Connection Optimizer, what is the benefits for you???

GorkaIQ

i just want to know how benefits this on your life, for example, if im in work, and have the connection optimzer on, even if i have the wifi off, turn on and connects, but is i have it off the CO doesn't connect to wifi until is turn it on. that suppose to work with 4G too. any expirience with LTE???

post-8180-0-13494200-1359480305_thumb.png

Also, even though the WiFi switch will be "on" in the settings, it does not scan constantly for a signal like many people think. So it only uses extra power when scanning periodically for a known WiFi signal to use instead of 3G. If you manually turn on/off your WiFi when you know it is available, then the Connection Optimizer will make almost no difference for your experience, the only thing it may do is make your battery life worse in the event you do it EVERY time you go in/out of WiFi range.

For the average user, it will actually probably increase battery life and overall user experience. I'd imagine most users never think about turning WiFi on/off at home or when travelling.

i just want to know how benefits this on your life, for example, if im in work, and have the connection optimzer on, even if i have the wifi off, turn on and connects, but is i have it off the CO doesn't connect to wifi until is turn it on. that suppose to work with 4G too. any expirience with LTE???

I leave the Connections Optimizer on, it logs locations that you have connected to WiFi previously. So even if you have turned WiFi off, when it notices that you are in an area that you have used WiFi before, it will briefly switch WiFi on to scan and see if the signal is there, and connect if it is. It also logs locations that you have connected to LTE, so when you are in a location or connected to a tower that you have had LTE before, it will automatically scan for LTE if you aren't already connected.

It does cycle your WiFi on and off periodically (if you have WiFi off), but it is not very often and I have noticed no battery life issues.

• Like 1

Messing around, I removed it from my note 2 and it helped the life of the already crazy life of the note 2. Simply turning it off will do nothing for you. But it showed to help being removed. It's part of the system tho and cause issues once in a while so it's not recommended and I didn't care to bother fully removing it.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk

Messing around, I removed it from my note 2 and it helped the life of the already crazy life of the note 2. Simply turning it off will do nothing for you. But it showed to help being removed. It's part of the system tho and cause issues once in a while so it's not recommended and I didn't care to bother fully removing it.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk

I removed it as well, but it kept causing the settings -> more settings menu to crash. So I froze it with Titanium Backup and now it is just greyed out on that menu. I didn't like the service running all the time myself either. I dug into it one time looking at the tables and such it saves on the phone. I didn't see anything about LTE going on in there, it was all about wifi and it remembering EVERY single wifi hotspot your phone happened to scan. It marked where they were LAT and LONG and 1X base station ID. Then it kept track of which ones you were connected to and how much data you used on each. It even had spots in the databases for wifi passwords, I didn't see the password populated though. Along with the permissions of it being able to use the net too combined with all this I just didn't feel comfortable about it being on my phone. I can handle the wifi connection myself.

My concern with the Connection Optimizer is connecting to random, unknown Wi-Fi points. I'm not sure exactly if just connecting to these points can send unencrypted info and someone in the middle can nab that info. I don't even use the free ones at the airport or malls just because I simply don't know. You read all these articles that say don't do it for computers, but not sure if the same rules apply for smartphones? :confused:

My concern with the Connection Optimizer is connecting to random, unknown Wi-Fi points. I'm not sure exactly if just connecting to these points can send unencrypted info and someone in the middle can nab that info. I don't even use the free ones at the airport or malls just because I simply don't know. You read all these articles that say don't do it for computers, but not sure if the same rules apply for smartphones? :confused:

Oh it is very true for smartphones unless you are using https/SSL. But then again, who's to say someone isn't putting up a fake access point for man in the middle attack to harvest IDs and passwords. I used to use free wifi all the time, but then when attended a security demo a presentation was done. They showed how simple it was with tools off the internet to harvest data out of the unsecured packets. They basically explained it as if you were talking on a CB radio everyone around you could hear what you had to say, someone just had to listen. So very true!

