LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

I find it weird that their was only one band listed in the priority. Plus it looks like you can't turn 25 off unfortunately.

I thought that was weird also.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I find it weird that their was only one band listed in the priority. Plus it looks like you can't turn 25 off unfortunately.

Could be because Band 41 and Band 26 is listed as Disable while Band 25 is the only one active. Could be all three are shown in the band priority list when all three are enabled. 

Could be because Band 41 and Band 26 is listed as Disable while Band 25 is the only one active. Could be all three are shown in the band priority list when all three are enabled. 

That's what I'm thinking.  I'll likely set it to 41>26>25 just to test things out in my area. And keep a lookout for the B26 rollout when it starts in Q4.

Unfortunately, I am not willing to test this. I have no desire to attempt to activate a phone this far away from the street date.

My intent was never for you to actually activate the device but to inquire someone who might know this information about whether it uses a CSIM or USIM.  I just would imagine that there would be some major hint of CSIM vs. USIM usage especially if you get a nice inventory of fresh CSIM cards within the next week. 

I would never ask you to do something that you were not allowed to do.  I know what you have already presented thus far is a great heads up.  Thank you for that.

My intent was never for you to actually activate the device but to inquire someone who might know this information about whether it uses a CSIM or USIM. I just would imagine that there would be some major hint of CSIM vs. USIM usage especially if you get a nice inventory of fresh CSIM cards within the next week.

I would never ask you to do something that you were not allowed to do. I know what you have already presented thus far is a great heads up. Thank you for that.

No new SIM cards yet

Are we sure it is a new card, or is the authentication different via software?

You cannot turn Band 25 off on the Netgear Zing hotspot, either.  You can put it as the lowest priority, though.  Only Band 26 and Band 41 can be turned off.  I think Sprint wants to protect people from trying to park on LTE 800.  And that's a good idea.  There is no reason to keep people from Parking on Band 41, though.  But that might be a remnant from when Clearwire would own and bill Sprint for Band 41 usage.

Robert

• Like 4

Doesn't it show B25 Enabled/Disabled in the pic?  Also of course it shows only 1 band in the band priority menu because only B25 is enabled.  If you enable B26 and B41 you should see an entry for B26 and B41 with a number 2 and 3. Logically if a band is disabled, why would it show up in the Band Priority list???  Lets just say I am confused why you are confused...haha. 

It could also be that B25 LTE will be nationwide in the very near future while B26 still has limitations in the IBEZ markets where they don't want you to turn it off and B41 still has a long long ways to go before it becomes nationwide.

No new SIM cards yet Are we sure it is a new card, or is the authentication different via software? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I don't know what it looks like on the computer since I don't work for Sprint but from what I have heard the way you activate the iPhone 5S/5C it uses a new authentication system via a CSIM (CDMA Subscriber Identity Module) card that stores a bunch of information on the SIM card to allow you to hot swap between LTE phones.

I am sure that the CSIM cards have a different SKU and from what Tim said above, he said there should be different SKUs for the CSIM and USIM cards

SIMCARD LTE 4FF USIM REMOVABLE   

SIMCARD LTEGSM 4FF CSIM REMOV2

Here is some more information of what information is stored on a CSIM card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSIM

CSIM Application File System

The CSIM application contains a file system with a number of parameters needed to operate on cdmaOne/CDMA2000 ("CDMA") networks. Each parameter, or a group of related parameters, is specified with a unique identifier with an implicit or explicit length, and is considered a separate Elementary File (EF). The following examples are taken from the 3GPP2 specification.[1]

• Encryption keys, provisioned by the operator.
  • Phone Number.
  • Call Counts.
  • Short Message Service Parameters.
  • Received Short Messages (255 bytes maximum per message).
  • IMSI (international mobile subscriber identifier).
  • TMSI (temporary mobile subscriber identifier, for position security).
  • UIMID (hardware identifier). Will be a pseudo (hashed) value if EUIMID is in use.
  • EUIMID. Either short form (based on MEID) or long form (based on ICCID).
  • ICCID. Present even if it is not used as EUIMID.
  • MEID (hardware identifier).
  • Analog (AMPS) operational parameters.
  • CDMA2000 home identifiers, such as SID and NID.
  • CDMA2000 zone-based registration parameters, telling the handset to register when it changes to a new operator-defined zone (SID/NID).
  • CDMA2000 distance-based registration parameters, telling the handset to register when it travels a certain distance (each CDMA2000 transmitter emits its GPS location).
  • Random parameters (slot cycle index) to use during CSMA access probes.
  • List of services available. If a service is not indicated as available in the CSIM, the mobile equipment shall not select this service. Examples include "Call Control", "SMS", "BCMCS Broadcast", "IP Location", etc. If a service is not in this table, the handset will not provide the service.
  • Multimode System Selection (MMSS) parameters.

