T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

I could swear that especially with the edge upgrading, it is being done on the cheap with either few back haul upgrades (keeping microwave, etc). The speed tests coming out of newly upgraded edge areas has been not nearly as fast as metro areas.

I've not seen this at all. My experience matches Conan's.

Sites without backhaul get upgraded to HSPA. Slow speeds, but better airlink. (All the MetroPCS sites here run this way now. Which is frustrating, because MetroPCS actually had decent backhaul, that T-Mobile threw out...)

Rural T-Mobile sites here that are running actual LTE are almost always screaming fast. Stupid fast. Easily twice as fast as the LTE service at our urban sites. (likely because these are all exurb/rural sites, where no one ever uses T-Mobile for their service). For example, the T-Mobile site in North Hudsonville / Georgetown Township went straight from GRPS to 50+mbps LTE. You can't pull 50mbps on T-Mobile in the city anymore (due to load), but these new rural sites easily hit that speed.

I don't have any info as to whether the backhaul is "on the cheap". But the speeds are crazy fast and very reliable -- at some point, it doesn't matter whether it's fiber or microwave.

What device did this software update add 700MHz capability to?

Samsung galaxy light it has 700mhz hardware built into it ....yesterday my lte service barely got one bar now I averages 3 or better and my signal dbm is about 80 to 90 dbm ...the software update actually activate the 700 MHz radio and the volte capability

Samsung galaxy light it has 700mhz hardware built into it ....yesterday my lte service barely got one bar now I averages 3 or better and my signal dbm is about 80 to 90 dbm ...the software update actually activate the 700 MHz radio and the volte capability

The Samsung Galaxy Light does not have 700MHz Band 12. It supports LTE bands 17 and 4. Most likely, the update erased the cache of local sites in your area, updated the cell selection algorithm, and coincided with a few newly upgraded sites that went live, resulting in better connection quality.

The only Band 12 LTE devices T-Mobile sells today are:

It is expected that a variant of the Sony Xperia Z3 will have it, and perhaps the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The jury is out on whether or not the next iPhone will have it, as the previous iPhone didn't have it even though US Cellular signed on with Apple at the beginning of that year.

• Like 2

Samsung galaxy light it has 700mhz hardware built into it 

It has Band 17, not Band 12 so if you were getting 700MHz LTE it was from AT&T, not T-Mobile.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=417689&fcc_id=A3LSGHT399

Check the Part 22 24 27 LTE Test Report.

• Like 1

Per samsung's website, that phone is not Band 12 capable. Only band 4 and 17.

• Frequencies and Data Type

GSM:850/900/1800/1900; UMTS: Band 1(2100), II (1900, IV (1700), V(850); LTE: Band 4 (1700), Nabd 17 (700)

EDIT: you both beat me.

• Like 2

Per samsung's website, that phone is not Band 12 capable. Only band 4 and 17.

• Frequencies and Data Type

GSM:850/900/1800/1900; UMTS: Band 1(2100), II (1900, IV (1700), V(850); LTE: Band 4 (1700), Nabd 17 (700)

EDIT: you both beat me.
yes it's band 17 I m getting that update enabled band 17 on my phone

yes it's band 17 I m getting that update enabled band 17 on my phone

I don't know if you are confused or ignorant but Tmobile does not have any spectrum in band 17. They have band 12. Your phone cannot connect to 17 unless you had an att sim in.

I don't know if you are confused or ignorant but Tmobile does not have any spectrum in band 17. They have band 12. Your phone cannot connect to 17 unless you had an att sim in.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-light.html. Here's the link for proof

I don't know what the link was to prove. You proved my point. It is only Band 17 NOT band 12. What are you trying to prove?

Quad Band GSM; UMTS: Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850); LTE: 1, 17

That's what I was saying band 17 is 700 mghz I even checked on the samsung website...that's Verizon's former 700 mghz A block spectrum t mobile bought from them

The 700 A block spectrum that T-Mobile is buying is band 12

That's what I was saying band 17 is 700 mghz I even checked on the samsung website...that's Verizon's former 700 mghz A block spectrum t mobile bought from them

Band 17 LTE is B & C blocks of Lower 700MHz spectrum. It's AT&T's boutique band here in the US.

As others have told you in this thread, 700 MHz A Block falls outside of Band 17. It is Band 12.

thank you for

As others have told you in this thread, 700 MHz A Block falls outside of Band 17. It is Band 12.

Band 17 LTE is B & C blocks of Lower 700MHz spectrum. It's AT&T's boutique band here in the US.

The 700 A block spectrum that T-Mobile is buying is band 12

thank you for clarifing it and now i understand ......and whats boutiuqe spectrum ?

thank you for

thank you for clarifing it and now i understand ......and whats boutiuqe spectrum ?

It's specialized to exclude 700 A. It was more to keep those with 700 A block spectrum from getting cheaper device costs. There are other carriers that use Band 17 though, so it's not exclusive to AT&T.

It's specialized to exclude 700 A. It was more to keep those with 700 A block spectrum from getting cheaper device costs. There are other carriers that use Band 17 though, so it's not exclusive to AT&T.

and i can clairfy that the device update i got this morning did infact enable volte and the lte a block capability because i reflash my phone to the stock firmware with out the update and i have almost no signal and the lte disconnects on a call now since it doesnt have the update and when i flashed it the lte signal was much stronger and the lte stay connected during a call ...after the update and thank you for the clairfication

and i can clairfy that the device update i got this morning did infact enable volte and the lte a block capability because i reflash my phone to the stock firmware with out the update and i have almost no signal and the lte disconnects on a call now since it doesnt have the update and when i flashed it the lte signal was much stronger and the lte stay connected during a call ...after the update and thank you for the clairfication

No sir, whatever software update you received didn't enable 700A block capability because the hardware isn't Band 12 capable, it's Band 17. I even pointed you to the FCC documentation to show you this and there have been no permissive changes to that device either. The only way that you're getting 700MHz LTE with that particular device is if you're using an AT&T SIM, not a T-Mobile SIM. Everybody has been trying to explain this to you but hey, if you don't wish to believe us or the FCC so be it. 

Come to think of it, a simple screen shot from Signal Check Pro might be able to settle this issue.

No sir, whatever software update you received didn't enable 700A block capability because the hardware isn't Band 12 capable, it's Band 17. I even pointed you to the FCC documentation to show you this and there have been no permissive changes to that device either. The only way that you're getting 700MHz LTE with that particular device is if you're using an AT&T SIM, not a T-Mobile SIM. Everybody has been trying to explain this to you but hey, if you don't wish to believe us or the FCC so be it. 

Come to think of it, a simple screen shot from Signal Check Pro might be able to settle this issue.

how do I upload one from my phone