Sprint lte vs Verizon lte

• 1 month later...

Sprint could compete head to head with any isp in a city where clear has a license. The tests that used 40MHz of spectrum were resulting in around 100Mb/s download speeds.

No, they can't. That speed is for one user connected to the tower. If there are 10 users, you divide by 10 to get 10Mb/s; 100 users, you divide by 100 to get 1Mb/s.

VZW has been upgrading its EVDO backhaul for the past two years, not to mention they also have been adding additional EVDO carriers as needed. Sprint allowed its 3G network to get overwhelmed by all these unlimited data hogs while expecting Clearwire to come through with 4G WiMax to help relieve the burden from the 3G EVDO network. And once it was apparent that Clearwire was not going to be deploying anymore WiMax (or even properly maintaining the current WiMax network where deployed), Sprint was already knee deep in Network Vision/LTE planning and starting deployment.

When you are starting Network Vision, you don't go invest billions on upgrading the legacy network that is about to be ripped out. So they have piecemealed some band aid 3G fixes to limp into Network Vision. Network Vision is the fix for Sprint's network problems.

They cannot go back and change the past now. Hindsight is always 20/20. Given their financial position at the time, the was the best course of action to take. But Clearwire and the 4G WiMax offload solution failed miserably and never delivered as promised. Otherwise, if we all had a good 4G WiMax network to carry us, waiting on LTE and 3G upgrades would have been much easier.

Robert

Could you keep me up to date that why Clear failed? Not enough money?

Sprint could compete head to head with any isp in a city where clear has a license. The tests that used 40MHz of spectrum were resulting in around 100Mb/s download speeds.

No, they can't. That speed is for one user connected to the tower. If there are 10 users, you divide by 10 to get 10Mb/s; 100 users, you divide by 100 to get 1Mb/s.

Your math is true in a theoretical 100% constant data streaming situation. Most data usage occurs in bursts, allowing for greater number of users. So you can double and triple those numbers in most instances. But your main point of it being a finite resource remains intact, and I completely agree.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Could you keep me up to date that why Clear failed? Not enough money?

It's a long story, well documented throughout our forums. It's more than just enough money. It was their entire business model and the spectrum they were using was not good enough for an independent network.

• Like 2

It's a long story, well documented throughout our forums. It's more than just enough money. It was their entire business model and the spectrum they were using was not good enough for an independent network.

Please point me towards that direction.

LTE Release 9 which is software upgrade able to Release 10 standards (LTE-Advanced). 

For Verizon using LTE Release 8, how difficult it is to upgrade to LTE-Advanced? Does it needs cellphone side support?

For Verizon using LTE Release 8, how difficult it is to upgrade to LTE-Advanced? Does it needs cellphone side support?

As far as I know no current phones support LTE-Advanced but I wouldn't be surprised to see it next year. I believe Verizon has stated that their LTE rollout will be done this year and then they will switch to LTE advanced deployment. However, it won't be as difficult for Verizon as they have the backhauls already in place for a faster network. T-Mobile is in a similar boat as Sprint in that its LTE network is easily upgradeable to LTE Advanced rather than a hardware change like Verizon.

As far as I know no current phones support LTE-Advanced but I wouldn't be surprised to see it next year. I believe Verizon has stated that their LTE rollout will be done this year and then they will switch to LTE advanced deployment. However, it won't be as difficult for Verizon as they have the backhauls already in place for a faster network. T-Mobile is in a similar boat as Sprint in that its LTE network is easily upgradeable to LTE Advanced rather than a hardware change like Verizon.

I was thinking when a carrier deploy a new technology. And only after two years they need to do upgrade. Is it really good on ROI?

• Like 1

I was thinking when a carrier deploy a new technology. And only after two years they need to do upgrade. Is it really good on ROI?

