HD Voice and NV

Really? I wonder if it was a local issue. I've used every phone under the sun, and have yet to come across that issue, unless I was in a low signal area (-110dB 1x)

I was home, and supposedly, the tower a block away is now NV-ready, and has been for three weeks. Sadly, the 3G speeds are still under 300kb, and the voice call I made seriously sounds like an AM country radio station as youre climbing a mountain - static, distortion and muffled sound.

Signal was -81.

I was home, and supposedly, the tower a block away is now NV-ready, and has been for three weeks. Sadly, the 3G speeds are still under 300kb, and the voice call I made seriously sounds like an AM country radio station as youre climbing a mountain - static, distortion and muffled sound.

Signal was -81.

I wonder if it's your device?

I dont think so, it is usually fine, and I did a wimax test and that came in at the normal 5-6mb.

Yeah but that's different. All the voice calls are connected over 1x, which is totally different from WiMAX.

The only reason I say that is because normally, CDMA 1x has the best sound quality, and in my personal experience, the only time there was an issue was when I was in a poor coverage area, or the hardware was defective.

Yeah but that's different. All the voice calls are connected over 1x, which is totally different from WiMAX.

The only reason I say that is because normally, CDMA 1x has the best sound quality, and in my personal experience, the only time there was an issue was when I was in a poor coverage area, or the hardware was defective.

Right, but as I noted data speeds were poor too, on 3G, but fine on 4G. So at least half my phone is working!

I think its something with the tower. And yes, Ive had much better voice on sprint than I ever did when I was on AT&t. That being said, I still want HD

The voice quality on the Nokia Lumia 521 on T-Mobile UMTS is nothing short of amazing. I was blown away the first time I tried it, my first impressions were how much bass and clarity there was! Instead of being real flat it was more natural like having the person in the room. I thought it seemed a little better then a good VOIP call.

my iPhone on Sprint is good and natural sounding too, I actually enjoy most conversations on it (depending on what carrier the other end is on) but I really liked HD voice!

I wouldn't mind my next Sprint phone to have it, I always think audio quality on a phone call can be better. 

My previous S3 didn't have as good of sound quality as the iP5 IMO, I never liked talking on it much and felt that listening was more of a strain especially in louder environments (I think Apples noise cancelling works better) 

As for talking to people on AT&T my head hurts after those conversations. (or worse yet Verizon) 

Call quality going from CDMA to GSM is always going to suck until we have upgraded from that to LTE to UMTS or LTE to LTE HD Voice with PCM carrier interconnect. 

Call quality going from CDMA to GSM is always going to suck until we have upgraded from that to LTE to UMTS or LTE to LTE HD Voice with PCM carrier interconnect.

Sprint to T-Mobile doesn't suck. It's just ATT

Sprint currently uses the ulaw codec to interconnect with other carriers and to backhaul all the calls from a tower to a switch. This is the standard legacy codec for the PSTN. 

AT&T and Verizon are hit or miss on if the call is backhauled via ulaw, usually it is compressed. With AT&T, the call is further degraded because of the half rate GSM over the air codec between the phone and tower. 

Verizon has the option of ulaw or g729 (a compressed codec) from the tower to the switch and switch to the PSTN. So call quality can vary with them. I do not know what codec they use between handset and tower though.

• 1 month later...

I had probably the worst sounding call I ever had two days ago; it was a Sprint/Verizon call. When I heard the word "under water" described I apparently took that with a grain of salt, but the person I was speaking to really did sound like she was under water! not only that but also sounded like she just had her mouth numbed from the dentist, and had a mouth full of shit as well, combine that together and I couldn't understand a word for the life of me. I had to call back on her landline and it was clear as a bell, obviously it wasn't me! I held that clear call just fine inside with just 1-2 bars on my iPhone. 

I never realized Verizon could sound that bad... 

• Like 1

I had probably the worst sounding call I ever had two days ago; it was a Sprint/Verizon call. When I heard the word "under water" described I apparently took that with a grain of salt, but the person I was speaking to really did sound like she was under water! not only that but also sounded like she just had her mouth numbed from the dentist, and had a mouth full of shit as well, combine that together and I couldn't understand a word for the life of me. I had to call back on her landline and it was clear as a bell, obviously it wasn't me! I held that clear call just fine inside with just 1-2 bars on my iPhone.

I never realized Verizon could sound that bad...

Oh yeah man! It's not all gold and diamonds like they make it out to be. My parents live out in rural Berkeley county SC. Zero chance of LTE out there. I can't even understand my mom when she calls. I end up calling on her landline. The funny thing is that I have decent 3G and voice out there with my Sprint iphone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the meantime anyone with iOS 7 can use FaceTime calling! the closest thing to VoLTE I've used to date (technically you could say it is, since I used it over LTE haha) 

Voice quality is phenomenal, and it works great on LTE (no idea about EVDO yet, EVDO usually sucks around here though, so I'd imagine the call would suck too) Also it's interoperable between the other three carriers! hahaha 

In the meantime anyone with iOS 7 can use FaceTime calling! the closest thing to VoLTE I've used to date (technically you could say it is, since I used it over LTE haha) 

Voice quality is phenomenal, and it works great on LTE (no idea about EVDO yet, EVDO usually sucks around here though, so I'd imagine the call would suck too) Also it's interoperable between the other three carriers! hahaha 

I do the same thing with google hangouts, beats Sprint's voice quality by a mile lol

You can also use Google Voice calls over data through apps like GrooveIP. Works surprisingly well.

Yeah I've tried that before, when I had an S3 and when my brother got a Nexus 4 on TMO. It seems like it requires a much more stable network connection then the FaceTime calling does.