Sprint losing more pseudo native coverage [Nex-Tech, United Wireless, PTCI]?

Rawvega

Acquiring some rural 850 licenses would not have been a bad thing, especially considering Sprint devices already support CDMA Band Class 0.

That would be ideal, but Cellular 850 is spectrum gold that no licensee would let go of easily. Some more rural border areas in the reverse auction seems like a definite possibility though

also to add to why its even more ideal, Cellular 850 is covered by LTE band class 26 so Sprint's current device roadmap would still be able to fully take advantage of that spectrum without any changes.

Edited by lynyrd65

Meh, no thanks. That would have been a veritable "battle of the bands." And too many bands spoil the network.

AJ

You mean the same 4 bands that Verizon has to deal with? OK, no AWS, but definitely load up on PCS.

You mean the same 4 bands that Verizon has to deal with? OK, no AWS, but definitely load up on PCS.

...plus SMR and BRS/EBS makes six, not to mention, PCS G is effectively a band unto itself.

AJ

It woud be only Alltel, not Alltel and Nextel.

So, just to be clear, you would have happily forgone nationwide SMR 800 MHz and BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum for Cellular 850 MHz spectrum in basically Phoenix, Cleveland, Charlotte, Tampa, Albuquerque and a bunch of rural areas that Sprint subs do not frequent?

AJ

So, just to be clear, you would have happily forgone nationwide SMR 800 MHz and BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum for Cellular 850 MHz spectrum in basically Phoenix, Cleveland, Charlotte, Tampa, Albuquerque and a bunch of rural areas that Sprint subs do not frequent?

AJ

Yes, just remember what it came with. It came with a lot of debt. Alltel had very little debt. I also wanted them to acquire USCC and a few other regionals. Sprint could have also acquired some of the Nextwave spectrum that Metro acquired.

It took Sprint, what, 8 years to reband? Meanwhile they replaced Nextel postpaid customers with prepaid customers. I think that Alltel/USCC customers would have stayed with Sprint and I think they would have added some postpaid customers.

PCS G block is it's own band. Nobody else uses it. Sprint already had quite a lot of BRS spectrum of its own.

Yes, just remember what it came with. It came with a lot of debt. Alltel had very little debt. I also wanted them to acquire USCC and a few other regionals. Sprint could have also acquired some of the Nextwave spectrum that Metro acquired.

It took Sprint, what, 8 years to reband? Meanwhile they replaced Nextel postpaid customers with prepaid customers. I think that Alltel/USCC customers would have stayed with Sprint and I think they would have added some postpaid customers.

PCS G block is it's own band. Nobody else uses it. Sprint already had quite a lot of BRS spectrum of its own.

Which would really be better is something we really can't determine yet. The full effect of the softbank infusion, the addition of the full SMR band and Clearwire purchase remain to be seen.

The problem with the Sprint Nextel merger was that you had two companies that were roughly $30 billion enterprises merge and become one $30 billion enterprise. Alltel was a conservatively managed company that didn't have anywhere close to the debt load, as bigsnake49 mentioned. It was there for the taking. Urban legend has it that the Ford family tried to get Forsee to merge Sprint and Alltel. Forsee chose Nextel instead, which had a number of really bad problems.

1. The massive crushing debt

2. The oversaturation of the network with the Boost Mobile d-bags jumping on board killing the old Nextel network.

3. The fact iDen was a dead end from a technology standpoint with no migration path whatsoever.

Would it be worth all the BRS/EBS? I don't know, but if Clearwire was on the scrap heap, Sprint could have bought it anyway over time. Then you remember the artificial restriction of having to deploy on BRS/EBS without the LTE standard to deploy it with, forcing Sprint to use the inferior WiMax.

A well-financed Sprint Alltel could have also went for bear in the AWS and 700 MHz auctions. That would have ensured they could quickly deploy LTE when it was ready.

While i am not a fan of the nextel merger, realize what Sprint got in return. They got some 800 mhz AND they got some 2600 mhz because of rebanding. In the end I dont think Nextel was a total disaster. Simply acquiring the 800 frequency saw to that.

A well-financed Sprint Alltel could have also went for bear in the AWS and 700 MHz auctions. That would have ensured they could quickly deploy LTE when it was ready.

Verizon spent more than 9 billion on the 700mhz auction. ATT more than 6 billion. Regionals in certain areas also spent a lot to get what they wanted. Verizon and ATT could and would have spent more if a 3rd national carrier was competing in that auction. It wasn't a fail safe for sprint.

Verizon spent more than 9 billion on the 700mhz auction. ATT more than 6 billion. Regionals in certain areas also spent a lot to get what they wanted. Verizon and ATT could and would have spent more if a 3rd national carrier was competing in that auction. It wasn't a fail safe for sprint.

Indeed. And it could have been a disaster.

