TD-LTE and Clearwire

As wireless industry seems to be heating up and it seems even Verizon, is now (finally) interested in Clearwire, I did some Googling, and it seems that Clearwire last year had press releases that TD-LTE would be turned on in early 2013, with 31 hot-zones by summer of 2013. Is this still happening or has Clearwire been sitting on its hands doing nothing?

As wireless industry seems to be heating up and it seems even Verizon, is now (finally) interested in Clearwire, I did some Googling, and it seems that Clearwire last year had press releases that TD-LTE would be turned on in early 2013, with 31 hot-zones by summer of 2013. Is this still happening or has Clearwire been sitting on its hands doing nothing?

Clearwire doesn't do anything. Sprint, on the other hand, is planning on turning up LTE TDD on band 41 this summer.

Clearwire doesn't do anything. Sprint, on the other hand, is planning on turning up LTE TDD on band 41 this summer.

Clearwire has been working on their LTE upgrades. I'm not sure how fast of a pace, but they have been. Hopefully when they have their earnings call they will announce some updates, including device support. Their earnings call takes place on Thursday, with Sprint's on Wednesday.

• Like 2

So basically Clearwire has been pretty much chilling knowing that they never intended to make good on their "hot zone" projections, and were waiting to be bought and let Sprint, or whoever bought it do the work? Though realistically Sprint will most likely do a better job rolling out TD-LTE, I wonder if Sprint will gun for Speed vs Capacity.

Wouldn't speed and capacity be one and the same? Capacity is just speed spread out over multiple users.

So basically Clearwire has been pretty much chilling knowing that they never intended to make good on their "hot zone" projections, and were waiting to be bought and let Sprint, or whoever bought it do the work? Though realistically Sprint will most likely do a better job rolling out TD-LTE, I wonder if Sprint will gun for Speed vs Capacity.

It'll certainly be capacity. Sprint won't promise a "superfast" network. Instead, it'll promise that it can continue to handle unlimited over that network.

• Like 1

Clearwire has already been upgrading their existing network for well over a year. Their december report stated that they have 1000 TDD-LTE capable sites ready to be hooked up to Sprints MSC's but not given the order by Sprint to do so yet.

They're doing the slow and steady work because many of clearwires cell site locations may be in redundant locations and could be relocated to Sprints rack instead of their own for cost saving purposes. We'll probably see more info in the coming weeks.

• Like 3

It'll certainly be capacity. Sprint won't promise a "superfast" network. Instead, it'll promise that it can continue to handle unlimited over that network.

While, I do not believe they will promise a superfast network, I do believe they will deploy TD-LTE for more than just capacity/hot zones. One of the main points Softbank made in their press conference was the fact that the US has very slow speeds,while buying the slowest nationwide carrier. Pair that with the fact that they actually bought clearwire, who we all know has a vast amount of unused spectrum; and that makes me believe that they are planning on deploying it in large amounts for speed.

I feel like they will likely deploy it similar to how Tmobile deployed their HSPA+ network. Urban/semi-urban/suburban areas will see TD-LTE coverage, while rural areas/highways will be regulated to LTE on 800 or 1900.

• Like 3

While, I do not believe they will promise a superfast network, I do believe they will deploy TD-LTE for more than just capacity/hot zones. One of the main points Softbank made in their press conference was the fact that the US has very slow speeds,while buying the slowest nationwide carrier. Pair that with the fact that they actually bought clearwire, who we all know has a vast amount of unused spectrum; and that makes me believe that they are planning on deploying it in large amounts for speed.

I feel like they will likely deploy it similar to how Tmobile deployed their HSPA+ network. Urban/semi-urban/suburban areas will see TD-LTE coverage, while rural areas/highways will be regulated to LTE on 800 or 1900.

You're probably right. It benefits SoftBank for that to happen. Refocusing on LTE TDD on band 41 is something that I think SoftBank definitely wants to encourage Sprint to do.

I wonder if that means the under Softbank Sprint won't be interested in the PCS H auction if it plans wider LTE deployments, as it less likely they would need more 1900 for LTE in rural areas, my buddy in Manchester TN (middle of no where) is getting 25x10 Mbps regularly.

PCS H is already a problematic chunk because there is interference between operations on PCS H and AWS-4. Unless Dish does nothing with AWS-4, PCS H is not going to be very desirable.

PCS H is already a problematic chunk because there is interference between operations on PCS H and AWS-4. Unless Dish does nothing with AWS-4, PCS H is not going to be very desirable.

There is a 5MHz guard band between PCS H and AWS-4. A big spat between Sprint and Dish at the FCC about that.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

There is a 5MHz guard band between PCS H and AWS-4. A big spat between Sprint and Dish at the FCC about that.

And if memory serves me right, Sprint was able to get the FCC to shift the bands?