Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Manteca, Lathrop, & Tracy CA has been cluster launched for 3G.

New site with 4G live in Modesto as well.

- Near intersection of B street & 7th Street near Wille Eletric Supply

Exact locations available in the sponsor area

Sorry, but what does it mean when a city has been launched for 3G?  Better speeds for the 3G spectrum, better voice coverage with 1x or ...?

We've been using the Airave at home so we're basically using our own internet to make calls, etc. so I can't tell any difference at home.  I'll have to turn off the Airave and see if we can even get a signal from that one single tower in Manteca. 

Edited by solara

Sorry, but what does it mean when a city has been launched for 3G?  Better speeds for the 3G spectrum, better voice coverage with 1x or ...?

We've been using the Airave at home so we're basically using our own internet to make calls, etc. so I can't tell any difference at home.  I'll have to turn off the Airave and see if we can even get a signal from that one single tower in Manteca. 

All new equipment is installed and 99% active and broadcasting. Everything runs through the new Samsung Network Vision gear which gives a slight boost to signal due to new antennas and radio heads by the antennas. Also there will be significantly faster speeds (if on upgraded backhaul) and better reception. Huge boost in coverage and indoor penetration for voice if 1x 800 service is live. 

• Like 1

Ok I might be completely wrong on that lol. Am I misunderstanding 800/4G accepted?

Band 26 is an LTE band. Specifically LTE on 800MHz. There is no Band 26 deployed in Modesto, yet. However, there is CDMA with 800MHz. But the CDMA band class for 800MHz SMR is 10. CDMA is expressed in "Band Class" and LTE is expressed in "Band."

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Band 26 is an LTE band. Specifically LTE on 800MHz. There is no Band 26 deployed in Modesto, yet. However, there is CDMA with 800MHz. But the CDMA band class for 800MHz SMR is 10. CDMA is expressed in "Band Class" and LTE is expressed in "Band." Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for that explanation. I was confusing CDMA 800 with LTE 800. My obvious follow up question is will the area get Band 26 and if so will it happen anytime soon or is it 2-3 year away?

Thank you for that explanation. I was confusing CDMA 800 with LTE 800. My obvious follow up question is will the area get Band 26 and if so will it happen anytime soon or is it 2-3 year away?

Months from both band 41 and 26*

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Band 26 is an LTE band. Specifically LTE on 800MHz. There is no Band 26 deployed in Modesto, yet. However, there is CDMA with 800MHz. But the CDMA band class for 800MHz SMR is 10. CDMA is expressed in "Band Class" and LTE is expressed in "Band." Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe you should consider adding "1x" to the 800 maps legend to avoid any potential confusion going forward considering that LTE 800 is becoming more and more prevalent.

• Like 1

Still no word on Davis LTE?

Have patience. Modesto only started having LTE integration about a month after it was 3G integrated. They've been going on a steady pace ever since they began and they're only 4 or 5 more towers away from launch status.

Davis was integrated 2-3 weeks ago. So it should be relatively soon when the LTE integration team checks by. Last checked the 3G speeds are actually usable now compared to before so it'll be not as painful of a wait. TDD-LTE Band 41 Spark will follow in the next few weeks / months so that's also a plus. 

Have patience. Modesto only started having LTE integration about a month after it was 3G integrated. They've been going on a steady pace ever since they began and they're only 4 or 5 more towers away from launch status.

Davis was integrated 2-3 weeks ago. So it should be relatively soon when the LTE integration team checks by. Last checked the 3G speeds are actually usable now compared to before so it'll be not as painful of a wait. TDD-LTE Band 41 Spark will follow in the next few weeks / months so that's also a plus.

Cool, a friend of mine said 3G got better here. Today I updated my PRL from a verizon back to sprint, buy went from 200kbps to 20, so I'm not sure if it was just my location or things haven't changed. I have a note 2 and it went on the 2011 PRL, is that the most recent one or did I just get a bad update? My phone has a custom ROM if that affects it.

So I called Sprint to see if they are now able to give dates to the upgrades in my area like I was told. For Fair Oaks and elsewhere in Sac I use my phone, they are saying end of June/July. SO I assume that applies to the Sac area in general. A bit further out that I had hoped, but better that the usual 3-6 months they used to say

Edited by vlawde

I haven't seen any 1x800 in Davis in over a week now.  I wonder if they found some issue with it which made them turn it off.

I haven't seen any 1x800 in Davis in over a week now.  I wonder if they found some issue with it which made them turn it off.

Unless you have a priority PRL for 1x800 you need to completely lose your signal before it latches onto 800 or run a prl scan to toggle the radios. GN2 2000 series blocked 1x800 while the Nexus 5 55017 puts it at the same priority. 

Unless you have a priority PRL for 1x800 you need to completely lose your signal before it latches onto 800 or run a prl scan to toggle the radios. GN2 2000 series blocked 1x800 while the Nexus 5 55017 puts it at the same priority. 

oOooo I 'm on 56017 and thought it had higher priority for the 1x800.  I guess it doesn't really matter though, I was just surprised why it would just disappear all of the sudden.

