Softbank merger and unlimited data

bmattox79

Being as most other countries never had unlimited data and now sprint is the only carrier with truly unlimited data, what speculation is out there that if the Softbank merger goes through we will continue to receive unlimited data.

Being as most other countries never had unlimited data and now sprint is the only carrier with truly unlimited data, what speculation is out there that if the Softbank merger goes through we will continue to receive unlimited data.

Softbank's web site seems to say that you can get 1 line with unlimited 4G LTE for somewhere between $40 and $80 per month. It's not clear how much voice/text usage is included. Given that Softbank's Japanese pricing is quite aggressive (that's how they've radically increased their market share), it seems likely that their US pricing will also be aggressive.

• Like 1

Softbank's web site seems to say that you can get 1 line with unlimited 4G LTE for somewhere between $40 and $80 per month. It's not clear how much voice/text usage is included. Given that Softbank's Japanese pricing is quite aggressive (that's how they've radically increased their market share), it seems likely that their US pricing will also be aggressive.

I hope so, even though I get a discount from my job, I still think I pay a ridiculously high amount for what I honestly use.

-Luis

I hope so, even though I get a discount from my job, I still think I pay a ridiculously high amount for what I honestly use.

If you think that you pay too much for what you use, then you do not want unlimited data. You want at least a tiered data option that could allow you to pay less for what you actually use.

AJ

If you think that you pay too much for what you use, then you do not want unlimited data. You want at least a tiered data option that could allow you to pay less for what you actually use.

AJ

Sorry, let me clarify. I don't use voice or text that much, I dislike having to pay for 1500 minutes to receive unlimited data on a family plan. That's what I meant to say, don't assume I don't want unlimited data, that's the reason I left T-mo when they switched all their plans, and probably the only reason I'm staying with Sprint.

What I would like it a small voice plan, with unlimited data. But that's just me, I get better service with Sprint regardless, so that's the price I pay.

-Luis

• Like 2

Sorry, let me clarify. I don't use voice or text that much, I dislike having to pay for 1500 minutes to receive unlimited data on a family plan. That's what I meant to say, don't assume I don't want unlimited data, that's the reason I left T-mo when they switched all their plans, and probably the only reason I'm staying with Sprint.

What I would like it a small voice plan, with unlimited data. But that's just me, I get better service with Sprint regardless, so that's the price I pay.

Well, I do not want unlimited data, which does two unfortunate things: it preys on psychological fears of overages, and it invites abuse.

Not to mention, I do pay too much for the 500 MB per month that I actually use.

But the unlimited data debate has been beaten to death in other threads, so we do not need to open that Pandora's box here, too.

As for large voice allotments and unlimited SMS, get used to it. If you want unlimited data, those other services come along for the ride because, with peaking or declining voice and SMS usage, operators have to shore up the revenue from those services to fund expansion of data services and still make a profit.

AJ

As for large voice allotments and unlimited SMS, get used to it. If you want unlimited data, those other services come along for the ride because, with peaking or declining voice and SMS usage, operators have to shore up the revenue from those services to fund expansion of data services and still make a profit.

What I would like doesn't translate in to what I get, that much I have learned to accept as such. I understand that companies have to capitalize as much on these services since they are in decline. It's just a matter of opinion.

-Luis

AJ

I think I pay too much for what I use because I almost never use my phone unless I am connected to WiFi BECAUSE I know that the 3G speeds are ridiculus. I will use tons more data once NV is complete.

Well, I do not want unlimited data

Well there are several other alternatives available to satisfy that desire. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I don't think you necessarily have to take unlimited away. Just force people onto profiles that implement network management of speeds so that excessive unlimited users don't drag down the network.

• Like 2

I don't think you necessarily have to take unlimited away. Just force people onto profiles that implement network management of speeds so that excessive unlimited users don't drag down the network.

This is the direction that I hope Sprint takes. I rarely use more than one gig a month but I like not having to think about my usage. I be perfectly happy with some sort of throttled speeds following a model similar to T-Mobile.

• Like 1

I think its essential to leave unlimited alone. If little Timmy uses 14GB of data watching youtube, online gaming, surfing the web, streaming music, video chat etc that should be completely acceptable. Parents fear data overages people!!

I also believe in order to be competitive Sprint does need to offer tiered data plans as well. 1GB,3GB,Unlimited. Tethering without a tethering plan should get you terminated, connection optimization should push the phone to WIFI where available.

I think its essential to leave unlimited alone. If little Timmy uses 14GB of data watching youtube, online gaming, surfing the web, streaming music, video chat etc that should be completely acceptable. Parents fear data overages people!!

I also believe in order to be competitive Sprint does need to offer tiered data plans as well. 1GB,3GB,Unlimited. Tethering without a tethering plan should get you terminated, connection optimization should push the phone to WIFI where available.

Little Timmy isn't able to tell if he gets throttled to 1Mbps.

Little Timmy isn't able to tell if he gets throttled to 1Mbps.

I could see a clause about throttling the highest 2 % of data consumers to 1mbps or so if they use an excessive amount of data over a short period, ie 2GB in 24 hours. I think i've used about 10GB one month before, i know that's high but i stick around for the unlimited.

i agree, some people just stream to stream because its unlimited andthat does lead to abuse. I use on average 4-6gb/month on my line, i just like the fact that i dont have to watch or worry how much data i use. As for speed throttling not for nothing if i can use 4-6gb with sprints current network speeds i dont think i would mind being throttled at 2 or 3mbps as long as its consistent. I stream netflix and other video apps not at an average of .75-.98mbps. :-)

omit "not" from the last line in my last post

Become a Sponsor, then you could go back and edit your posts (within six hours). ;)

In all seriousness, though, I recently succeeded in getting my brother to switch from Verizon to Sprint (VZW not carrying the HTC One helped a little), which I thought was a win for Sprint. However, after hearing how much data he's been using, I think maybe he should have stayed with Verizon and burden their network instead. I've gotten him to Wi-Fi offload more, but I worry that a lot more users will abuse the network as NV progresses and they realize that they no longer have slow data speeds.

• Like 1

unlimited data and no throttling for me!!!!!!! this was a not normal case but i was in dallas last fall on a business trip and ended up getting sick so spent the whole day in my hotel room streaming tv shows from my server at home. was my first time on LTE and ended up using a little over 30 gig :blink: once lte gets installed around here i can see myself using 15-20 gig per month. i use my phone a lot at work, where i can't wifi offload, to browse the internet and, once i have faster data speeds, stream videos.

unlimited data and no throttling for me!!!!!!! this was a not normal case but i was in dallas last fall on a business trip and ended up getting sick so spent the whole day in my hotel room streaming tv shows from my server at home. was my first time on LTE and ended up using a little over 30 gig :blink: once lte gets installed around here i can see myself using 15-20 gig per month. i use my phone a lot at work, where i can't wifi offload, to browse the internet and, once i have faster data speeds, stream videos.

Shouldn't you be "working" at work rather than streaming videos?

• Like 3

i'm an excellent multi tasker :)

I'm an excellent driver! Wopner...

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I'm an excellent driver! Wopner...

How is that Kmart underwear working out for you?

AJ

How is that Kmart underwear working out for you?

AJ

Blue light special on Hanes boxer briefs! WOOT!!!

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Blue light special on Hanes boxer briefs! WOOT!!!

Have you memorized the phone book yet?

AJ