Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

In reference to the above, I was curious, so I compiled this list of the existing operators that have CDMA2000 / EV-DO / LTE in the US, (compiled from Wikipedia)

Now, not taking Verizon or Cricket Wireless (being sold to AT&T) and only taking those with known subscribers, even if Softbank were to buy them, it would only amount to an increase of 8.88 million for a total of 61.76 subscribers from the existing 54.88.

tn_CDMA-EVDO-LTE-OperatorsUSA.png

I'm not financially able by any stretch of the imagination but I would think that the ROI won't be great enough to justify being able to buy out these operators. 

TS

If I were Sprint, I'd want USCC and C-Spire, some of the other "independents" are already part of Verizon's LTE in rural america program and thus are not good candidates, as they are already in the VZW pocket. If you can buy out those two, then you go to TMUS and offer to take their 700Mhz A block spectrum they bough from Verizon, or sell the 700Mhz you acquired from your regionals. If one of them can get substantial band 12 buildout, they won't both need to bid against each other in the 600 Mhz auction.

FWIW, they would not necessarily have to limit themselves to CDMA carriers. VZW has purchased GSM carriers before and GSM based carriers have purchased CDMA carriers (i.e. T-mobile buying MetroPCS, AT&T buying Cricket & CDMA assets of Alltel, etc.).

Good point

Sprint is likely going to have to rebuild the infrastructure of any CDMA carrier they buy to Network Vision standards anyway. That's the same level of investment of them buying a GSM carrier.

• Like 3

Sprint is likely going to have to rebuild the infrastructure of any CDMA carrier they buy to Network Vision standards anyway. That's the same level of investment of them buying a GSM carrier.

On the network side, you're right.  The big advantage of buying a CDMA provider over a GSM provider is on the device side.  The existing CDMA customers will likely be able to jump on the Sprint network quickly without purchasing a new device.  The GSM customers would be forced to migrate to a new phone on the new network when Sprint wants to get rid of the GSM network.  

Forcing customers to change devices is always a pain in the derriere.  It creates a negative image of the new provider with the existing customers.  However, it is now easier than ever for a GSM/CDMA carrier to combine networks.  And when there is one LTE ecosystem, it will be even better.

Robert

• Like 3

I am really curious to see what Mr. Son and company have up their sleeve with their announcement today.  I wonder if this is just smoke and mirrors.  I sure hope Sprint didn't expect a Sprint/Tmobile merger to be a walk in the park in terms of regulatory issues.  I think the FCC and the DOJ does like what it sees in how Tmobile has been shaking up the industry especially in what they did in FY 2013.   I think its only going to get harder and harder as time goes on especially if Tmobile starts gaining customers in Q1 and Q2 2014.  No mergers result in no casualties and I think the regulatory boards are afraid of a Sprint/Tmobile merger could kill the momentum and the Tmobile culture of being a consumer friendly carrier.   

• Like 1

In the forth quarter? Then i could see Son looking for an exist if the tmobile deal is off the table.

Why?  No new info, except to us.  He knew that back on December 31st.  He knew that was in the cards half way through the 4th Quarter.  It started just a few months after he took ownership of the company.  This is happening on his watch.  He's responsible.  What's Mr. Shrewd Billionaire going to do?  Cut and run?  He would look like an impotent fool.  He didn't even take one step to make it better, but bitch in a public article and date Legere.  Blowing kisses in his ear.

I give Masayoshi more credit than that.

Robert

• Like 4

2 million seems a stretch lol I'm expecting 350,000-500,000

It's a new source.  I was shocked.  Will see if it pans out.  But if AT&T, Verizon and Tmo all gained subscribers, where did they come from?  Only about 1/4 of them could be new to the market subscribers.

Robert

• Like 2

It's a new source.  I was shocked.  Will see if it pans out.  But if AT&T, Verizon and Tmo all gained subscribers, where did they come from?  Only about 1/4 of them could be new to the market subscribers.

Robert

That's going to take a hit on stocks if that pans out. They already have dropped since the Merger rumors

Wait didn't sprint lose 1.3 subs in Q2 due to the nextel shutdown which I understand but to lose even more during the holiday season that's unheard of.

Buying tmobile should be softbanks and sprints last priority, they should really use that "45 billion" to expedite spark & network vison, buy a regional carrier or two, and use the rest for marketing.

If tmobile & ATT can make a comeback I don't see why sprint can't.

I just don't understand smh

• Like 1

Why? No new info, except to us. He knew that back on December 31st. He knew that was in the cards half way through the 4th Quarter. It started just a few months after he took ownership of the company. This is happening on his watch. He's responsible. What's Mr. Shrewd Billionaire going to do? Cut and run? He would look like an impotent fool. He didn't even take one step to make it better, but bitch in a public article and date Legere.

Robert

What he looks like is irrelevent and again if he can sell his stake for a bit of a profit there is no egg on his face. Son bought Sprint on a turn around story, in fact he said sprint was in the midst of a turn around when he bought then. The lost of 2 million customers put the lie to that. That is the lost of over a billion in yearly revenue and the competitive landscape isnt getting better if tmobile remaind indepentdant.

What he looks like is irrelevent and again if he can sell his stake for a bit of a profit there is no egg on his face. Son bought Sprint on a turn around story, in fact he said sprint was in the midst of a turn around when he bought then. The lost of 2 million customers put the lie to that. That is the lost of over a billion in yearly revenue and the competitive landscape isnt getting better if tmobile remaind indepentdant.

There would be no way to measure Masayoshi except in degrees of failure if he pulled out on Sprint now.  He would have to commit Hari Kari to save face.

It would take him months or years to find someone to dump off Sprint to now anyway.  It will not take much to fix this from where Sprint is now.  But it will not fix itself.  He is going to have to do it himself.

Robert

• Like 2

There would be no way to measure Masayoshi except in degrees of failure if he pulled out on Sprint now.  He would have to commit Hari Kari to save face.

It would take him months or years to find someone to dump off Sprint to now anyway.  It will not take much to fix this from where Sprint is now.  But it will not fix itself.  He is going to have to do it himself.

Robert

Again, if true, I can't believe they gave Hesse a new contract and no execs have been canned.