Doesn't it show B25 Enabled/Disabled in the pic? Also of course it shows only 1 band in the band priority menu because only B25 is enabled. If you enable B26 and B41 you should see an entry for B26 and B41 with a number 2 and 3. Logically if a band is disabled, why would it show up in the Band Priority list??? Lets just say I am confused why you are confused...haha.

Figured it would show the priority list of capable bands even though it was enabled or disabled.

The true question is we hope those bands can be enabled once it is activated.

Figured it would show the priority list of capable bands even though it was enabled or disabled.

The true question is we hope those bands can be enabled once it is activated.

I guess I didn't think of it that way.  I just thought it made logical sense to me that if a band is disabled an entry in the band priority not showing up was reasonable.  But unfortunately we can't verify that once you enable B26 and B41 if two more entries will show up in the Band Priority menu but I assume that it will since it appears that this is how it is going to work.

This pic was like a early Christmas gift

Very limited time with it today. Obviously the device is not activated so I can't do to much as far as band selection and such. Also I don't have the MSL. Nothing in the quick start guide about LTE bands. On the plus side, the phone now permanently resides in my demo cabinet. I should have plenty of play time with it next time I am killing time. Hopefully Thursday provides that opportunity.

Doesn't the Note 3 also have that screen that shows a band 26 and band 41 selection?

Yes, it does.  But if it has the radios, they aren't active because they didn't pass FCC.

We think it's Galaxy Mega OS ported to the Note 3 and they just left that menu in there.

Before too many of you guys cream your pants, know that if the same screens appear on the Note 3 and G2, nothing from these screenshots indicates that the G2 will have band 26/41 active from the outset.  Do not jump to conclusions or get too excited.  You just set yourself up for potential disappointment.

AJ

And please do not quote huge pics.  The large screenshots were warranted because of the important info they contain.  But you do not need to include those huge pics over and over again in quoted responses.  I had to go in and edit out the quoted pics for several of you.

AJ

• Like 1

Before too many of you guys cream your pants, know that if the same screens appear on the Note 3 and G2, nothing from these screenshots indicates that the G2 will have band 26/41 active from the outset. Do not jump to conclusions or get too excited. You just set yourself up for potential disappointment.

AJ

Well, LG is training the Sprint employees on the Triband functionality. Seems redundant if they just disable it.
  • Like 1

Well, LG is training the Sprint employees on the Triband functionality. Seems redundant if they just disable it.

If it is currently enabled, the screenshot should reflect that.  So, I am just being the voice of reason and tempering the irrational exuberance.  Band 26/41 may be disabled for a period of time.

AJ

I personally don't mind that its disabled for the time being as long as it can be enabled. The fcc docs from the G2 made it look to be the most powerful 1900 LTE performer of any Sprint LTE device including the Note 3.

If it is currently enabled, the screenshot should reflect that. So, I am just being the voice of reason and tempering the irrational exuberance. Band 26/41 may be disabled for a period of time.

AJ

If it is currently enabled, the screenshot should reflect that.  So, I am just being the voice of reason and tempering the irrational exuberance.  Band 26/41 may be disabled for a period of time.

AJ

Newboyx said the phone isn't activated yet since he has not been given the direction to do so since it is so far away from release. Therefore we don't know if the B26 and B41 options are working yet and the screenshots will not reflect that.  He also said he doesn't know the MSL of the device which could be required in order to enable the B26 and B41 options.  Perhaps when you actually activate the device it will automatically enable B26 and B41.  Only time will tell.

I agree that we should still be cautious and not be overly excited about what was revealed today.  However it is still a nice piece of information to gather to help confirm if it is triband LTE or not.  

Either way, I am ready for the G2  to come out. I do hope it is fully enabled since there are active sites here broadcasting band 41, but I would be happy just to have LTE and some battery life again.

• Like 1

All the stuff I've seen is saying tri band and I talked to a LG rep today and handled a sprint G2 unfortunately the one she had was not activated. She said it has all 3 of sprints lte bands

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

• Like 1

Either way, I am ready for the G2  to come out. I do hope it is fully enabled since there are active sites here broadcasting band 41, but I would be happy just to have LTE and some battery life again.

This x10000000

The G2 is a really good device, even if Sprint has valid technical reasons for not enabling B41 out of the gate. My advice is not to buy the G2 because it has triband, but to buy it because it's a really good mobile device.