Considering this type of news http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2013/04/18/record-wireless-margins-boost-verizon-profits/:

Operating income was up 19.8% to $6.2 billion, thanks in large part to margin improvements. Those improvements were most noticeable in wireless, where Verizon booked $19.5 billion in revenue, up 6.8% from a year prior, and record margins. The company reported wireless operating income margin of 32.9% and EBITDA margin on service revenues of 50.4%.

I'd say it has worked out just fine for them to be a first mover into LTE, even if it costs them money to retrofit their towers. They will have backhauls in place and be ready to go, unlike Sprint who seems to be experiencing some major delays in getting backhaul actually in place.

Considering this type of news http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2013/04/18/record-wireless-margins-boost-verizon-profits/:

I'd say it has worked out just fine for them to be a first mover into LTE, even if it costs them money to retrofit their towers. They will have backhauls in place and be ready to go, unlike Sprint who seems to be experiencing some major delays in getting backhaul actually in place.

But that doesn't work out for clearwire, though they were first into WiMAX

But that doesn't work out for clearwire, though they were first into WiMAX

That is for sure true. However, Clearwire is a relatively small carrier and simply did not have the clout to really get WiMax moving here. Verizon NEEDED LTE similar to how Sprint NEEDED WiMax due to being CDMA carriers and not having HSPA available to scale up their 3G speeds. By waiting a bit they managed to latch on to LTE and the rest is history. Also important to note is that Verizon is #1 in global procurement for smartphones with AT&T #2. That type of buying power is huge! 

That is for sure true. However, Clearwire is a relatively small carrier and simply did not have the clout to really get WiMax moving here. Verizon NEEDED LTE similar to how Sprint NEEDED WiMax due to being CDMA carriers and not having HSPA available to scale up their 3G speeds. By waiting a bit they managed to latch on to LTE and the rest is history. Also important to note is that Verizon is #1 in global procurement for smartphones with AT&T #2. That type of buying power is huge! 

I know Verizon/ATT were huge and have the power to (do whatever they feel fit). One thing I don't understand is, while GSM carriers embrace HSPA+, why no CDMA carrier embrace EVDO Rev B

Edited by dnwk

I know Verizon/ATT were huge and have the power to (do whatever they feel fit). One thing I don't understand is, while GSM carriers embrace HSPA+, why no CDMA carrier embrace EVDO Rev B

This is one of those long stories that gets repeating many times in the forums.  Maybe someone on this forum will want to explain it.

This is one of those long stories that gets repeating many times in the forums.  Maybe someone on this forum will want to explain it.

Maybe Robert should have a FAQ session. So that I won't need to ask every question you have wrote before.

Anyone else notice this on the sprint LTE website under the "4G LTE" section and "markets across the country".  I think this is great and I like this list of cities like Verizon and ATT display it.

If only Sprint will add a "4GLTE" icon on their LTE phones instead of a "4G" icon that would be great.

List of Sprint's current LTE markets

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/shop/why_sprint/4g/4g_lte_coverage_list.html?INTNAV=NET:MS:051313:4GLTE

Sprint LTE cities.jpg

• Like 1

This year Qualcomm is releasing MDM9x25 LTE-A chipsets w 10+10 carrier aggregation on board. We should be seeing first devices with this chipset in Q4 2013.

Also T-Mobile's LTE network is fully Release 10, they don't have to do pretty much any significant upgrade, it's LTE-Advanced ready. They are waiting on LTE-A UE availability, and the real need for LTE-A features as they're not really ready yet.

Also T-Mobile's spectrum is rather simple as they're deploying across only two bands.

• Like 1

In the end, the question will be, do we really need a 1Gbps speed on cellphone.

Of course we do :). Speeds may be good now, but won't be for long as more people start using it. LTE advanced will allow for greater speeds, capacity, and better cell edge performance.

• Like 1

Of course we do :). Speeds may be good now, but won't be for long as more people start using it. LTE advanced will allow for greater speeds, capacity, and better cell edge performance.

It is not a technical question. It is a philosophical question.

• Like 1