Sprint lte vs Verizon lte

20x20Mhz would have to be an FDD configuration, but oh well.

He said "20X20" in reference to T-Mobile, not Sprint.

AJ

That was my point regarding uneven experience: it's a huge drop in speeds from 2.5GHz to 800MHz.

I said uneven, not better.

Big deal.  Wireless service always has and always will be "uneven."  That is the nature of the beast due to such variables as loading, fading, and interference.

So, data rates will likely be fastest in the interior of cells that have TD-LTE deployment.  Alternatively, data rates may be more consistent than expected because TD-LTE deployment will prioritize the most heavily loaded sites.

AJ

He said "20X20" in reference to T-Mobile, not Sprint.

AJ

He also said this: "He never bothered to mention that Sprint is doing the same and likely sooner than T-Mobile, Verizon, or AT&T.

"

Nonetheless, the fact that Sprint is already launching Tri Band UE is a great thing, brings us hope. I really hope I was wrong earlier.

• Like 1

On topic though, Verizon was able to deploy LTE rapidly by simply dropping in a base station with antenna panels for LTE, and plugging in upgraded backhaul. Since their deployment is using the 700mhz band, they are able to cover a wider area with less sites.

On the other hand, Sprint is deploying LTE while upgrading their core EVDO network as well. Instead of dropping in LTE sites randomly, they are upgrading all their sites so LTE will be running on the same towers as their EVDO (3G).

we need to remember that Verizon Have 3 Diferents antennas in the same site (LTE, 1x and EV-DO), sprint have everything in the same antenna (LTE, 1x and EV-DO). so its diferent the upgrades.

for example, Verizon will make a 1x upgrade, and the 3G and 4G is not affected. but if sprint make a upgrade to LTE, the 1x and the EV-DO will be affected

we need to remember that Verizon Have 3 Diferents antennas in the same site (LTE, 1x and EV-DO), sprint have everything in the same antenna (LTE, 1x and EV-DO). so its diferent the upgrades.

for example, Verizon will make a 1x upgrade, and the 3G and 4G is not affected. but if sprint make a upgrade to LTE, the 1x and the EV-DO will be affected

Don't forget that Sprint's new NV panels have 3 internal separately adjustable antennas inside them, so an LTE upgrade on one of those will not change coverage or capacity for the 1x or EVDO services at 1900 MHz. LTE at 1900, which is being deployed now, is on a separate antenna within the same panel.

First off, LTE is usable to a full 10dBm weaker than WiMax. WiMax performance started to die off at -82dBm RSSI, LTE at -93dBm RSSI. That gives a significant edge right there. Additionally, with 60-100Mbps speeds on a 20MHz channel, even a weak TD-LTE signal is going to still run pretty darn fast, and probably faster than Sprint LTE 1900. Do not assume LTE will be the same as WiMax on the same frequency.

Second, in urban areas (and most suburban areas), Sprint's site spacing is way tighter than PCS. Sprint has made their network much denser than PCS requires for capacity sake...a long time ago.

Third, Sprint will get the entire Clearwire network. Although they will likely shutdown all the redundant sites after WiMax is slated to be taken down in a few years, it gives thousands of opportunities to shore up coverage within Sprint's footprint should there be gaps of TD-LTE coverage in important areas.

Fourth, small cells. Sprint will deploy TD-LTE small cells to shore up important gap areas and inside popular buildings/venues. Wherever needed.

Fifth, those with tri-band devices will have an uneven experience after even all this. But to have screaming fast LTE when outside, near windows, near TD-LTE sites, near small cells and then have very good LTE 1900 speeds almost every where you go, and then fall back to LTE 800 when going deep into buildings, basements and far at the edge of coverage. Sounds heavenly. Sign me up.

The only advantage that VZW would have is when deep in a building you MAY have faster service. However, in my area, VZW LTE has dropped to 1-4Mbps at peak times. I hear of these 40-60Mbps VZW speeds, but I have never seen them. This is going to make Sprint more than just competitive. AT&T and VZW are scared, because they've never had to compete on this level before.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 6

The way I see it, sprint is in a better position for the future than at&t, at least in my area. Right now at&t and verizon are running 10x10 LTE. Verizon has AWS for more capacity, at&t only has WCS which is years away. At&t has no 850 mhz on my area, verizon has it all. They might be able to refarm some 1900, maybe.

2500 will be good inside if you are close enough. WiMax was never deployed densely enough to provide good results, but I know from my local experience that if you were very close to a WiMax site, you would get an excellent signal even inside a building (I clocked over 10 Mbps in one of my customer's buildings, for example).  The problem was that few people were close enough.  Sprint's apparent plan with 2500 LTE is to use very dense spacing in those areas where it will be deployed.

As far as speed vs. frequency, the available speed is not a function of frequency, but of channel bandwidth.  A wide channel at 800 Mhz can provide more speed than a narrow one at 2500.  Keep in mind that AT&T or Verizon, maybe both, are running LTE at ~750 Mhz and getting very fast speeds.  But to really understand this, we need a guru like Digiblur or AJ to weigh in, as I don't recall the actual bandwidths available on either 800 or 2500.

