Is your community killing your shot at LTE?

I don't really think Sprint coverage is all that bad in Orange County.

It's not. I am very familiar with South Orange County and rarely encounter any service holes. Once they acquired Nextel they were able to get around NIMBY's and add CDMA to some key iDEN cell site locations in places like Mission Viejo, Irvine, Aliso Viejo, San Clemente, and Capistrano. It helped a lot. From what I've seen Sprint has not taken a 'screw it' approach to that area. Central and Northern OC from Tustin North is rock solid for the most part.

Edited by larryt510
  • Like 1

The bull$### Americans willfully and adamently ingest every day is more harmful than any amount of radiation from communications. Carbonated beverages cause far more health issues, but the same looney nimby who fears "cell tower brain fry" sucks down a couple cans of diet coke every day. Most americans who are obsessed with the radiation topic will feed themselves to death long radiation gets them.

My favorite misnomer back in the early 2000's were the gas station attendants who would refuse to turn on a gas pump if they saw you talking or using a phone. I remember the first time this happened to me, 2004. I was out in no mans land, had swiped a credit card for gas, but the pump wouldnt come on. The station attendant came on the speaker outside and said "sir, you gotta turn off dat phone if you want gas". So I walked in and had a toothless wonder look at me with the conviction of jesus in her eyes tell me that the phones "comucatin" around gas pumps cause fires and explosions and I was to either follow the rules or get out.

All while there was a cell tower at the edge of the parking lot with 4-5 carriers blasting out a ton of RF not causing fires ;)

• Like 2

It's not. I am very familiar with South Orange County and rarely encounter any service holes. Once they acquired Nextel they were able to get around NIMBY's and add CDMA to some key iDEN cell site locations in places like Mission Viejo, Irvine, Aliso Viejo, San Clemente, and Capistrano. It helped a lot. From what I've seen Sprint has not taken a 'screw it' approach to that area. Central and Northern OC from Tustin North is rock solid for the most part.

Much agreed. They have some issues with indoor coverage, but that will be addressed once they refarm ESMR. Even before Nextel, I had sprint in the late 90's and early 2000's. I never remember having issues with coverage and I spent a lot of time in all of southern orange county.

I think it's a tough area to cover. The geography is very mixed and there are no high-rise buildings to utilize.

How many years did you say it took for Sprint to build out that tower over by pyramid lake in LA?

No, a simple pill just will not cut it. For the tinfoil hat crowd, we need to create and market an anti RF anal suppository. Sure, it is the size of a football. But if you are really concerned about RF, shove this up your butt, and you will be protected. Trust us.

AJ

:rofl: Great idea. :rofl:

How many years did you say it took for Sprint to build out that tower over by pyramid lake in LA?

Been in the planning stages for 10 years now and STILL not built! The latest attempt was late 2011 and still waiting for construction to begin. I'm going to write that one off I think.

What a bummer. What's the hold up?

San Francisco is probably telling them that it will give their babies herpasyphlaids from the added radiation. That the current radiation is already too high, and even just the slightest amount more would cause grave consequences.

• Like 2

Dumb people...just the way politicians like 'em. A bit of Fahrenheit 451, anyone?

Fortunately, I'm on the east coast...an area with people marginally less dumb and very dependant on their phones, but overly impatient with the LTE rollout.

• Like 1

Dumb people...just the way politicians like 'em. A bit of Fahrenheit 451, anyone?

Fortunately, I'm on the east coast...an area with people marginally less dumb and very dependant on their phones, but overly impatient with the LTE rollout.

Lol...Long Island comes to mind, and most of Southern NJ, where Sprint coverage is sporadic at best.

No, a simple pill just will not cut it. For the tinfoil hat crowd, we need to create and market an anti RF anal suppository. Sure, it is the size of a football. But if you are really concerned about RF, shove this up your butt, and you will be protected. Trust us.

AJ

They could always live in the RF free zone in WV right? Haha!

AJ

Ok, where can I get those at? Do they exist? lol

If Sprint bothered to truly engage us as a community (and not just do a social media checklist), I bet we'd be happy to show up at these meetings and voice our support for new towers.

Engaged customers are your best evangelists... Have some Sprint engineers post here, give a 10% S4GRU code to sponsors, etc. it doesn't cost much, but it provides a powerful marketing channel and a base of support to counter the tin foil types.

I blame the gutting of science education and education funding in general. My generation is making learning, nerditry*, etc cool again but it will take years to undo the damage.

* a perfectly cromulent word.

• Like 2

I think people just want to complain about anything. I mean if the towers in your yard and its over head then maybe a little radition. I bet these anti-tower people have wifi in there house lol. Then the first to complain about crumy service. Dont put them by schools thats fine but in a middle of a field with no house for a 1/2 mile? They believe what someone else says or reads it some where like the state farm commerical "where did you hear that? On the web they cant put anything untrue on the web"

. Mostly elderly because they beleive that all radiation is deadly! I have heard this from some of them

Edited by z250kid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.getthecelloutatl.com

This might be my new favorite poster child website to sum up NIMBY-ism.

Do these people realize that T-Mobile is eventually going to put up small cells that push out much less RF and that they won't be able to stop those small cells from happening because by the time they notice, they'll be operational?

Haha that's funny there.... They protest at a tmobile store....errrr right that'll help...

Funny they set goal of 1k signatures and only have 400 thus far since last august.... One would think if this was a big deal, since it effects 10 schools they would of been able to muster up more than 40 signatures per school....

That tells me that as usual there are a small niche of ppl blowing this out of proportion...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2