Sprint removable SIM likelihood

Thomas L.

Since we know that part of Mosayoshi Son's strategy with the Sprint and indirect Clearwire acquisition was to take advantage of economies of scale with equipment, it seems likely that removable SIM cards will become necessary to take advantage of that between handsets in the US, Japan, and perhaps on China Mobile's TD-LTE network. What do you guys think the likelihood is of us starting to see removable SIMs in Sprint devices now, and when do you think we might start seeing them? Or am I off in thinking this is a change that will happen?

Tommy

Since we know that part of Mosayoshi Son's strategy with the Sprint and indirect Clearwire acquisition was to take advantage of economies of scale with equipment, it seems likely that removable SIM cards will become necessary to take advantage of that between handsets in the US, Japan, and perhaps on China Mobile's TD-LTE network. What do you guys think the likelihood is of us starting to see removable SIMs in Sprint devices now, and when do you think we might start seeing them? Or am I off in thinking this is a change that will happen?

Tommy

The change will happen, but the big question is when. As of right now, we aren't entirely sure that the FCC and the Justice Department will let the Clearwire go through. Only time will tell. And from what has been quoted around here, Sprint was going to move to removable SIM's for their next generation LTE devices anyway, we just don't know when that generation will start.

AJ has theorized that removable SIM's will come about with Sprint after the sunsetting of the Nextel iDEN network. iDEN devices use SIM cards.

Robert

• Like 1

iphone already has removable sim, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next generation of android phones to start utilizing them

I imagine that Sprint would have preferred that its iPhone offerings not have a removable SIM yet. But Apple is such an egregious dictator and the iPhone such a cultish device that Sprint had little choice.

AJ

I'm assuming you guys mean SIMs that include LTE & CDMA provisioning. In any case, was it really necessary for Sprint to lock down the SIM slots on LTE devices(excluding the iPhone)? Sprint has continued to sell World Phones with user-accessable SIM slots even after the Nextel merger so many years ago. However, this seems to have ended with the release of the Photon Q.

What's the advantage of removable SIM cards? Besides a "bring your own phone to Sprint", which only really works for devices made for Sprint anyways... I can't say I get it.

What's the advantage of removable SIM cards? Besides a "bring your own phone to Sprint", which only really works for devices made for Sprint anyways... I can't say I get it.

You can switch Sprint phones at will.

• Like 2

You currently can. Sprint.com, in any Sprint store, or *2 for Customer Care (which works on any Sprint phone, even unactivated and deactivated ones), and a swap takes only a minute. Not really much of an advantage.

As for the iDEN SIM comparison, not even those work how people want them to. Extra provisioning is required on the backend (aka a swap through the above mentioned channels), else things like SMS and Data will often fail. It used to be a very common fix for Service and Repair - somebody would come in with a (for example) i686 and say "nobody can text me!", and we'd have to change their device serial number to the correct one, away from the old phone - even though the SIM was already in the i686.

I buy broken phones, repair them, and then resell them as a little side hobby for "fun" money. Being able to pop my SIM in to take the phone for a test drive without having to use the online tool, which fails alot, or call CS is a big plus for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

They work pretty well in Europe. I don't know abt Nextel. They are supposed to contain all the info that you need to have the services you want. If you want to add services, then you can have them provisioned separately. The SIM is supposed to contain all the authorizations for services you contracted for.

With a SIM slot, someone can also steal your phone and use it at will. Not a big fan of that "capability."

AJ

• Like 2

The SIM is supposed to contain all the authorizations for services you contracted for.

Unfortunately, it is not always that simple. SIMs may work transparently for certain provisioned services, e.g. voice and SMS. But data often requires manual configuration to enter the correct APN.

AJ

It can also be blacklisted.

Neither AT&T nor T-Mobile blacklist stolen subscriber phones. But Sprint does because it still controls its own ESN database.

So, we are back to a give and take situation. We agree with some of the choices that carriers make, disagree with others. There is no perfect situation.

AJ

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it is not always that simple. SIMs may work transparently for certain provisioned services, e.g. voice and SMS. But data often requires manual configuration to enter the correct APN.

AJ

Yes and no. I had no problem with that when I went over to Europe. I purchased a sim that was also authorized for data. Did not need to enter anything. Now, when I used my AT&T iPhone on StraightTalk, I had to enter all that stuff.

