LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Um I think I am pretty much set on the LG G2.  The more I read about it the more I like it.  All the blogs say that the 3000 maH battery holds itself pretty well with heavy use.  The Nexus 5 is probably my backup option now that I think about it more since the HTC One Max is going to be too big for my liking even if its triband LTE.

However that 2300 maH battery on the Nexus 5 is a bit disappointing and even though it is stock Android some of the features like remote control (LG smart remote), multitasking (Samsung multiwindow, LG Qslide), the camera (not sure if it will have OIS feature), other LG software specific features, etc will be missing on stock Android for Nexus 5.  Besides if the bootloader is not locked on the LG G2, there will always be a developer community that is dedicated to bringing CM ROMs that are stock Android to the device so I am not too worried about that.  So because of these things, I am kinda leaning towards the LG G2 as the smartphone that has the right package for me and the best of both worlds.

Sounds like you have got yourself convinced. Just stop reading all these forums and pick one up :P

Sounds like you have got yourself convinced. Just stop reading all these forums and pick one up :P

The G2 won't be available to Sprint till November so they have a little time.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

I am pretty certain that 2500/2600 mhz is going to blanket most of Florida sooner rather than later since wimax was pretty widespread here. I have seen a few 800 mhz acceptance spots in south Florida and pretty sure I read someone in Tampa found 800 mhz. The reality is that triband is here and it is spreading faster than herpes in an Asian bathhouse. Anyone who thinks they could talk themselves into "being okay with" buying a non triband phone at this point is just fooling themselves. I understand that for the general buying population, there is no difference. But, this is S4GRU, and we are tech nerds at the core and not being a part of the future of this powerful new network is like drinking an O'Doul's beer. It's just not right.

So yeah, the LG G2 looks to be one awesome phone.

• Like 3

I still have to play with it for myself to convince myself that it is all that is hyped up to be.  I am basing my opinion off of tech reviews that review phones all the time and what I have read about on the features of the phone.

Besides the Sprint LG G2 isn't coming until late Oct/early Nov anyways so I can't just pick one up.

I am pretty certain that 2500/2600 mhz is going to blanket most of Florida sooner rather than later since wimax was pretty widespread here. I have seen a few 800 mhz acceptance spots in south Florida and pretty sure I read someone in Tampa found 800 mhz. The reality is that triband is here and it is spreading faster than herpes in an Asian bathhouse. Anyone who thinks they could talk themselves into "being okay with" buying a non triband phone at this point is just fooling themselves. I understand that for the general buying population, there is no difference. But, this is S4GRU, and we are tech nerds at the core and not being a part of the future of this powerful new network is like drinking an O'Doul's beer. It's just not right.

So yeah, the LG G2 looks to be one awesome phone.

Was this really the best analogy you can come up with.. :rofl:

Is 32 GB not enough for you? Verizon, Tmobile and ATT are selling the 32 GB model for $199 on 2 year contract. I expect Sprint would also sell the 32 GB model as well for $199. The removable battery is something you have to do deal with but the battery life from all the reviews I read is really good and can easily last a day.

32 would do it so that would work. I guess I could break down and get one of those big 10,000mah external bricks for camping trips and bike rides. The simplicity of just changing the battery was nice. Only thing left is the multi window that I used quite a bit at times.

Make it a solid RF performer like the optimus G was and you have a winner.

• Like 2

Make it a solid RF performer like the optimus G was and you have a winner.

I have both the HTC One and the LG Optimus G.  In the RF department, the One is as good as if not better than the Optimus G.  That is why I kept the Optimus G on my account for testing purposes for only a week.

AJ

I have both the HTC One and the LG Optimus G.  In the RF department, the One is as good as if not better than the Optimus G.  That is why I kept the Optimus G on my account for testing purposes for only a week.

AJ

How does the LG G2 RF performance numbers compare to the HTC One?

The Moto X went pass through the FCC back in May so its possible that it might have been one of the last phones to get single band LTE. I think you are analyzing it too much. Who cares if the GS4 mini hasn't been announced yet. Sprint is just timing the releases so that not one phone topples the sales over the other types of phones. The GS4 mini will be announced eventually and we have the FCC docs to prove that it is triband. Just because it hasn't been announced yet doesn't mean that they are still testing the unit. At that point its all about trying to ensure the product is ready for launch which most likely means inventory. Sprint could be getting word from its suppliers about estimates in terms of inventory that there are delays for that phone due to X number of reasons (supply chain making less GS4 minis in order to ramp up Note 3 production, customs delay, etc) and they don't feel comfortable about giving out a release date atm since they can't gauge the amount of inventory it will have by a certain date.