So I called Sprint to see if they are now able to give dates to the upgrades in my area like I was told. For Fair Oaks and elsewhere in Sac I use my phone, they are saying end of June/July. SO I assume that applies to the Sac area in general. A bit further out that I had hoped, but better that the usual 3-6 months they used to say

Internal Sprint dates are either the 90 days or 180 days varieties. What they gave you was the 180 day marker which implies that the site can be updated anywhere in the next 180 days. Say a site was scheduled for april. They can either lump it in the 180 day estimate which gets placed into end of june / july or they can lump it into the 90 day estimate which is may. These approximate time frames are just estimates and are subject to change for the better or worse...

IOTW they told you they will upgrade it sometime this year...  :td:

• Like 1

its soo annoying. I was in Virginia and Milwaukee this week and BOTH had LTE?! The capitol of the nations largest state? worse than 3g service...

Continue to be annoyed.  Other than Band 41 LTE, there will not be much Sprint LTE inside Sacramento for the forseeable future.  Most of the LTE deployment will occur in the suburbs and exurbs.

Robert

Continue to be annoyed.  Other than Band 41 LTE, there will not be much Sprint LTE inside Sacramento for the forseeable future.  Most of the LTE deployment will occur in the suburbs and exurbs.

Robert

Robert, could you elaborate some on why you say this? For those not so familiar with terms as "Band 41" and such, could you provide your opinion on why Sacramento (city of, I assume?) will not have much LTE "for the foreseeable future"?

Robert, could you elaborate some on why you say this? For those not so familiar with terms as "Band 41" and such, could you provide your opinion on why Sacramento (city of, I assume?) will not have much LTE "for the foreseeable future"?

It appears that recently the Contractor that was supposed to do the upgrades inside the City of Sacramento was fired and did not pick up their permits.  Their permits have expired before being picked up.  I'm sure that there is another Contractor now hired, but it is not known when they will get permitted and started on work.  It seems like in the best case scenario, it would be another 30-45 days before they can even begin work.  Work seems to be progressing still outside the City of Sacramento.  This would include Band 25/26 deployment on Sprint Network Vision/CDMA sites.

As for Band 41, that is a separate deployment.  That is installing Band 41 (TDD-LTE on 2600MHz) on old Clearwire WiMax sites.  That work is being handled by a different Contractor and that work is still going on.  Quite a few are already live.  

Unfortuantely, Sprint TriBand phones that are capable of using Band 41 LTE need to have CSFB deployed.  Which in a Samsung market, CSFB is only available on a Network Vision 3G upgraded site.  Band 41 LTE can only be used without CSFB on a Triband hotspot or on a Triband smartphone in LTE only mode.

Robert

It appears that recently the Contractor that was supposed to do the upgrades inside the City of Sacramento was fired and did not pick up their permits. Their permits have expired before being picked up. I'm sure that there is another Contractor now hired, but it is not known when they will get permitted and started on work. It seems like in the best case scenario, it would be another 30-45 days before they can even begin work. Work seems to be progressing still outside the City of Sacramento. This would include Band 25/26 deployment on Sprint Network Vision/CDMA sites.

As for Band 41, that is a separate deployment. That is installing Band 41 (TDD-LTE on 2600MHz) on old Clearwire WiMax sites. That work is being handled by a different Contractor and that work is still going on. Quite a few are already live.

Unfortuantely, Sprint TriBand phones that are capable of using Band 41 LTE need to have CSFB deployed. Which in a Samsung market, CSFB is only available on a Network Vision 3G upgraded site. Band 41 LTE can only be used without CSFB on a Triband hotspot or on a Triband smartphone in LTE only mode.

Robert

Tiny correction. It's mostly County sites and a few City of Sacramento sites that were affected. Most of of those permits were the first applications from April to July.

City of Sacramento were mostly September to December and some we're expedited by sprint itself around September to October so these sites are most likely the new contractor(s).

Still... Vinculums screwed us up pretty hard... (that's the contractor that got fired... )..

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Tiny correction. It's mostly County sites and a few City of Sacramento sites that were affected. Most of of those permits were the first applications from April to July.

City of Sacramento were mostly September to December and some we're expedited by sprint itself around September to October so these sites are most likely the new contractor(s).

Still... Vinculums screwed us up pretty hard... (that's the contractor that got fired... )..

Sent from my Nexus 5

I probably should have just let you answer.  You are the guru on Sacramento permits after all.  And what I do know, I've caught reading what you've written.

:clap:

Robert

Sent from my Nexus 5

Lilo,

Do we know which contractor yet is taking over for Vinculums? You could probably just keep an eye on the permits that you already have scope of no? Just watch for them to have fee's paid and get picked up to know how many more sites we are waiting on? You can probably tell which permits didn't get picked up too no?

Lilo,

Do we know which contractor yet is taking over for Vinculums? You could probably just keep an eye on the permits that you already have scope of no? Just watch for them to have fee's paid and get picked up to know how many more sites we are waiting on? You can probably tell which permits didn't get picked up too no?

If it's issued then someone picked it up. Most permits don't usually get updated with who picked it up. Mostly they just say TBD or Out to bid.

Lately I've been seeing a lot more from KJ construction, SLC, black dot wireless and streamline engineering and design.

They are the ones that finished up Modesto, Tracy and presumably are finishing up Stockton. Redding is mostly SLC. Reno / Sparks was triton and trisquare.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Lately I've been seeing a lot more from KJ construction, SLC, black dot wireless and streamline engineering and design. . .

Sent from my Nexus 5

I won't mention who, but I will say that the updates I have provided regarding possible time frames are a result of my communications with someone from one of those companies.