Prior to the 2008 Upper/Lower 700 MHz auction, AT&T bought up the Lower 700 MHz C block 12 MHz license holdings of Aloha Partners. That gave AT&T an already nearly nationwide footprint and provided it with great synergy to bid on the Lower 700 MHz B block 12 MHz licenses in the auction.

Additionally, the Upper 700 MHz C block 22 MHz licenses were divided into only eight REAs for the entire 50 states. VZW set its sights on the whole set and did not waver. Sprint had no chance.

The only chance Sprint would have had was for the Lower 700 MHz A block 12 MHz licenses that VZW but most USCC and regional carriers snagged. To this day, the A block is encumbered by adjacent DTV channel 51 in many major markets. Not to mention, AT&T has excluded the A block from its boutique band 17, hurting band 12 device availability.

So, someone, go ahead, please try to argue that Sprint would be better off having attempted to acquire Upper/Lower 700 MHz spectrum rather than having firmly secured SMR 800 MHz spectrum...

AJ

• Like 4

Verizon was also in on Nextel, though.

What if Forsee swerved and picked Alltel instead?

If Verizon had snagged the Nextel albatross, they'd be in a much more precarious position. Sprint and Alltel would have been best capitalized to snag 700 C. The Verizon/Nextel investors would likely want Ivan's head on a platter much like they got Forsee's.

So, if I'm going to make that argument, that Sprint would have had the option for Upper/Lower 700 spectrum, I also have to include the full picture of the alternate reality.

The problem with the Sprint Nextel merger was that you had two companies that were roughly $30 billion enterprises merge and become one $30 billion enterprise. Alltel was a conservatively managed company that didn't have anywhere close to the debt load, as bigsnake49 mentioned. It was there for the taking. Urban legend has it that the Ford family tried to get Forsee to merge Sprint and Alltel. Forsee chose Nextel instead, which had a number of really bad problems.

1. The massive crushing debt

2. The oversaturation of the network with the Boost Mobile d-bags jumping on board killing the old Nextel network.

3. The fact iDen was a dead end from a technology standpoint with no migration path whatsoever.

Would it be worth all the BRS/EBS? I don't know, but if Clearwire was on the scrap heap, Sprint could have bought it anyway over time. Then you remember the artificial restriction of having to deploy on BRS/EBS without the LTE standard to deploy it with, forcing Sprint to use the inferior WiMax.

I don't know that it's an urban legend, but according to this: http://www.cellular-news.com/story/31955.php Scott Ford tried to put Alltel together with Sprint even after the Nextel merger, but was apparently rebuffed by Forsee on three occasions. Since we're talking alternate realities, that would have been interesting. Nationwide 800MHz SMR, plus Sprint's urban PCS coverage, plus Alltel's exurban/rural cellular/PCS coverage, plus whatever BRS/EBS licenses that Sprint Nextel held before spinning them off into the new Clearwire. I think that could've been formidable.

• Like 1

Verizon was also in on Nextel, though.

Something happened to your link, Ryan. Regardless, I am glad that you originally included it, as I have been searching for that kind of info for years. I have long claimed that VZW was running interference with the Sprint-Nextel merger, that if Sprint had not gotten Nextel, then VZW would have. But I had unable to find any existing source and started to wonder if I had just dreamed that VZW scenario a decade ago.

AJ

Something happened to your link, Ryan. Regardless, I am glad that you originally included it, as I have been searching for that kind of info for years. I have long claimed that VZW was running interference with the Sprint-Nextel merger, that if Sprint had not gotten Nextel, then VZW would have. But I had unable to find any existing source and started to wonder if I had just dreamed that VZW scenario a decade ago.

AJ

I included the wrong link quite by accident. Still, I was under the impression that Verizon really wanted Nextel. I never dreamed Sprint was a target.

Verizon was also in on Nextel' date=' though.

What if Forsee swerved and picked Alltel instead?

If Verizon had snagged the Nextel albatross, they'd be in a much more precarious position. Sprint and Alltel would have been best capitalized to snag 700 C. The Verizon/Nextel investors would likely want Ivan's head on a platter much like they got Forsee's.

So, if I'm going to make that argument, that Sprint would have had the option for Upper/Lower 700 spectrum, I also have to include the full picture of the alternate reality.[/quote']

I love alternate reality what-ifs.... what I dont have faith in is the leadership capacity of Gary "golden parachute" Forsee 's leadership decisions even in vastly different circumstances. We cant assume that verizon would have botched the nextel sub culture, which was sprints first flaw. We also cant assume they would have lagged 8 years before shuttering iden or offering a viable transition away from it. Not beating up on sprint, but nextel didnt have to implode in the nasty, public and sad way it did. Forsee could have easily screwed up alternate reality alltel / subsequent regional tie ups that would have happened. His blunders could have easily caused that sk telecom cash infusion to happen or something more bizarre. Who knows.