When I use open wifi access points I open FeatVPN and attach to my home router over a secure VPN tunnel. They are more than welcome to "listen" to that noise all day long. Even my wife stopped using open wifi and uses FeatVPN to the house once I explained it to her. Shocker there...she usually just rolls her eyes ;)

• Like 1

When I use open wifi access points I open FeatVPN and attach to my home router over a secure VPN tunnel. They are more than welcome to "listen" to that noise all day long. Even my wife stopped using open wifi and uses FeatVPN to the house once I explained it to her. Shocker there...she usually just rolls her eyes ;)

Thanks for sharing this. I'm interested in something like this and it's nice they have a free version to use, cause usually I wouldn't spend more than an hour at a hotspot checking emails, etc.

It was fairly easy to setup, I run Shibbys build of Tomato on my router. I believe it is also available in Toastmans builds too. They run OpenVPN. Love being able to vpn straight into my network anyways. Cool stuff.

Sent from my little Note2

AFAIK Connection Optimizer will alert you that unencrypted WiFi points are available, but it won't automatically connect to any hotspot that you don't already have set for automatic connections under the WiFi Settings menu.

• Like 1

AFAIK Connection Optimizer will alert you that unencrypted WiFi points are available, but it won't automatically connect to any hotspot that you don't already have set for automatic connections under the WiFi Settings menu.

By Mac ID or SSID? .. Because no one ever names their access point the same right? ;)

By Mac ID or SSID? .. Because no one ever names their access point the same right? ;)

I'm sure it's by SSID, alas. Then again I have everything critical on my phone encrypted end-to-end anyway, although I haven't gone as far as using a VPN (yet).

I'm sure it's by SSID, alas. Then again I have everything critical on my phone encrypted end-to-end anyway, although I haven't gone as far as using a VPN (yet).

Weaklest link saying applies.. Best 30 min investment on setup ever.

Weaklest link saying applies.. Best 30 min investment on setup ever.

Wish I could figure this VPN thing out. I made all keys and got them all in on the VPN Tunneling page using Tomato Firmware. When I test to see if it works, I get an error message... can't connect. I've tried starting over twice and still get the same results. Any recommendations you could provide?

Edit: A bit of an update. I did manage to finally get connected to the VPN Tunnel though my router. The only outstanding issue is that it keeps timing out when I'm connected and browsing the web. I'd still be curious to know what your setup is like and see if I can make some tweaks to my existing settings to keep it from timing out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been finding this connection optimizer to be quite useful. I'm in a lot of buildings where I have poor sprint signal but has in building WiFi my connection optimizer connects to the WiFi network without me having to turn it in manually. When I left the building it turns it off automatically which helps me out tremendously. It does have some battery drain but not enough to freak out about.

Connection optimizer is actually very interesting. It used 3G to signal when to turn on my 4g radio in my EVO 3D. The downside is that I feel it is a little..... optimistic.. about where WiMax actually exists.

Still, it doesn't bother me and I find myself using more WiMax bandwidth than I did before. It does make me use more battery than normal due to having the 4g radio on but that is fine as I am usually near a charger during the day.

I've been finding this connection optimizer to be quite useful. I'm in a lot of buildings where I have poor sprint signal but has in building WiFi my connection optimizer connects to the WiFi network without me having to turn it in manually. When I left the building it turns it off automatically which helps me out tremendously. It does have some battery drain but not enough to freak out about.

For Wi-Fi, it probably is of little benefit.  Leave Wi-Fi on all the time.  I do and notice no significant battery drain.

AJ

For Wi-Fi, it probably is of little benefit.  Leave Wi-Fi on all the time.  I do and notice no significant battery drain.

AJ

Same here, wifi stays on all the time.

For Wi-Fi, it probably is of little benefit. Leave Wi-Fi on all the time. I do and notice no significant battery drain.

AJ

Same here, wifi stays on all the time.
.. Wifi uses less than 3G. It goes to sleep sometimes depending on your device. Still get all my emails and attachments its all good

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It logs the spots that I have connected to 4g and wi-fi and automatically connects when you return to the areas. Right now it is pretty useful since 4g just started popping up all over my area.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2