Sprint removable SIM likelihood

Thomas L.

Wouldn't one good advantage of having SIMs is the ability to use devices not sold by Sprint(contingent on the device supporting one of Sprint bands)?

True, but how useful do you think that will be anytime soon? Sprint is a CDMA2000 carrier, which is becoming rare, so essentially all CDMA2000 devices are made for specific carriers. Not to mention, fully functional Sprint LTE devices will need to support bands 25, 26, and 41 -- all of which are unique to Sprint in the US.

Back in the day, some tried to use GSM 1900 only handsets on Cingular, but they missed out on the capacity and coverage of GSM 850. The experience was lackluster, mainly style over substance.

AJ

Why do current devices(regardless of carrier) only have one or two bands (of the many it has for CDMA, GSM, etc.) with LTE capabilities?

...because most US market devices are built for specific carriers, and that is not apt to change as long as the contract-subsidy system remains in place.

AJ

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sounds like the HTC One will be Sprint's first device with a removal LTE SIM per today's Engadget article.

Actually, various Apple iOS devices and the Kyocera Torque already claimed the removable SIM mantle, but the inclusion in the HTC One is still momentous.

AJ

• Like 2

Sounds like the HTC One will be Sprint's first device with a removal LTE SIM per today's Engadget article.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

The iPhone 5 was first and the Kyocera Torch, a Direct Connect device meant mainly for job sites, was the second.

This is good news that the new Sprint LTE phones in 2013 are starting to have removable sims. Hopefully the Galaxy S4 comes with a removable sim to confirm this trend for 2013 Sprint LTE phones.

This is the Engadget article that references a removable SIM on the Sprint HTC One.

http://www.engadget....-sprint-review/

Taken from the Engadget article

"For those of you just getting around to cross-shopping the HTC One against other devices, we'll give you a lightning tour of the handset. On board, you've got a standard micro-USB / MHL port along the bottom edge, as well as a metal volume rocker on the right side, and a micro-SIM tray on the left. Of note, the Sprint One is among the first of the carrier's LTE devices to offer a replaceable SIM. Up top, you'll find your requisite headphone jack and power / lock button, which doubles as an IR blaster. Meanwhile the back side is home to a 4MP UltraPixel camera with flash. Moving back to the front side, you'll find the 2.1-megapixel, front-facing camera, as well as an LED notification light, tucked under the top speaker grille, just above the screen."

Still a bit surprising that its FCC filing didn't even mention GSM support. Maybe some here on the forums can try putting in a GSM SIM and see what happens. It would be nice if Sprint starts selling their GSM capable phones with the SIM slots fully unlocked, like VZW did with the Droid DNA.

Still a bit surprising that its FCC filing didn't even mention GSM support. Maybe some here on the forums can try putting in a GSM SIM and see what happens.

That someone would have to be overseas.

AJ

• Like 1

Or have an overseas SIM with US roaming capabilities?

No, that will not work. The Sprint variant HTC One does not support GSM 850/1900 nor W-CDMA 850/1900. See my article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-342-updated-all-for-htc-one-htc-one-for-all/

AJ

No' date=' that will not work. The Sprint variant HTC One does not support GSM 850/1900 nor W-CDMA 850/1900. See my article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-342-updated-all-for-htc-one-htc-one-for-all/

AJ[/quote']

I would like to counter your argument by directing you to my article: http/:...&@"-.com/pop/2687

If you can't get the hyperlink to work just trust me, my counter argument is bullet proof...

(I don't know how to do emoticons from my phone, so insert winky smiley face here showing the subtle sarcasm that this post is the closest thing to an article of mine).

I see that Sprint has WCDMA support for 700 and AWS bands. Which countries deploy WCDMA support in the 700 MHz band. Seems like a weird band to support WCDMA when it would have been better to include 1900 instead.

I see that Sprint has WCDMA support for 700 and AWS bands. Which countries deploy WCDMA support in the 700 MHz band. Seems like a weird band to support WCDMA when it would have been better to include 1900 instead.

I have to admit I LOL'ed when I saw 700 WCDMA support.

Where do you see that? Not here, I guarantee because it is wrong.

AJ

Where do you see that? Not here, I guarantee because it is wrong.

AJ

I meant to say that it appears from the Engadget article in the link in my previous posts that the Sprint HTC One supports WCDMA at 700 and AWS bands. The table says which bands it supports and along with CDMA at 850/1900 and LTE at 1900 it says it supports WCDMA 700 and AWS bands.

Its probably a typo or the guy is clueless. Either way, I was kinda skeptical too so I was just wanted to throw that out to see if I was just seeing things.

Engadget, in this case, has bad info, plain and simple. Domestically, the Sprint variant is authorized for only Cellular, PCS, and SMR.

AJ

WCDMA roaming on AWS I can maybe understand for Moblicity or WIND in Canada, but other than that? Nope.

700? I have never even heard of a device supporting 700 WCDMA anywhere ever.

Please have removable SIM in tri-band LTE phones this year. :)

If the Galaxy S4 has removable SIMs which would be the 2nd phone in 2013 to have removable SIM. I don't see a reason why Sprint would discontinue removable SIMs from this point forward regardless if it is single or tri band LTE phone.