If 2.5/6 ghz is only deployed by clearwire on sites from the protection network 2.5 will not be dense in most markets.  

Who said that Clearwire is only deploying TD-LTE on protection sites? That's simply not accurate.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If Sprint makes good on its promise to replace Huawei gear (many protection sites), then it seems possible (why would you only add Samsung gear for the WiMax?)

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe something is getting lost in the translation here, but adding TD-LTE only to protection sites? That doesn't really sound plausible. I don't see where that makes much sense.

If 2.5/6 ghz is only deployed by clearwire on sites from the protection network 2.5 will not be dense in most markets.  

From my understanding, I believe that Sprint plans on putting the BRS/EBS on most towers in a metro/suburban area.  This comes back to Robert's point above that Sprint has closer/tighter spacing in urban/surburban areas for capacity reasons previously.  With EBS/BRS blasting, Sprint will be a leg up ahead of the competition.

Side note, I didn't think there were any Verizon LTE devices capable of the AWS as of yet.

Edit: I see that the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is capable.

Side note, I didn't think there were any Verizon LTE devices capable of the AWS as of yet.

Very few.  VZW dual band LTE devices did not start showing up until this year.  And, even then, some new devices are still single band LTE 750.  The dual band LTE 750/2100+1700 handsets are currently limited, I believe, to the Galaxy S4 and Lumia 928.

AJ

Maybe something is getting lost in the translation here, but adding TD-LTE only to protection sites? That doesn't really sound plausible. I don't see where that makes much sense.

I have pictures and have seen crews working on the middle section (clearwire's) portion of the 81 memorial protection site 2 separate occasions. 

From my understanding, I believe that Sprint plans on putting the BRS/EBS on most towers in a metro/suburban area.  This comes back to Robert's point above that Sprint has closer/tighter spacing in urban/surburban areas for capacity reasons previously.  With EBS/BRS blasting, Sprint will be a leg up ahead of the competition.

Edit: I see that the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is capable.

Yes, in town at least Sprint has sites every couple miles. I do not know of any equipment that has been installed that would support BRS/EBS on any of the 38k Sprint cell sites. 

Who said that Clearwire is only deploying TD-LTE on protection sites? That's simply not accurate.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It certainly would make very little sense. The network clearwire operates is next to needless for sprint to run TD-lte, but i haven't seen any equipment that would be capable of broadcasting 2.5/6 Ghz installed on any of Sprint's current footprint. They need control of the spectrum to proceed, I believe that vote takes place this week. 

Here is also something to think about. With Clear coming into the fold. And the triband LTE 800/1900/2500 phones announced plus the roaming agreements that Clear has set up with the Asia/Pac carriers that Clear was testing with. Sprint will be the only LTE equipped carrier with roaming agreements.

The only advantage that VZW would have is when deep in a building you MAY have faster service. However, in my area, VZW LTE has dropped to 1-4Mbps at peak times. I hear of these 40-60Mbps VZW speeds, but I have never seen them. This is going to make Sprint more than just competitive. AT&T and VZW are scared, because they've never had to compete on this level before.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Funny that you've mentioned 40-60Mbps speeds, as I decided to get out and check out how's Verizon LTE performing. It's been a while since I've tested that carrier, even sold my HTC DNA, so had to use an iPad lol.

Verizon seriously suffers from capacity issues. During the peak hours when PRB and TTI usage is extremely high, speeds crawl, sometimes to sub 1Mbps. Often users get dropped to 3G airlink...

But on a day like today, a weekend Verizon still packs a punch. Considering that their lonely 10Mhz FDD channel has been in use for almost three years with millions of users. Give credit where credit is due.

VNUMd3el.jpg

9bNtfxvl.jpg

Very few.  VZW dual band LTE devices did not start showing up until this year.  And, even then, some new devices are still single band LTE 750.  The dual band LTE 750/2100+1700 handsets are currently limited, I believe, to the Galaxy S4 and Lumia 928.

AJ

What I totally don't understand is why Verizon didn't include AWS from the beginning?

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=99&p=1495

They knew they'd be using it eventually.

Funny that you've mentioned 40-60Mbps speeds, as I decided to get out and check out how's Verizon LTE performing. It's been a while since I've tested that carrier, even sold my HTC DNA, so had to use an iPad lol.

Verizon seriously suffers from capacity issues. During the peak hours when PRB and TTI usage is extremely high, speeds crawl, sometimes to sub 1Mbps. Often users get dropped to 3G airlink...

But on a day like today, a weekend Verizon still packs a punch. Considering that their lonely 10Mhz FDD channel has been in use for almost three years with millions of users. Give credit where credit is due.

VNUMd3el.jpg

9bNtfxvl.jpg

I don't see why credit is due. That's simply the speed of an unloaded network on equipment that hasn't broken down.

If my contract ended today I'd switch to Verizon. It ends October 1st, ill make my decision then.

