided into one 10MHz FDD channel and three 5MHz FDD channels. I'd like to see T-Mobile pick up a 5MHz channel contiguous with the AWS F block, and Sprint picking up a 10MHz FDD block placed after that, with the remaining 5MHz FDD blocks being fought over by AT&T and Verizon.

I would have liked Sprint to have picked up Leap and Metro just so that Sprint would have picked up another standard frequency.

I would have liked Sprint to have picked up Leap and Metro just so that Sprint would have picked up another standard frequency.

No way would the FCC allow Sprint to pick up Leap and MetroPCS.  Only 1 or the other.  I am glad Tmobile picked up MetroPCS in a way because they really needed spectrum and customers and their spectrum portfolios compliment each other.  Since Leap is smaller than MetroPCS and Sprint had a roaming agreement with them, I would have liked to see Sprint pick up Leap for the PCS spectrum and it had AWS spectrum for Sprint to pick up another frequency.

No way would the FCC allow Sprint to pick up Leap and MetroPCS.  Only 1 or the other.  I am glad Tmobile picked up MetroPCS in a way because they really needed spectrum and customers and their spectrum portfolios compliment each other.  Since Leap is smaller than MetroPCS and Sprint had a roaming agreement with them, I would have liked to see Sprint pick up Leap for the PCS spectrum and it had AWS spectrum for Sprint to pick up another frequency.

One of the reasons why I wanted Sprint to have picked up Metro is that they have a very good network in Florida plus they would have added to Sprint's PCS holdings in Florida, Dallas and the SF Bay area. All areas are important to me in my travels.

No way would the FCC allow Sprint to pick up Leap and MetroPCS.  Only 1 or the other.  

You simply can't be certain of that. There would've been little overlap as MetroPCS and Leap didn't compete in very many of the same markets. So what would've been the FCC's objections?

• Like 1

No, it's not interested in that spectrum.

600/800/1900/2500 will be enough for the foreseeable future.

Roaming? Sprint is gonna buy some spectrum, new bands in its handsets, replace the panels AGAIN just so the 1% or whatever of its subs who roam internationally can have LTE on AWS?

HSPA+ is plenty fast enough for roaming with only 4 bands longterm, much easier to support. Iphone already includes it even on CDMA versions and if sprint wants all its smartphones to have roaming, it'll mandate HSPA+.

Get into the AWS game? Why do people think Sprint NEEDS to have a band just because "everyone else has it"?

Sprint should show that they are interested in this spectrum block to the other carriers. It can be a ploy so that it helps detract attention from the PCS H block OR maybe they are truly interested in this new spectrum.

Right. Cause only Sprint has 7-figure consultants who plot how to trick the other guys.

Yeah Sprint should just stick to 800/1900/2500 and probably 600 if they bid for it.

Not if they acquire/merge with T-Mobile :).

Edited by bigsnake49

Why does everyone want sprint to merge with tmo? I feel that sprint has a lot going on right now. So does tmo. I feel at this point we don't need any more consolidation in the US. It would be great to see four national carriers instead of three. Also as Eric said Sprint should stick with their three bands and maybe purchase some 600 band later on.

Sent from my EVO

• Like 1

A benefit of acquiring T-Mobile is that it would likely shut up John Legere.

AJ

• Like 10

Not if they acquire/merge with T-Mobile :).

If that ever happens then Sprint will have to cross that bridge and deal with it then.  However given all the tasks that Sprint has announced in their Q2 CC that they are trying to accomplish within the next 2-3 years, their funds will be tied up in this network expansion process.  I don't see it happening in the near future.

Why does everyone want sprint to merge with tmo? I feel that sprint has a lot going on right now. So does tmo. I feel at this point we don't need any more consolidation in the US. It would be great to see four national carriers instead of three. Also as Eric said Sprint should stick with their three bands and maybe purchase some 600 band later on.

Sent from my EVO

I agree. I really like what John Legere has done with the Tmobile USA brand in almost his 1 year  as CEO.  He definitely brings enthusiasm and the willingness to shake up the wireless industry with the Uncarrier phone plans, the JUMP program and executing nicely on their LTE network overlay launching LTE in many markets.  I am curious to see their Q2 postpaid adds and customer growth at their CC.  I really want Tmobile to succeed as a 4th major competitor in the wireless industry.  It would be nice to have an great alternative in case Sprint doesn't work out for me.

• Like 3

I can see T and VZ all over this spectrum and maybe even tmo. Sprint will probably be focusing on the three bands they have and possibly acquiring H block. Tmo has been grabbing the attention of a lot of people lately. Honestly until about 4 months ago I wouldn't even consider tmo in my choice of carriers.

Sent from my EVO

• Like 1

Or he might become the new CEO of the merged company :). Now wouldn't that be funny?

Yes, funny, hilarious, ludicrous...

AJ

If they would make John Legre the CEO of a Sprint-T-Mobile merger, I'd leave at the soonest available oportunity.

To where, one of the twin bells? Maybe USCC if they're still around? In that situation you'd have to hope the FCC requires Lincoln and Omaha to be divested to Viaero or get used to data caps. This is why I'm against such a merger... I still believe fundamentally that 4 national carriers is better than 3, as among other things it gives those of us who refuse to contribute to the duopoly more than one option. T-Mo may have crappy rural coverage but they are doing some great things to shake up the wireless industry which Sprint is far from doing. For example, good luck taking a Sprint phone with a removable SIM (Photon, S4, One, etc) to another domestic carrier. Not even VZW locks their global phones down like that anymore (granted, I think that's because of an FCC mandate). And with T-Mo bringing back unlimited maybe one day we'll see the bells have to bring that back to compete. Legere creeps me out too, but he's only one guy, after all.

• Like 1

To where, one of the twin bells? Maybe USCC if they're still around? In that situation you'd have to hope the FCC requires Lincoln and Omaha to be divested to Viaero or get used to data caps. This is why I'm against such a merger... I still believe fundamentally that 4 national carriers is better than 3, as among other things it gives those of us who refuse to contribute to the duopoly more than one option. T-Mo may have crappy rural coverage but they are doing some great things to shake up the wireless industry which Sprint is far from doing. For example, good luck taking a Sprint phone with a removable SIM (Photon, S4, One, etc) to another domestic carrier. Not even VZW locks their global phones down like that anymore (granted, I think that's because of an FCC mandate). And with T-Mo bringing back unlimited maybe one day we'll see the bells have to bring that back to compete. Legere creeps me out too, but he's only one guy, after all.

Yeah, I probably would go USCC, provided they don't get bought. If they would get bought, then I'd have to take a good look at the options available.

And yes, the unlocked SIM for Verizon is because of FCC mandate on 700 MHz spectrum they bought. Also, I feel like that's something that SoftBank will change as they start to really take over.

Yes, funny, hilarious, ludicrous...

AJ

What's wrong with him? Good looking, well spoken, aggressive, gets things accomplished. You guys need to take things less personally. Just because he picks on Sprint .....