In terms of the Note 3, none of the other carriers have had FCC docs released yet and ATT is set to launch the Note 3 on Oct 1st. There is still plenty of time for Sprint to announce it. I think we will get an announcement of the Sprint Note 3 availability by the end of this week since today Sprint is going to make an announcement of the iPhone 5S availability. In terms of FCC docs for the Note 3, it can be any day now and even next week is not too late and it should be triband given the track record of the GS4 mini. Take a deep breath and just relax.

All FCC docs have been released for the Note 3, and I can confirm that Sprints version IS NOT triband capable. Please find the doc web addresses below!

ATT:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=566535&fcc_id=A3LSMN900T

Verizon:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=956586&fcc_id=A3LSMN900V

Sprint:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=134996&fcc_id=A3LSMN900P

T-Mobile

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=699139&fcc_id=A3LSMN900W8

How does the LG G2 RF performance numbers compare to the HTC One?

You can do the by the numbers comparison by looking at my FCC OET articles on the HTC One and LG G2.  But I am speaking of real world performance between the HTC One and LG Optimus G.  LTE wise, I noticed little, if any difference.  And the One holds CDMA1X 800 far longer than the Optimus G does.  So, in the end, I quickly went back to the One because it is arguably the handset with the best build quality and hand feel that has yet been made.

AJ

• Like 1

I worry, REALLY worry, about LG's lack of software support.  The hardware is so, so tempting and being with HTC for so long, I'd like to try something different (just to see) BUT I would hate to get this kick a$$ device and then realize that once the lipstick wears off, I've been suckered!  :td:   HTC is usually a little slow with our updates and source code releases BUT they do it, we get it. From what I keep seeing, LG just puts the device out (this is in the past of course) and that is about it. 

As heavily vested in the dev community as I am, I don't think I could deal with super stale software and lack of support from the OEM. Still going to keep an eye on this one but I won't be a release day guy on this (like I have been since the OG Evo for all the Sprint EVO/HTC flagship devices) one and will sit back and watch.  My One is great (just wish the cam had a bit more oomph to it), dev is going strong and we have a new software release in the chute right now so I'll be perfectly content for a good long while.  I just get jumpy around the 1yr mark and have to upgrade to a new device, call it, issues. :lol:  

• Like 1

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/lg-g2#pdpTab

Communication

• QSlide 2.0™, Slide Aside, Clip Tray, On–Call Notes, QuickMemo™, KnockON, Text Link, VuTalk, Guest Mode, Plug & Pop, Answer Me, Smart Ringtone, Smart Screen, Smart Video, Privacy Keeper, and Quiet Mode
  • Wireless Charging
  • Speakerphone
  • Languages supported – 60+; 50+ keyboard input languages
  • Simultaneous Voice and 4G LTE Data – browse the web or send email while on a voice call
  • Virtually limitless contacts (limited by 32 GB on–board memory)
  • TTY/TTD Compatible
  • Hearing Aid Compatibility = M3/T3

The Verizon version supports SVLTE... any chance our version does?

• Like 1

Communication

• QSlide 2.0™, Slide Aside, Clip Tray, On–Call Notes, QuickMemo™, KnockON, Text Link, VuTalk, Guest Mode, Plug & Pop, Answer Me, Smart Ringtone, Smart Screen, Smart Video, Privacy Keeper, and Quiet Mode
  • Wireless Charging
  • Speakerphone
  • Simultaneous Voice and 4G LTE Data – browse the web or send email while on a voice call
  • TTY/TTD Compatible

No the Sprint LG G2 doesn't support SVLTE as confirmed in the FCC docs and in AJ's article.  You can see that CDMA and LTE share the same transmission path.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-350-bande-%C3%A0-part-lg-g2-is-the-first-announced-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset/

• Like 1

No the Sprint LG G2 doesn't support SVLTE as confirmed in the FCC docs and in AJ's article.  You can see that CDMA and LTE share the same transmission path.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-350-bande-%C3%A0-part-lg-g2-is-the-first-announced-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset/

Ya just a fools hope.... EVERYONES LG G2 is SVLTE except Sprints darn it

But only one G2 supports both TDD and FDD LTE

Getting mad SICK of not being able to REPORT or get REPORTs on Waze while on the phone.... that being said I guess since theres hardly consistent LTE anywhere in New Jersey it doesnt really matter

I'm becoming impatient. LOL I want the dang thing now, especially since I'm hearing all of the great reviews from Verizon/AT&T users.  It'll get worse once T-Mobile users get it and brag. ;(

• Like 1

Communication

• Wireless Charging
  • Speakerphone
  • TTY/TTD Compatible

Not unless we got the wrong FCC doc, otherwise you're out of luck.

• Like 1