LTE roaming on Verizon?

The current roaming agreements are still mainly for voice so that people can make and receive calls in case of emergency, but i do not see there being an emergency reason that someone would need a 10Mb/s download speed... except maybe robert, to respond to this forum... but he already has verizon LTE b/c he pays for it.

I might conceivably see sprint changing their plans to charge for the ability to roam on vzw LTE in the future, but that would need a phone that had an extra antenna for the 700MHz band that verizon uses. Very slim chance, and since it would require special phones that are more expensive, so I do not really see it happening.

This reminds me of something I was talking to a few friends about... I never go over my minutes, and sometimes never use them at all! So on sprints higher billing tiers, what is the benefit? How on earth does sprint plan on convincing people that it is a good deal to opt into their higher priced plans without giving them only additional minutes that they don't need? If they included an amount of tethering or maybe calling to Canada/Mexico at least.

Maybe I'm crazy, but sprint needs something to make it seem worth it to pay more.

Besides the iPhone, do any other Sprint devices have chipsets and antennas that support 750Mhz LTE?

No other handsets. Of course, a few iPad models do. And most recently, a Sierra Wireless hotspot is the trailblazer, covering all currently active US LTE bands. Off the top of my head, I do not have the model number, but I started a thread about its FCC OET authorization docs back in December, if I recall correctly.

AJ

• Like 1

This reminds me of something I was talking to a few friends about... I never go over my minutes, and sometimes never use them at all! So on sprints higher billing tiers, what is the benefit? How on earth does sprint plan on convincing people that it is a good deal to opt into their higher priced plans without giving them only additional minutes that they don't need? If they included an amount of tethering or maybe calling to Canada/Mexico at least.

Maybe I'm crazy, but sprint needs something to make it seem worth it to pay more.

In what sense are you paying more? I'm confused. Who are you comparing Sprint's plans to?

Forget LTE, allow 3G roaming and I'll be happy.

You do have "3G" roaming. You mean EV-DO roaming.

AJ

In what sense are you paying more? I'm confused. Who are you comparing Sprint's plans to?

I was talking about the pricing tiers that sprint has on their plans for smartphones, including individual and family plans. One of the metrics that investors look to is ARPU (average revenue per user) and of course being a business they need to look at ways to increase their total revenue. One way would be to include more features for the higher tiers, giving the customers something for the increased prices. If they do successfully include extra features that make them more competitive with the duopoly of att/vzw, they will be a force to be reckoned with. (post NV)

I was talking about the pricing tiers that sprint has on their plans for smartphones, including individual and family plans. One of the metrics that investors look to is ARPU (average revenue per user) and of course being a business they need to look at ways to increase their total revenue. One way would be to include more features for the higher tiers, giving the customers something for the increased prices. If they do successfully include extra features that make them more competitive with the duopoly of att/vzw, they will be a force to be reckoned with. (post NV)

Sprint historically has had some of the best market ARPU, but part of the reason they fell by the wayside was the perks that were given away by the ladle full. At the end of the day, Sprint is cheaper than both AT&T and Verizon, so what perks would make that deal sweeter and still make good business sense?

But we've taken this topic off course enough, we can discuss Sprint's perks in another thread :)

You do have "3G" roaming. You mean EV-DO roaming.

AJ

I could honestly see more of this happening. VZW is reducing the prices it charges MVNO's to connect to its 3G network to make it more attractive and still earn money on it as VZW customers migrate to LTE. Perhaps they will charge less for EV-DO roaming to encourage its use.