the ultimate 4G LTE tragedy

I've been with Sprint for years, I was so excited for the Evo

4g that I got it on launch day and proceeded to never get a wimax signal in my two year contract...

Still I kept hope and resigned hoping for a better deployment of LTE....well I got a 4g signal today and it lasts until I get to my garage.

I use an airave at home so I've never used or received mobile data at home but this is so frustrating and disappointing. Granted I use Wi-Fi but there's times my home internet is down and I was hoping to use LTE.

I waited all this time, finally got it, and it can only be used in my garage.

Not blaming Sprint here, just sharing my story

4g that I got it on launch day and proceeded to never get a wimax signal in my two year contract...

Still I kept hope and resigned hoping for a better deployment of LTE....well I got a 4g signal today and it lasts until I get to my garage.

I use an airave at home so I've never used or received mobile data at home but this is so frustrating and disappointing. Granted I use Wi-Fi but there's times my home internet is down and I was hoping to use LTE.

Where are you located?

Robert

If not Sprint, then who do you blame?

You may be getting LTE from a far away cell site. When a closer site gets upgraded you will see better coverage.

I can't really blame Sprint. I'm more upset about the wimax deployment because I never got it and they gave up on it.

At least with LTE I can see the growth and eventually it will be more widespread.I

Sprint gave me an airave so I can't really blame them since they're making an effort.

Robert I'm in diamond bar which is 20-30 miles outside of los Angeles.

I also live in a house right next to a hill so that could play a part.

I can't really blame Sprint. I'm more upset about the wimax deployment because I never got it and they gave up on it.

At least with LTE I can see the growth and eventually it will be more widespread.I

Sprint gave me an airave so I can't really blame them since they're making an effort.

ohh man..my cousin lives there and Seriously Sprint has to do something in that areas...service sucks there..big time...But if u check on sensorly LTE is getting closer to you..there is are live signals on the 57 and by san antonio college.
  • Like 1

The tragedy was blaming Sprint for wimax, that was out of their control.

I just thought it would work here when it was deployed.

My house is a weird location because friends with Verizon and ATT

notice huge dips in service when they're at my house.

The only service that works really well here is t mobile.

My sister in law got 17mbps down with a prepaid card from Wal-Mart

I understand it's clear wire but why can't I blame Sprint?

Everything pointed to LTE as the future, they took a gamble no one else took and it clearly back fired.

They might not have been in charge of wimax deployment but investing in it was poor judgment

Yeah Clearwire kinda screwed over all of the companies that invested in WiMax. Sprint is just the biggest one that people think about. Time Warner, Comcast, Intel, Bright House and Google all own or previously owned parts of Clearwire, and they all sunk money into the company to deploy the WiMax network..

Sprint just happens to own the majority (50.8%), but does not have voting majority. Sprint can't unilaterally decide the direction of the company regardless of their majority stake.

My wifi covers all of my house, yard, and even 3 or 4 seconds houses down the street and the houses aren't slammed pack close where you can hear your neighbors fart from your kitchen. No need for LTE at home.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2

My wifi covers all of my house, yard, and even 3 or 4 seconds houses down the street and the houses aren't slammed pack close where you can hear your neighbors fart from your kitchen. No need for LTE at home.

Yes but we cheat and use UBIQ gear.

And for the record i want LTE at my house, i don't want to use it but i do want to have it.

• Like 7

I understand it's clear wire but why can't I blame Sprint?

Everything pointed to LTE as the future, they took a gamble no one else took and it clearly back fired.

They might not have been in charge of wimax deployment but investing in it was poor judgment

There was a reason for that which has been gone over time and again, but it really doesn't even matter at this point.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I've got to ask, what for wifi router do you use? I need a higher powered one.

My LTE stops right as I walk into my house, but it just went live on my tower so I'm sure it's not 100% yet so I can't get too mad, but it doesn't improve with it is completed then I will surely be pissed. And I only get it within a few block radius so it's obviously still in testing, my other tower a few miles away must not have LTE installed yet.

There is your problem. Diamond Bar is one of those communities where permits are a bear to secure. However, that may be a thing of the past if enough young people have moved there to make a difference. I had a friend who lived there, and at their house, Cingular was terrible. AT&T Wireless was good on TDMA years ago.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

There is your problem. Diamond Bar is one of those communities where permits are a bear to secure. However, that may be a thing of the past if enough young people have moved there to make a difference. I had a friend who lived there, and at their house, Cingular was terrible. AT&T Wireless was good on TDMA years ago.

