Sprint interested in the 1755-1780 spectrum?

bigsnake49

T-Mo may have crappy rural coverage but they are doing some great things to shake up the wireless industry which Sprint is far from doing.

Awfully short sighted statement. Sprint is one if not the only reason "unlimited" returned to tmo when it did. Had Sprint let unlimited go, it would have permanently become something we talked about on of those "I love the 00's" shows.

If a brand new phone with a debt commitment instead of a contract and a loud mouth middle aged man in magenta with a bolshy twitter assistant is "shaking up" the industry.... ehh, we all need to get out more.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Getting back on-topic...

Freeing up 25+ MHz (or maybe even 25x25?) of AWS spectrum gives Sprint a decent reason to get into the AWS game (like they would've if SpectrumCo didn't end up siding with VZW). At the risk, of course, of either creating a standardized LTE band across all four carriers (God forbid, right?)...or ending up with a Band 12/17 debacle where Sprint buys all of the newly minted corp-licensed AWS and everyone else just keeps turning out older-AWS-band LTE phones.

Then again, the second scenario would mean that Sprint would get a nice chunk of spectrum in the PCS-ish range to slap LTE onto, and maybe some roaming partners who used the same spectrum.

I can see T and VZ all over this spectrum and maybe even tmo. Sprint will probably be focusing on the three bands they have and possibly acquiring H block. Tmo has been grabbing the attention of a lot of people lately. Honestly until about 4 months ago I wouldn't even consider tmo in my choice of carriers.

Sent from my EVO

Maybe TMO? Maybe?

No low band spectrum is the ONLY reason why TMO sucks.

And sprint will get at least 5x5 if for no other reason than to move to volte.

Getting back on-topic...

Freeing up 25+ MHz (or maybe even 25x25?) of AWS spectrum gives Sprint a decent reason to get into the AWS game (like they would've if SpectrumCo didn't end up siding with VZW). At the risk, of course, of either creating a standardized LTE band across all four carriers (God forbid, right?)...or ending up with a Band 12/17 debacle where Sprint buys all of the newly minted corp-licensed AWS and everyone else just keeps turning out older-AWS-band LTE phones.

Then again, the second scenario would mean that Sprint would get a nice chunk of spectrum in the PCS-ish range to slap LTE onto, and maybe some roaming partners who used the same spectrum.

Sprint buying ALL the 25x25? I don't think so. That'd be much moola. Especially given the timing of the future auction and NV.

There's enough for everyone to get extra 5x5 with one leftover.

Maybe TMO? Maybe?

And all that EDGE coverage. If they get good backhaul and LTE on all their sites, they'll be a serious competitor. For now, at least here in WMI, they're kinda a joke.

Maybe TMO? Maybe?

I don't see Sprint bidding on the AWS-3 spectrum especially since they'll probably be participating in the PCS H block and 600 MHz auctions already.  A 600/800/1900/2500 network is good enough.  Let Tmobile/ATT/Verizon fight for the AWS-3 spectrum.  At some point the FCC should enforcing LTE roaming on all the carriers.

I don't see Sprint bidding on the AWS-3 spectrum especially since they'll probably be participating in the PCS H block and 600 MHz auctions already. A 600/800/1900/2500 network is good enough. Let Tmobile/ATT/Verizon fight for the AWS-3 spectrum. At some point the FCC should enforcing LTE roaming on all the carriers.

What is there to enforce? Has sprint complained that Verizon won't agree to LTE roaming? TMO complained about ATT?

Sprint just reduced roaming limits for those new consumer friendly plans, remember? TMO already has the 7-year roaming agreement from breakup but they don't allow TMO subs to roam onto ATT's 3G.

Why should the FCC do anything with LTE roaming if sprint and TMO barely let you roam on 3G?

Edited by bluespruce1901

What is there to enforce? Has sprint complained that Verizon won't agree to LTE roaming? TMO complained about ATT? Sprint just reduced roaming limits for those new consumer friendly plans, remember? TMO already has the 7-year roaming agreement from breakup but they don't allow TMO subs to roam onto ATT's 3G. Why should the FCC do anything with LTE roaming if sprint and TMO barely let you roam on 3G?

This is the best point you've ever made.  How useful is 100MB of LTE roaming?

Robert

• Like 1

I (now) do think that softy should go for some AWS-3 but only if they get at least 10x10 or 15x15.

Sure they'd have 600/800/AWS-3/pcs/TDD phones but the VZW/sprint iphone 5 already has 5 bands - 1,3,5,13,25 - so I don't think that'd be a problem.

There are those - shortsighted - who's say "sprint already has 'enough' spectrum so why complicate things by adding another band?"

Enough for today, tomorrow, five years, sure. What about in 10 years? Look what happened with TMO and its no-show in 700 MHz auction. I guarantee you they regret not having one 5 MHz FDD block; it would've changed their destiny. Obviously, aws-3 wont be the dealbreaker for sprint as 700 mhz was for tmo but the point remains: you dont buy spectrum for today but for tomorrow.

Robert and AJ might say "it'd be cheaper, less complicated to just add small cells supporting pcs, TDD LTE" and if it is, then sprint should do that but they shouldn't not buy AWS-3 because they're unsure if they can afford it. TMO already made that mistake.

I found this TMO study regarding feasibility of spectrum sharing in AWS-3 uplink band and while its not relevant anymore since FCC is gonna clear it, it is interesting to see just how efficiently (cough, cough) federal users can use 25 MHz.

http://assets.fiercemarkets.com/public/commissioner-baker-presentation-7-19.ppt