Neither AT&T nor T-Mobile blacklist stolen subscriber phones. But Sprint does because it still controls its own ESN database.

So, we are back to a give and take situation. We agree with some of the choices that carriers make, disagree with others. There is no perfect situation.

AJ

AT&T and T-Mobile just recently agreed to blacklist, I think by IMEI number.

AT&T and T-Mobile just recently agreed to blacklist, I think by IMEI number.

Well, it is about time, but a lot of good that does the past 10-15 years. I imagine they had to be regulated or shamed into the decision.

AJ

Well, it is about time, but a lot of good that does the past 10-15 years. I imagine they had to be regulated or shamed into the decision.

AJ

Shame works. The threat of regulation does as well.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/att-customers-can-start-blocking-stolen-devices-on-july-10/

I buy broken phones, repair them, and then resell them as a little side hobby for "fun" money. Being able to pop my SIM in to take the phone for a test drive without having to use the online tool, which fails alot, or call CS is a big plus for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There's a legitimate enough reason. But you can still go WiFi (for smartphones), and test call to *2 still works. I suppose the swap allows you to see if the device is actually activatable (aka not stolen, not active).

The reason the online tool likely fails is why SIM swaps would be troublesome: different data types have different plan codes. A 4G WiMAX device, a 4G LTE device, a 3G only device, a 1X only device, and hybrid devices are all provisioned differently by Sprint. Now, I'm sure that could be fixed, but it would require a complete overhaul of many of Sprint's backend services in that regard.

You currently can. Sprint.com, in any Sprint store, or *2 for Customer Care (which works on any Sprint phone, even unactivated and deactivated ones), and a swap takes only a minute. Not really much of an advantage.

As for the iDEN SIM comparison, not even those work how people want them to. Extra provisioning is required on the backend (aka a swap through the above mentioned channels), else things like SMS and Data will often fail. It used to be a very common fix for Service and Repair - somebody would come in with a (for example) i686 and say "nobody can text me!", and we'd have to change their device serial number to the correct one, away from the old phone - even though the SIM was already in the i686.

Last time I tried to swap phones it wanted me to change my plan. Will swap carriers before I swap plans.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Last time I tried to swap phones it wanted me to change my plan. Will swap carriers before I swap plans.

That as well, as an addendum to my previous post. The automated swap tool does not support Sprint plans outside of "advertised" ones. It comes up with the plan change screen if, as I mentioned, you switch from (for example) 4G WiMAX to 4G LTE. Or if it freaks out over SERO, etc.

Or if it freaks out over SERO, etc.

I will stand up and applaud the day that Sprint terminates SERO plans or requires them to be converted to current subscriber plans. That Sprint seemingly looks the other way while some cheat the system through a loophole is one of the most distasteful things about Sprint. I hope that Sprint's improving position will soon give it the strength to tell the SERO crowd to get fully on board or go elsewhere.

AJ

I will stand up and applaud the day that Sprint terminates SERO plans or requires them to be converted to current subscriber plans. That Sprint seemingly looks the other way while some cheat the system through a loophole is one of the most distasteful things about Sprint. I hope that Sprint's improving position will soon give it the strength to tell the SERO crowd to get fully on board or go elsewhere.

AJ

I will wear a huge goofy Sprint suit all day and applaud Sprint the day they decide to actually fix the huge POS network they bought from Gulf Coast Wireless.

I was going to leave twice but their retention dept prevented me from doing so.

• Like 1

I will wear a huge goofy Sprint suit all day and applaud Sprint the day they decide to actually fix the huge POS network they bought from Gulf Coast Wireless.

I have never seen any correlation between SERO plans and underserved affiliate markets. That is a conflation, a rationalization that you make.

I was going to leave twice but their retention dept prevented me from doing so.

No one "prevented" you from leaving. You chose to stay because of the SERO loophole and probably other discounts/credits that Sprint threw your way.

Lest anyone think that I am picking on just digiblur or SERO, I would like for Sprint to dump all discounts (even my corporate discount). The cheats and loopholes in the system are just ridiculous. Sprint should offer everyone the lowest prices that it can bear, no further discounts. Then, reward longevity with perks. That is how business should be conducted.

AJ

• Like 1