For someone as interested in broadband deployment as you are, I do not fathom how you could countenance giving VZ any money.  That is basically sleeping with the enemy.

AJ

• Like 3

For someone as interested in broadband deployment as you are, I do not fathom how you could countenance giving VZ any money.  That is basically sleeping with the enemy.

AJ

My office just signed up for a corporate vzw account, we're supposed to get some incredible rate if we switch our personal line over, anyway I have family members that think sprint is dirt,as they use their lines almost soley for business and have tethering plans etc. With the current network state they would be completely unwilling to remain sprint customers if the plan ended today. Luckily there is 4 more months, but as it stands now the two decision makers for the family plan would be entirely unwilling to stay. I can only try to explain how high quality of network is coming etc, I doubt anyone advocates for sprint like I do.

I still consider vzw less of an enemy than AT&T, although both are overburdened networks and my personal stance is that switching to them is only adding to the growing problem. As for my interest in broadband deployment you are correct, it is through the roof; through the motherloving roof. 

My office just signed up for a corporate vzw account...

I find it nearly impossible to believe that VZW has a better network in Tulsa than Sprint does. One, Sprint entered the market a good decade before VZW did. In fact, all of Oklahoma was basically a black hole for VZW until roughly 2006. Two, VZW in Tulsa is operating a PCS 1900 MHz network, just like Sprint. So, about the only things that VZW could have going for it in Tulsa are that it may have a less loaded network due to late entry and smaller market share and that LTE is in Lower 700 MHz spectrum and further along in deployment.

I still consider vzw less of an enemy than AT&T...

I used to think the same way. But then the SpectrumCo acquisition came around, including cross marketing deals with Big Cable. Now, VZ, Comcast, and TWC are basically agreeing to cooperate and limit infrastructure deployment by selling each others' services. As if wired broadband had insufficient competition already, VZ and Big Cable just lowered the bar even further. And in doing so, VZ arguably has trumped AT&T as public enemy number one.

Thus, in my opinion, you and yours should cancel VZW, suck it up, and go with Sprint or T-Mobile. Otherwise, as I stated in another thread, you are being small minded, short sighted consumers, and you are just enabling the offenders.

AJ

Thus, in my opinion, you and yours should cancel VZW, suck it up, and go with Sprint or T-Mobile. Otherwise, as I stated in another thread, you are being small minded, short sighted consumers, and you are just enabling the offenders.

AJ

If it was up to me i would never leave sprint. If my parents cannot be shown that sprint works properly they will not use the service again once the term expires. I wouldnt call sprint better than Verizon in Tulsa at all, we came from Verizon /us cellular and had never had any problems, only to be a "daily struggle" with sprint. I understand that Sprint is bringing a world class Lte network, I'm very excited for it. I wouldn't say small minded is the right word for this instance, as two users on our plan are strictly for business. Price is not an issue, performance & reliability are key. I hope that come October 1 the network is far enough along i can convince them to stay, but as consumers they have a bitter taste from sprint; and i think it would take a good dosage of sugar to neutralize the malflavor. 

The company I work for is separate from theirs, i had no choice in the matter of which carrier the iPad's came through; higher up's chose VZW, so VZW it is. 

If i broke away from the family plan i would use Sprint, i get a 23% discount.

• Like 1

AJ

If it was up to me i would never leave sprint. If my parents cannot be shown that sprint works properly they will not use the service again once the term expires. I wouldnt call sprint better than Verizon in Tulsa at all, we came from Verizon /us cellular and had never had any problems, only to be a "daily struggle" with sprint. I understand that Sprint is bringing a world class Lte network, I'm very excited for it. I wouldn't say small minded is the right word for this instance, as two users on our plan are strictly for business. Price is not an issue, performance & reliability are key. I hope that come October 1 the network is far enough along i can convince them to stay, but as consumers they have a bitter taste from sprint; and i think it would take a good dosage of sugar to neutralize the malflavor. 

The company I work for is separate from theirs, i had no choice in the matter of which carrier the iPad's came through; higher up's chose VZW, so VZW it is. 

If i broke away from the family plan i would use Sprint, i get a 23% discount.

If you can't stay on sprint or move to T-mobile, go to AT&T as much as most hate them for a capped data plan they are better overall with "4g" in more places. Also CS on Verizon is 100% trash. If you have more than the most smallest issue then your in for a living nightmare of 10-15 calls to 611, then the BBB then the FCC before they will replace a 7month old clearly broken phone.

Also having both you are more likely to run into billing issues with Verizon. (Didn't think that was true till it happened to me. Thought it was BS, but it's not.)

AT&T's LTE to 3G hand off is a lot better than Verizon due to both more or less being GSM based VS CDMA to LTE = more pain in the butt trust me on that one.

But really Verizon is no longer the "gold standard" if they ever really were in the first place rushing to get buggy LTE, then they will NEVER send you a NEW phone for any thing ever no matter how many times you have had to trade it in.

End of rant due to time warner cable failing me yet again and my Verizon 4G LTE going in and out again forcing me to post with AT&T as my backup of last hope for getting on the internet.