Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Drat. Stuck with my 5s for another 6 months.

As I said to the sponsors in my sponsor thread and repeated so many times over the past year...

Anyone who continues to use and operate a single band or dual band (iPhone 5s/5c) on sprint in Sacramento or anywhere in northern California will only have themselves to blame if they complain about slow speeds.

Sprint does not have any additional pcs spectrum to deploy another band 25 carrier and band 26 will be purposely limited to a very high threshold before users will be sent to that band because it's main purpose is mostly for coverage.

The only thing that'll make sprint usable in this area is band 41 2500 mhz carriers where sprint holds at least 55mhz of BRS and untold amount of ebs.

So yes get a triband device. If you don't then you'll have a miserable experience here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As I said to the sponsors in my sponsor thread and repeated so many times over the past year...

Anyone who continues to use and operate a single band or dual band (iPhone 5s/5c) on sprint in Sacramento or anywhere in northern California will only have themselves to blame if they complain about slow speeds.

Sprint does not have any additional pcs spectrum to deploy another band 25 carrier and band 26 will be purposely limited to a very high threshold before users will be sent to that band because it's main purpose is mostly for coverage.

The only thing that'll make sprint usable in this area is band 41 2500 mhz carriers where sprint holds 55mhz of BRS and untold amount of ebs.

So yes get a triband device. If you don't then you'll have a miserable experience here.

I've read your previous post regarding this topic but I assumed you was talking about the future.

As of right now in the Sac area, would it be beneficial to have a sparks phone?

I've read your previous post regarding this topic but I assumed you was talking about the future.

Yes. Even if they launch all the sites with b25 today (impossible) the speeds will average sub 10 Mbps and degrade over time.

There's no fix for it other than band 41.

newb question.

Is there a list somewhere of the phones that will be/are tri band? 

If not, does anyone know if the new Samsung Note 4 is tri band?

Does tri band also mean it will be a Spark phone?

Thanks!

newb question.

Is there a list somewhere of the phones that will be/are tri band?

If not, does anyone know if the new Samsung Note 4 is tri band?

Does tri band also mean it will be a Spark phone?

Thanks!

Spark = Tri-Band.

Sprint's fancy name for tri-band.

Every mid to high level device released since the end of last year has been a Spark device.

Edit: Note 4 is expect to be a Spark device!

Sent from my LG G3

• Like 1

Most of the LTE coverage right now in Sac is from "Spark" or Band 41, so it would be beneficial now, and in the future.

Sent from my LG G3

Yes. Even if they launch all the sites with b25 today (impossible) the speeds will average sub 10 Mbps and degrade over time.

There's no fix for it other than band 41.

Given the signal characteristics of B41, is it possible for contiguous coverage from cell site to cell site in B41 since sprints network was built around PCS signal characteristics?

Not really sure on sprints spectrum position in Sacramento, but correct me if I'm wrong:

6.25x6.25Mhz SMR

10x10 + 5x5 PCS A/G blocks

150Mhz+ EBS/BRS

I'm going off of FCC's site, and its really confusing because theres seems to be overlap in who owns what spectrum, at least in the PCS licenses. 

To confirm Sprint spectrum position in Sacramento County (187MHz total):

SMR  (Total 16MHz)

8x8  (816-824/861-869) 

PCS   (Total 30MHz)

10x10 A-Block (1850-1860/1930-1940)

5x5 G-Block (1910-1915/1990-1995)

BRS  (Total 73.5MHz)

EBS  (Total 67.5MHz)

22.5MHz leased from Sac State (1850-1865/1930-1945)

45MHz leased from Los Rios College in two leases

Robert

• Like 6

To confirm Sprint spectrum position in Sacramento County:

SMR  (Total 16MHz)

8x8  (816-824/861-869) 

PCS   (Total 40MHz)

15x15 A-Block (1850-1865/1930-1945)

5x5 G-Block (1910-1915/1990-1995)

BRS  (Total 73.5MHz)

EBS  (Total 22.5MHz leased from Sac State)

Robert

Are you sure Sprint fully owns the PCS A block? My work phone is on at&t, and at&t recently launched 10x10 PCS LTE in Sacramento with UARFCN 750 which translates to a center frequency of 1865(uplink). Wouldn't that mean at&t operates on 1860-1870 since it is a 10x10Mhz network? Is it possible sprint is leasing the upper 5mhz of their A block to at&t?

photo-2.PNG

• Like 1

Are you sure Sprint fully owns the PCS A block? My work phone is on at&t, and at&t recently launched 10x10 PCS LTE in Sacramento with UARFCN 750 which translates to a center frequency of 1865(uplink). Wouldn't that mean at&t operates on 1860-1870 since it is a 10x10Mhz network? Is it possible sprint is leasing the upper 5mhz of their A block to at&t?

attachicon.gifphoto-2.PNG

Fixed the error.  The way the FCC lists it in the ULS is confusing.  I drilled all the way down to the county level in Sprint's license first.  And at the top of that page, it shows the entire A block frequencies.  Causing me to think that Sprint had the whole A block in Sacto County.  But after further review, the FCC lists it that way for all A block licenses, no matter how small the license is.  Even if it was only 5MHz.