Interesting...can you provide more info on this?

Diamond bar was also one of the cities to strongly protest the building of a football stadium that was planned nearby in the city of industry. I'm pretty sure that's why they're planning to build one in L.A. Live instead.

Yes but we cheat and use UBIQ gear.

And for the record i want LTE at my house, i don't want to use it but i do want to have it.

That's not cheating... just using real gear. The hell with that kiddie Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo, etc stuff. Funny thing is Ubiquiti stuff is priced very well. I still can't get over the Nanostation Loco M2 price and the other crazy shots I've pulled with their stuff. There's no going back. I do use an Asus RT-N66U though for my main router though. That thing is a beast with the various tasks of OpenVPN (for open wifi android usage), SSH tunnels, 3 VLANs, NAS, adblocking, stats, FTP, multi-SSID's, and other things I've probably forgotten. Never bogs down.

• Like 4

Interesting...can you provide more info on this?

Diamond bar was also one of the cities to strongly protest the building of a football stadium that was planned nearby in the city of industry. I'm pretty sure that's why they're planning to build one in L.A. Live instead.

Like the City if Henderson, people are strongly against cell towers for the same reason, they are tin foil hat people. A lot of retirement communities are that way. But progressively the populations in those areas are getting younger, so tensions are easing, and it's hopefully going to open the door to expansions in those cities. The other factor that could play a part is denser foliage over the decades.

I may have to look into getting a better router as well. Ours, apparently (after reading what some of you are saying) sucks! But, regarding having LTE at home...honestly that's where most Americans are likely to use it. I'm fairly certain when the carriers claim the # of people they cover, they're referring to where they live. That's important to most people, including myself, regardless of whether you happen to agree with it or not. Differences are what makes the world go round.

Now, do I use wifi? Sure, but it's really slow. So is the wifi at work. My 4G wimax connection in 4 times faster. Our wifi at home averages 2.75 mbps down on my phone and the same at work. My wimax averages 11-13 mbps down at work and at home. So, yeah, I skip wifi and use 4G during peak times when my roomies are home and wifi speeds are slow. Again, most people will find it important to have LTE at home. There's no rule saying we all have to agree.

That's not cheating... just using real gear. The hell with that kiddie Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo, etc stuff. Funny thing is Ubiquiti stuff is priced very well. I still can't get over the Nanostation Loco M2 price and the other crazy shots I've pulled with their stuff. There's no going back. I do use an Asus RT-N66U though for my main router though. That thing is a beast with the various tasks of OpenVPN (for open wifi android usage), SSH tunnels, 3 VLANs, NAS, adblocking, stats, FTP, multi-SSID's, and other things I've probably forgotten. Never bogs down.

I have no router in my home. I have an access point down the hill and across the stream from me. Get excellent signal all through the home and all over my neighborhood for that matter.

Now, do I use wifi? Sure, but it's really slow. So is the wifi at work. My 4G wimax connection in 4 times faster. Our wifi at home averages 2.75 mbps down on my phone and the same at work. My wimax averages 11-13 mbps down at work and at home. So, yeah, I skip wifi and use 4G during peak times when my roomies are home and wifi speeds are slow. Again, most people will find it important to have LTE at home. There's no rule saying we all have to agree.

You use 4G (WiMAX) at home because Wi-Fi is "really slow"?

Well, as more people do what you do, get ready for 4G (WiMAX or LTE) to become "really slow," too. Your solution turns into the problem.

Foresight is key, but I find that many people do not care to or are not able to look beyond the here and now.

AJ

• Like 1

Clear started a lot of that crap. Use our 4G instead of buying a landline. All good until their ill-built network was oversold and causing Sprint grief. Was grabbing the money worth it for Clear? No.

As far as the state of WiFi, it sucks in lots of places because it's AT&T WiFi. I wish the other carriers would be more aggressive in building out carrier WiFi in the US.

Clear started a lot of that crap. Use our 4G instead of buying a landline. All good until their ill-built network was oversold and causing Sprint grief. Was grabbing the money worth it for Clear? No.

As far as the state of WiFi, it sucks in lots of places because it's AT&T WiFi. I wish the other carriers would be more aggressive in building out carrier WiFi in the US.

I think that's what Sprints long term goals are for td-lte. Set up deals with chain restaurants and event centers to get td-lte micro cells in every high usage area to clear up the rest of the macro network.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2