I love alternate reality what-ifs.... what I dont have faith in is the leadership capacity of Gary "golden parachute" Forsee 's leadership decisions even in vastly different circumstances. We cant assume that verizon would have botched the nextel sub culture, which was sprints first flaw.

Agreed. So it seems, Sprint is the operator that can do no right, while VZW craps gold nuggets.

AJ

• Like 1

Agreed. So it seems' date=' Sprint is the operator that can do no right, while VZW craps gold nuggets.

AJ[/quote']

ehh, I wouldnt say verizon craps anything nice. They were just shrewd and calculated during the pivotal time that delivered the duopoly and the current landscape. We're in another pivotal time now , and sprints got a shrewd and brilliant leader. Quite frankly, any stock that triples in a years time is laying golden eggs for me.

• Like 3

ehh, I wouldnt say verizon craps anything nice. They were just shrewd and calculated during the pivotal time that delivered the duopoly and the current landscape. We're in another pivotal time now , and sprints got a shrewd and brilliant leader. Quite frankly, any stock that triples in a years time is laying golden eggs for me.

My portfolio agrees 110%

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint is definitely losing coverage west of McPherson. Had a sprint customer stop by tell me they got informed by Sprint yesterday that they would have to switch providers because they will loose the sprint coverage in Little River

Sent from my SSGS3 using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Well one can only hope that once Nextel is finally shuttered, Network Vision is complete and their balance sheet starts looking better, that Sprint will eventually start to build out their own coverage in some of these areas where they've lost pseudo native coverage. Or at least the areas where it makes economic sense for them to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Well one can only hope that once Nextel is finally shuttered, Network Vision is complete and their balance sheet starts looking better, that Sprint will eventually start to build out their own coverage in some of these areas where they've lost pseudo native coverage. Or at least the areas where it makes economic sense for them to do so.

I really hope they do add coverage not just in those areas but nationwide. I have had enough dealing with the coverage I have been getting lately. They changed the coverage pattern of the tower I have been connecting to and I no longer get service. Business Care told me there is nothing that will be done but the tower does have an on air date for NV toward the end of May. I have real problems finding any carrier that serves where I live due to being on the Cellular A/B boundary. USCC has A to one direction and B to the other. Creates havoc when trying to actually use a phone as they all flip between the towers. PCS is the only service that would be consistent but the build out here was scuttled by Sprint when all expansion stopped a few years back.

After reading that KS coverage is going I find it very hard to justify staying with Sprint. I am probably one of the few that uses that coverage often. I loved the service Nex-Tech provided and wish all of the Sprint network performed as good as it did. The signal strength they had all over the place was nothing short of amazing. I would guess Sprint is ending all of these agreements to try to save costs. I thought they were paid a nominal fee for servicing these customers by the rural alliance partners. Sprint did have to pay for customers that used the network built by the partner. It may be that Sprint ended up paying more than expected due to I-70 being covered. It does make sense to cover I-70, US 50, and US 54. The shortcut between I-70 and CO Springs is probably worthwhile. I would be very surprise to see Sprint let the Limon-Denver corridor go to roaming due to the traffic there.

• Like 1

I really hope they do add coverage not just in those areas but nationwide. I have had enough dealing with the coverage I have been getting lately. They changed the coverage pattern of the tower I have been connecting to and I no longer get service. Business Care told me there is nothing that will be done but the tower does have an on air date for NV toward the end of May. I have real problems finding any carrier that serves where I live due to being on the Cellular A/B boundary. USCC has A to one direction and B to the other. Creates havoc when trying to actually use a phone as they all flip between the towers. PCS is the only service that would be consistent but the build out here was scuttled by Sprint when all expansion stopped a few years back.

After reading that KS coverage is going I find it very hard to justify staying with Sprint. I am probably one of the few that uses that coverage often. I loved the service Nex-Tech provided and wish all of the Sprint network performed as good as it did. The signal strength they had all over the place was nothing short of amazing. I would guess Sprint is ending all of these agreements to try to save costs. I thought they were paid a nominal fee for servicing these customers by the rural alliance partners. Sprint did have to pay for customers that used the network built by the partner. It may be that Sprint ended up paying more than expected due to I-70 being covered. It does make sense to cover I-70, US 50, and US 54. The shortcut between I-70 and CO Springs is probably worthwhile. I would be very surprise to see Sprint let the Limon-Denver corridor go to roaming due to the traffic there.

I live in a town where Verizon got a monopoly because it falls at the border of 2 CMA's where VZW owns both A bands but AT&T owns band B in Missouri and ATN owns band B in Illinois. It's a mess and no carrier has contiguous coverage here as even VZW hands off to different switches on the border here.

T-Mobile has coverage here but it's EDGE, and Sprint is AWOL.