I needed to pay attention that in the second to last page in the license drill down, Sprint's license was broken down into different frequency pairings of A Block, and Sprint only has the lower 10x10 of A Block.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  187MHz is still a humongous amount of spectrum.

Robert

• Like 1

Are you sure Sprint fully owns the PCS A block?

Fixed the error.  The way the FCC lists it in the ULS is confusing.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3218-fcc-rejects-requests-to-delay-softbanksprint-deal-review/page-3&do=findComment&comment=105723

I know the FCC ULS -- inside and out.  This is why I get paid the big bucks as S4GRU Technical Editor.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Fixed the error.  The way the FCC lists it in the ULS is confusing.  I drilled all the way down to the county level in Sprint's license first.  And at the top of that page, it shows the entire A block frequencies.  Causing me to think that Sprint had the whole A block in Sacto County.  But after further review, the FCC lists it that way for all A block licenses, no matter how small the license is.  Even if it was only 5MHz.

I needed to pay attention that in the second to last page in the license drill down, Sprint's license was broken down into different frequency pairings of A Block, and Sprint only has the lower 10x10 of A Block.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  187MHz is still a humongous amount of spectrum.

Robert

No, thank you for clarifying! I always like to see what carrier has what spectrum in my area, but the PCS block is really confusing. So you said there is a way to actually to see the break down of each block on the "second to last page in the license drill down". I'm gonna go try looking for that!

No, thank you for clarifying! I always like to see what carrier has what spectrum in my area, but the PCS block is really confusing. So you said there is a way to actually to see the break down of each block on the "second to last page in the license drill down". I'm gonna go try looking for that!

The key is learning how to use the Market tab.

AJ

• Like 2

Where did you get LTE in midtown? Nothing for me?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/951102775

I got this in Midtown (Downtown Sacramento) at Old Soul Coffee at 21st and H Street. I didn't think of Tri-Band having to be a factor, but yes, I'm running a Nexus 5.

Edited by OctoInk
  • Like 1

I got this in Midtown (Downtown Sacramento) at Old Soul Coffee at 21st and H Street. I didn't think of Tri-Band having to be a factor, but yes, I'm running a Nexus 5.

Ooh, nice! I'll have to go to Old Soul more often. :). I'll try a speed check when I get down there later today.

That looks more like B25 LTE Speeds for our area. Hopefully we can confirm, but maybe it's an older Clear B41 site as well.

• Like 1

The location I go to is closer to the capitol building, but I will swing by that area for a quick speed check and signal check screen shot.

Can you check the garage at R & 15th? Or has that already been verified?

It looks like Sprint dropped their prices and is offering a buyout deal right now (even for single plans) so I might jump back over right away while the deal is still around.

Can you check the garage at R & 15th? Or has that already been verified?

It looks like Sprint dropped their prices and is offering a buyout deal right now (even for single plans) so I might jump back over right away while the deal is still around.

I haven't. I know that site is broadcasting 1x800 for sure as of Friday, but I haven't been downtown since for any length of time.

No accepts anywhere in the recent cluster for Sprint LTE. What you're all getting is Clear B41. 

1x800 was being tested for the first couple of day and are now off. After consultation with other Samsung regions this is the norm where they test for a few days after a cluster launch and then nothing for 2-3 weeks before they fire it all up permanently. 

• Like 3

No accepts anywhere in the recent cluster for Sprint LTE. What you're all getting is Clear B41.

1x800 was being tested for the first couple of day and are now off. After consultation with other Samsung regions this is the norm where they test for a few days after a cluster launch and then nothing for 2-3 weeks before they fire it all up permanently.

I noticed this in Rancho after the initial launch. Now, it is on all the time. Just waiting for the LTE/backhaul delivery.

You should see new sprint band 25 soon as techs go back to the recent 3g accepted sites and turn on LTE. In my Pittsburgh market it only took 1 acceptance report (a week)to show half the last cluster to launch LTE so there is a chance that it may be band 25. It should be exciting for the next couple weeks for you guys.

You should see new sprint band 25 soon as techs go back to the recent 3g accepted sites and turn on LTE. In my Pittsburgh market it only took 1 acceptance report (a week)to show half the last cluster to launch LTE so there is a chance that it may be band 25. It should be exciting for the next couple weeks for you guys.

Its already exciting... We've been waiting for LTE for a L O N G time.

:tu:

Trust me.. I of all people would know for this market before the acceptance report is updated by Robert.  There are some reports and screenshots of B25 out there but nothing has been officially "accepted" as of last night.

It's safe to say most reports are because of the Clear b41 being turned back on considering a few individuals with single band devices are saying they're not getting connections whereas those with triband devices are (another reason to get a triband device other than the fact that Sprint has over 140mhz of 2500 spectrum in this market). 

B)

• Like 1